“Good place”

The Villas at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
“Good place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay, if you dont mind that your room remain uncleaned for 3 days and before weekend you will be removed from your room because owner is coming. Not very friendly stuff in the internet corner... most unfriendly white american girl. Black are the best here. Very nice especially on the beach area. All near, reataurants, busses. We rented car for 55usd for a day, but no need, you can reach Marigot and Philipsburg taking bus nearby for 1-3usd. Very often coming. Great place to stay for a weekend not longer. The entrance from villas to tge beach a bit complicated, from 3 floor. No place to wash your foots before entering the room. A lot of pelicans on the bay. If you want you room cleaned ask it when checking in. Dont forget deposit 150usd I dont even know if will be refunded. Cheap diamonds. Tax free. Take a lot of money with you. Dinner for 2 60usd with glass of wine. Stone restaurant is the best near the pool area. In market nearby you can by everething and heat it microwave here. Views are beautiful. Try local rum Gusvaberry. Normal price 18 usd, most of the shops sell 22-29usd. Viktoria from Estonia

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

What a beautiful place to stay. We were not expecting such a gorgeous apartment to stay in. We were expecting a hotel room. It had everything including granite counter tops. It made paradise in St Maarten even more beautiful. and every room in the place overlooks the lagoon and beach. Sooo beautiful to wake up to everyday. However they didn't replace the shampoo and conditioner everyday. AND, you pay Timeshare taxes whether you like it or not. I'm sorry, I was not looking for a timeshare. I was looking for a place to stay for two weeks. But unfortunately you find that out after you are there and stuck with it. AND they add a $1 per day to your bill for some charity and you have to tell them to take it off your bill if you don;t actually want to donate to that charity!! Not cool. We ate at the Green House a lot and Loved it every time.

Room Tip: Every room is a good room because they all face the water. Just make sure you get in the NEW buildin...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TSalter
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Nice place with good beach, great Mahi Mahi sandwich at beach bar, cold beer and nice view. Stopped on way back from Anguilla, close to airport and walk to shopping and restaurants. Rooms are clean with nice view from small patio, have fridge and microwave.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank skodie
Sebring, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Four of us shared a 2 Bedroom at Simpson Bay and loved it. We loved the area, the rooms, the beach and really enjoyed eating at Bon Appetit, Simpson Bay which is right on site and within walking distance the Greenhouse Simpson Bay . Both were wonderful places to eat and we were never disappointed!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Villas were outstanding .... recently renovated with granite countertops, comfortable bed and great shower, to name a few of the nice details. View was teriffic, and the staff went out of their way to be sure we were happy & comfortable. Spent the first night in the resort, as the time share was scheduled for saturday check-in. The resort room was terrible; cannot imagine how old it was .... kind of scary, too. Be sure you stay in the Villas only... the best !!

Room Tip: try to get on an upper floor - the views are great.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sisafrisWisconsin
Cincinnati OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I stayed in a studio unit (703B) 11/2-11/10. I was so worried this unit was going to be too small but it just fine for our needs. There was plenty of room in the closet to hang all of our clothes and store our 2 big suitcases. The space in the dresser drawer was plenty. I was happy to have actual drawers in the bathroom to put all of my toiletries in versus keeping everything on the counter. The balcony is small but not too small. They do have too much furniture on it but we just moved the foot stools so we had more space. The views from the balcony were stunning. One morning we woke up to a rainbow over the bay!

The downside to the room is the beds are uncomfortable and the pillows were terrible! It was hard to get a good night sleep. The bed kind of sunk in the middle. I asked for new pillows but never received them. We just dealt with it, it wasn't a deal breaker. For those who enjoy quiet when you sleep you will be happy. The air conditioner is very quiet, as a matter of a fact it was too quiet for me! The lighting in the bathroom is terrible! We went out one night and I went in to a bathroom that was very lit and couldn't believe how terrible my makeup looked, lol. The showerhead in the bathroom has no pressure, it would take us forever to rinse the shampoo out of our hair. And the water temp always fluctuated, either cold, warm or scolding hot. Again none of these are deal breakers just inconveniences.

We did not have much communication with staff or the concierge so I can't really comment on that.

I was surprised at how close the beach was after reading reviews I thought it was like a 5 min walk when in actuality it was more like a 2 min walk. The beach area is a great place to sit and watch the sunset. Several evenings we just pulled up the beach chairs to the edge of the water, got a beer from the bar/restaurant right there and just relaxed watching the sunset and cruise ships go by which I thought was very neat.

You are within walking distance of a lot of great restaraunts and bars. Our favorite little beach bar was Labamba (sp?) on the beach. Amy the bartender was super nice. Make sure you go on Tuesday night for Latin night and free lessons. I had my first salsa lesson and had lots of fun. They also had a live rock band on Sunday night I believe.

We utilized Aqua Mania for 3 trips - Snorkeling at Prickly Pear/Anguilla, my husband took a fishing charter and we went to Saba for a day trip. The Lambda (sp?) catamaran was a great trip! I definitely recommend it. My husband's fishing charter with Roy's Deep Sea Fishing was his best deep sea fishing trip ever. He caught a wahoo and several barracuda. The trip to Saba was nice, it was neat to see a different type of island but I could have passed on this trip. Mainly because it was further than I expected and since I get sea sick it was not a very enjoyable ride. The island itself was beautiful.

I will post more about our trip later as far as restaurants, day trips, shopping, etc. But if you have any questions let me know. We did rent a car which I think is the only way to see the entire island. This was our first trip and we are already planning a return in 2 years! We will probably stay here again because of the location! Hopefully they will have better pillows :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jamiekm
Haverhill, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

My husband & I have travelled to the Caribbean before so we did have some knowledge of what to expect.
I will begin with the positive, little as that is. The accomodations themselves were very nice, clean and comfortable.
That is where the positive ends.
Getting to the resort was not easy as it is not well marked (we exchanged a timeshare via II and the directions said to follow signs). For other people, head east from the airport and turn right at the Burger King.
The check in process was long (about an hour) but we understood the wait somewhat because there are not many planes spaced out over time that land on the island. We met some very nice people (other travelers) while standing in line. After a long day of travelling, I went to the lobby bar to buy my husband and I a drink. This was my first taste of the resort's "hospitality". The bartender was rude, more preoccupied with personal business. The attendant at the front desk was no better; I highly suggest that the resort train their staff better AND let new visitors know that much of the information we need to know about the resort and the area is in an obscurely titled magazine in the unit. The only way we found this out was by questioning the front desk (another not so friendly person) the next day when we had no idea about where the laundry facilities are, etc.
The concierge staff was more interested in having us come to a presentation than helping us out. No one we met on staff was at all friendly or helpful. Not saying they aren't there somewhere. We talked to several staff and not one was friendly.
Note, this extends to the local grocery stores, aqua sports and gift shops (none of which are affiliated to the resort, as I understand, but still.....you're limited as to where you can go for groceries).
Every other resort I've stayed at (not necessarily Caribbean) has printed boarding passes for free. This resort charges $0.50 per page. That is if you can find a concierge or willing front desk person to help you out.
The final insult was when we checked out. We were NOT asked how our stay was. I would have been polite about it, but it was as if he couldn't wait to get rid of us and believe me, we were not annoying or out of control guests.
To the general manager, if you read this, please please please!!! Have your staff take lessons from any resort in Mexico as to how to treat guests!

Room Tip: Get a room on the beach side. While the view of the bay and the limited grounds are nice, we were di...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Flamingo Beach Resort
Flamingo Beach Resort
#1 of 6 in Philipsburg
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,219 reviews

Been to The Villas at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!