“Awesome food - service not so good”

Rancho Steak & Lobster
Ranked #49 of 111 Restaurants in Simpson Bay
Price range: US$10 - US$50
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, View, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Awesome food - service not so good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We loved our food but the waitress was not attentive and never around. The bartender actually came over to clean off our table. We were very disappointed. This was our second time to this restaurant and the same thing happened the first time. My husband did let the manager know.....

SBY
“Not Good At All”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I chose to dine here based on my drive from the airport on my Tuesday arrival - the place just looked good from the street view, so dinner was on Thursday. In hind sight, not a really good decision. For starters, parking is a problem if you drive. Their credit card machines were broken and the very polite and clearly embarrassed waitress pointed out to me that there was an ATM a block down from the restaurant. The place was near empty - just four tables had folks, and that's when I began to rethink my decision. I was seated on a table for four. No waiter showed up for several minutes. Then one waiter showed up to take away the other 3 settings, not a word, no intro, just nothing, as if I wasn't even there. Then I sat there for about 20 minutes when same guy finally came back to ask if I was ready to order. At this point, I felt obligated to check this place out. I actually complained to him that I still had not seen a waiter and he barked back at me that he was there earlier to clean "clean up" the table. By the way, while I sat there, the restaurant had two lady dancers "entertaining" all of us with Mexican music - they were pretty and all, but not what I want in a restaurant when all I want is food, and especially when the food is not coming. I could also see that the folks next to me were struggling cutting their stake dinner. It really looked bad.

I finally ordered my food - lobster salad. Terrible, just outright bad food. Greasy, bland and just not worth the near $50 I spent. I could have left during that near 20 minutes, but I really wanted to challenge this joint (I cook and love to sample food) and it did not meet my expectations.

Draper, Virginia
“Good Food, Haughty Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Food was very good. Did not take credit cards! Waitress thought she was doing us a favor by being there.

1 Thank geifried09
North Carolina
“Great food, kind of slow service, but price in menu may not be the real price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Our food was really good, three people at the table got the lobster & filet & I got the lobster fettucini. However, 2 of the menus stated different prices for the surf & turf meal - $10 price differences per meal and $10 difference for my meal as we'll - 1 menu stated another set of prices. When we questioned it upon ordering and pointing out the differences on the menus, the waitress just took our menus and told us that people keep telling her that & they haven't updated the prices in all of the menus and the prices were the $10 higher price. Strange. Anyway, this was another clear example of 'island time' too - we ordered drinks and it was like all wait staff disappeared. The restaurant wasn't really busy, only about 4 or 5 other tables were even seated. Anyway, eventually our drinks came, then our appetizers & dinner, our check even took a while to arrive, just culturally different I think. Everything was really good and the portions were good sized. I'm sure the view is great during the day or in the evening as the location is excellent, but I can't comment on that, as we went at night.

• Visited April 2014
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Calamari and View of the New Bridge!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

It was our first time going to Rancho's so did not know what to expect. We were seated by the water and had a great view of the lit up bridge! The restaurant was very quiet the evening we went, maybe 8 tables full. We had Mojito's which were made perfectly! We started with the calamari and it was nice'n crispy with a pretty average dipping sauce. We had the spaghetti bolognese and the scallop dish which weren't bad but pretty average. The calamari was the highlight of the meal! They were only accepting cash the night we went as the credit card machine was down. The 15% gratuity was already added to the bill but we had good service so had no issues. Would I return...... Maybe to try the steak!

1 Thank SALOttawa_Canada