“A surprising hidden gem”

The Tides Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #55 of 115 Restaurants in Simpson Bay
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We spent one night at Mary's Boon before heading over to Oyster Pond. All staff at Mary's Boon are warm, welcoming and helpful. We were enjoying a pre-dinner cocktail when a staff member told us the special of the evening was Mahi, my favorite fish. So we went into the dining room and were seated at a beautiful table overlooking the ocean. Our server was very attentive and pleasant. We started with some french bread and delicious garlic butter. Then on to some escargot in garlic butter topped with cheese, delicious. Next was Caesar salad, which was crisp and okay, I like it more tangy with anchovies, but that is a personal preference. Then our entrees were served, plating was beautiful and hubbys chicken and my mahi were cooked to perfection. Dessert was cream brulee, which I prefer very torched on top. It had good taste but I like it very crunchy on top.

The next day we had some garlic parmesan wings and fries for lunch. Covered with sliced parm, cooked crisp and delicious.

Overall, a gem of a find with reasonable prices and good service. Would definitely return.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Located in Mary's Boon Hotel which is on Simpson Bay which is one of the best beaches on St Maarten. Great dining room or enjoy lunch on the beach and the food was really good. Prices were about what we would think for the Island,service to us was very good and friendly. We also stayed at the Hotel and the rooms are very nice a many have been recently updated. The property had nice gardens and is really a charming hotel. Very nice staff and will will go back for sure.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We were not satisfied with a recent visit to Mary's Boon beach bar. Although the beach is glorious and there were chairs available for us to sit on, my husband and I waited more than twenty minutes for a drink. Finally, he went to the bar and bought us 2 rum punches. The bartender seemed to be unsure of the price and ultimately charged us $18 for two rum punches in plastic glasses. Since we spend a lot of time on the island, we were taken aback by the unusually high price for two lacklustre cocktails. After some discussion, we decided the bartender must have been confused and charged us in dollars instead of guilders. We politely called over the very busy waiter who estimated a rum punch should cost about $5-6. We told him what we had paid and he marched off to check it out. He never did return but to his credit, the beach was full and there was only one other waitress in sight. We didn't want to make a fuss on our day out so we left and walked over to Karacter's Beach Bar next door where we were greeted before we even found a seat. There were at least six servers and the drinks were lovely, served in big glasses and for less money. I still don't quite understand what went wrong but it's a shame because Mary's Boon has a nice funky feel to it. Hopefully, it was just a one-off but I would recommend asking for a menu before ordering here.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I normally dont write reviews but this was a pretty cool little bar restaurant tucked away. We were beach walking and noticed the chairs and decided to sit and have a drink. They were very nice and let us sit there and didnt charge us anything. We had a great view and just lounged around.
Later we went ahead and ate there and got to see the sun set. Its a restaurant like you would imagine on the islands, open and lots of fresh air. The food was good and the people nice.
Just seems like a nice place to stop for a while.
Only wish I was able to visit there more often!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stopped for lunch, for a different view of Simpson Bay. We both had the grilled fish sandwich with fries, very filling and at a decent price. Will have to go back.