“Wonderful Italian Meal!!!!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We were a little set back when we walked in at 7:00 and we were the only ones in the restaurant. This was a gem of a find. Wonderful homemade pastas, many of my high maintenance guests ordered off the menu or asked for something special and they were very accommodating. Salads, entrees, desserts, wine, grappa and coffee and creme brulee were all wonderful. Only dissapointing thing was the credit card connection didn't work, kinda of annoying when you spend that much for a meal then have to scrape the money together to pay for it.

There are newer reviews for Valentino Italian Bistro

Reviewed 11 April 2013

We have been coming to St. Maarten for 10 years and should have known better, but...We were on our way to eat at one of our favorite Italian restaurants in the Maho area but it was closed (it was a Sunday night). So we headed back toward our timeshare and still in the mood for Italian food decided to stop at Valentino and give it a try. The place was eerily empty, but so far all the places have been in the short 4 days we have been here.

Menu looked appetizing and we thought we were in for a good treat. However that's where whatever promise existed came to an end. We ordered two appetizers - Rice Balls and Fried Mozzarella (how can you screw these up??). well they found a way as it seemed like these were taking out of the freezer and nuked in the microwave. They served these with a mayonnaise dressing instead of a marinara - we asked for marinara and 10 minutes later came the sauce which tasted like it was 5 steps below Ragu. Onto the main course now - the dishes arrived looking decent.

One of us had Gnocchi Bologenese, another Bracciole and I ordered Chicken Parmigiana. The Bolognese was the best (which doesn't say much out of all three) - it was edible which is more than I can say for the other two dishes. The Barcciole arrived looking like our fried appetizers and my Mom who had the dish said it looked like a "turd", which I cannot disagree with. According to her it did not taste any better. My Chicken Parmigiana tasted sour - some real weird taste and it also probably was nuked. The chicken was a weird shape kind of resembling a few Tyson Chicken nuggets/tenders arranged together. The pasta on the side, no lie, was about 5 pieces of spaghetti. I sent mine back and when the check came the server said the owner took 1/2 off. Sent it back with him to get it all taken off since the meal was inedible. Check came back all scribbled and it seemed like there was a bloated service charge which amounted to an additional $4-5 charge - wanting to get out of there as quick as possible so we just paid it and left.

There are so many good choices on St. Maarten, even within walking distance of this restaurant. I am hoping this closes down and opens up as another restaurant that serves edible food. Avoid this one like the plague - do not go!!!!

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We heard about this place from our italian friends living here on the Island. We just ask "where can we find a place to eat like our grandmothers cook?" The answer was quick and easy. The only place is "Valentino", tipical italian restaurant in the heart of Simpson Bay. Home made delicious fresh pasta and arancini (very rare to find all over the world). One time you try-you never gonna regret it. Was the best choise if you like the real italian cuisine. Whats more?yes this is the only place you can drink authentic espresso and cappuccino....thanks to our friend Silvia.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

My husband and i had a dinner at Valentino restaurant, it was excellent, the evening was perfect
espacially eating my favorite italian dish veal parm, ceasar' dressing AMAZING
!My husband had sea food pastas,it is something not to be miss>

Reviewed 31 March 2013

My husband and I would split rate this restaurant. He would give it a "very good". We have dined here twice before on a previous trip. It was so good, we went back a 2nd time. We went this time and was greeted by a closed door which was unusual, but it seems the waiter/host/bartender was one person that night and the door was probably closed as to not invite additional people in. We were seated in a comfortable semi-circle booth which could be combined with others to seat many more. I was not offered a wine list. I blindly ordered a chardonnay since it seemed he may have been overwhelmed. We ordered a caesar salad to split, veal parm and chicken parm. The caesar salad came with dressing and croutons on the side. I was not thrilled with the portion size or the fact I had to make it myself. It doesn't taste as good unless it is tossed in the dressing, in my opinion. I believe this was $13. I had debated ordered the beef carpacio, which was $16, and now I wish I did. My husband ordered his cocktail but it came incorrect but we did not bother to tell the solo server. Bread came to the table, no butter or oil offered. I waited until he went in the kitchen and took the olive oil off the server station. My husband attempted conversation with the server, but clearly he had too much to do. Despite this, our meals came out quickly. The red sauce is rich and sweet and absolutely delicious. The sauce had more flavor than what we had at IZI a few nights earlier (IZI was good, too, but different). My husband enjoyed his veal parm. My chicken parmesan was not as tender as I like, I am not sure if it was pounded too thin or maybe not exactly fresh but it wasn't great. We did not order dessert. Our bill, when converted into US (menu is in euros) was $90, which I think was steep for what we had. My husband paid without me looking at the bill, so I am not sure if there was a service charge/tax/or tip attached to it which sometimes happens in St.. Martin. Despite my whining, we will return again in a future trip. I will order gnocci or spaghetti and meatballs in order to get some more of that delicious red sauce. I am hoping they are more help next time so the gorgeous italian server has more time to chat me up with his awesome accent.