“What a fantastic vacation!!!”

The Villas at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Melville, New York
“What a fantastic vacation!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

My family and I just returned yesterday from our stay at Simpson Bay. We stayed in the villas in a junior suite. The room was beautiful. We had absolutely no problems with any of the staff. Contrary to other reviews I found everyone I dealt with to be extremely helpful and courteous. There really isn't a need to rent a car as everything is within walking distance. As it is a time share, don't expect daily maid service. However they will come in and clean during your stay. We did a snorkeling trip on the Lambada and the sunset dinner cruise on the Tango. Both trips were booked through Aqua Mania on site at the resort. The crews we're fantastic! We had a great time on both. We will absolutely be returning to St. Maarten and will book at Simpson Bay again. I can't say enough good things about how we were treated by everyone while we were there.
Heather B.
Long Island, NY

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank HeatherB4838315

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
N.J.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

I just returned. The wife and I had great time again. Everybody on the beach was nice and also every employee that I need any service from. I'll be back again next year. The only dealings I have with the front desk is when I check in and out and never have any problems. Most of the time a cab is at the door if you need one. Also this is the Villas not the old Pelican but everybody I take with from that section was very happy. I would highly recommend this resort. With or without a rental car.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tommy3
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

My wife, myself and two twenty year old children just spent a week at the Simpson Bay Villas.. it's our third year there in Simpson Bay... While the room and grounds are fine, the service from the front desk and other areas needs improvement. The front desk staff definitely have a bad attitude and seem indifferent to any request you may have... Example: upon leaving, we requested a cab and were told that we had to give them $10 to hold the cab... I understand the reason for this but the explanation/attitude was not appropriate..

The old Pelican has a history of issues/employee unrest... it might be time to let the employees know that they have jobs due to tourists like us...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Smitty1012
Binghamton, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

We travel to St. Martin every year. Usually we stay on the French side but this year we invited our son and his girlfriend to join us so we decided to stay around Simpson Bay area where there is more action for younger adults . We stayed in the Villas (A and B side). Everything was fine with the rooms.
My concern was for all the things that you have to do not to be charged additional fees. During our stay I went to the Villas web site to see what ammenities were available. What they don't list are the fees associated with those ammenities.
You have to sign for beach towels and if you don't present your return receipt at check out you can be charged $25 per towel.
The exercise room was unstaffed when I entered. I hopped on a tread mill and when I finished a lady wanted to know if I had registered. I said I have a room key, she took the key and added a $6 charge to my room. After close inspection I did find a small sign informing you of the charge.
The kitchen area is stocked with dishes and glassware. The problem with that is if you don't clean and put everything away you are charged $75 for the maid to do it.
Most planes flying to the states leave in the afternoon. The Villas require a 10am check out and won't bend at all.
Overall it is nice place but you need to make sure that you know what you will be billed for.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank ny2sxm
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

We booked this hotel about a week before arrival on Hotels.com. It was a perfect "condo" setting for our family of four (we have two college-aged kids). We usually book two adjoining rooms at a resort and this was a great alternative.

We were placed in the newly renovated section. The room furnishings were great - everything clean, new and in good working order. The bay view was wonderful, but it was a 5 minute walk to the beach on the other side of the resort (not a big deal). All three TVs worked (see earlier complaints about satelite connections). Wifi was a bit slow at times but was usually fairly fast in the lobby. The gym was excellent (there was a $6.00 fee for each use) - however a weekly unlimited rate was also available.

The staff was friendly and accomodating. we never waited long for any requests. The area seemed safe - with lots of restaurants a short walk away. About the only complaint was that there is a beach bar nearby that played loud music until quite late each night (1:00 to 2:00 am).

A car is handy, but not at all necessary. It's a $20 cab ride from the airport to the hotel and there are rental car options available in the lobby. We rented a car one day and toured the island, but there are many other options for experiencing things around the island.

This is a time share place - but there was NO pressure. We were politely asked once if we were interested in hearing the presentation (which we declined). We were never bothered again.

Overall a great stay - I would recommend this facility and will stay here again if we return.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Mike8834
Weston, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

I have owned a villa since 1989 and have used it almost every year. there were years I felt the resort was on a downslide, but this past April I was very happily surprised. The resort was well maintained, our villa clean with everything in good working order, the pool and beach were wonderful, the Spa still has the best massages (although the price went up), we had luck at the casino and the restaurants, both at the resort and those within walking distance were delicious. The Island is small and I recommend a car rental. There are so many fabulous restaurants. The drive to Orient Beach is well worth it. If you're a first timer... The road to the Orient public beach is the turn you make to the Butterfly Farm. My only disappointment - I love daily maid service and the resort only provides one mid- week cleaning.

Room Tip: The Villas (sleep six) are right on the beach with the pool (floating bar) and Spa just steps from y...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lse1030
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

Love everything about the Villas at Simpson Bay. From the bellmen to the front desk staff to the cleaning staff. They are the most accommodating and pleasant people. St. Maarten is a place I love to visit. This was my second time staying here but my fourth on the island. If you call the front desk and request something you get it done within minutes. I feel relaxed the minute I get there until the minute I leave. I was there to celebrate my birthday and they made me feel special. When staying there I highly recommend The Stone Restaurant on the resort grounds.

Room Tip: Stayed on an upper level room, 6th floor. Beautiful views there.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Flamingo Beach Resort
Flamingo Beach Resort
#1 of 6 in Philipsburg
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,220 reviews

Been to The Villas at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!