“The onlt place you want to eat Thai food on the island”
Review of Panlaan Thai on the Bay - CLOSED

Panlaan Thai on the Bay
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian, Steakhouse, Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The only waterfront Thai restaurant in St. Maarten. Authentic Thai cuisine in a tranquil waterfront surrounding with both, indoor and outdoor seating...Open everyday. Lunch 12pm-3pm Monday-Friday Dinner 6pm-10pm Sunday-Thursday Dinner 6pm-11pm Friday-Saturday
Grand Haven, Michigan, USA
“The onlt place you want to eat Thai food on the island”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

This is what friends told us who live on the island. As we've never eaten Thai food anywhere else on St Matin/St Maarten, we have to trust our firends. I will say that we had the best Thai food we can remember ever, and the service was excellent. We had tom ka gai soup, spring rolls, larb, green curry, stir fry and fried rice, and everything was tasty and apprpriately spiced. We ordered medium spice, but my husband added the hot oil for an extra kick. I will definitely return for another Thai meal.

Worcester, Massachusetts
“Where else, but Panlaan for Thai!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The wife and I had been to Panlaan earlier in the week for a special wine tasting put on by a private party. The food pairings that came out with the wine were fantastic, so we decided to go back later in the week. Well, we were not disappointed as the food was the best Thai that I had every had, and the service was outstanding. When I go back to the island again in October, this will be one of our stops, if not multiple times. My initial visit was during the 1st week of November, 2013.

• Visited November 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Great lunch on the lagoon”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We love Thai food and Panlaan for lunch makes it very affordable. I judge Thai food by their pad thai and if they overwhelm me with it then I go back and explore. We dine here once a month and haven't been disappointed.

• Visited March 2014
Sint Maartensdijk, The Netherlands
“Cockroach, poor service and a bad stomach”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is our second time at Panlaan and like many restaurants they start out really good and go down hill really fast.

We arrived and were seated and there were about 10-12 others in the restaurant. Waiters and waitresses were stood around with nothing to do. Our server arrived, we ordered our drinks and it took 25 minutes for 2 drinks. With the amount of staff stood around doing nothing it was embarrassing. Then we asked for 2 glasses of wine and the girl behind the bar was far more interested in everything else than getting our drinks, we approached the bar and asked where our drinks were and were met with a grunt which basically told us where we could go.

We were sat outside and my partner felt something like a cat rubbing against her leg? No cat, just a huge cockroach that then crawled into her handbag.

We ordered our food, asked for mild and it was medium to hot. I had a mixed seafood curry and it was frozen, nasty, rubbery, processed junk. When you pay $30 for an Entree you expect fresh at least.

During dinner we were literally "smoked out" by other diners around us. One table was smoking so bad we had to move. Then the table next to us lit up just as our meal was served and WE had to ask them to put their cigarettes out.
Its a large enough area so why can't they just figure out a non-smoking and smoking area? Serious lack of thought and customer care.
Check arrived and at $150 for a couple drinks, starter and entree we were disgusted, oh and the classic 15% Gratuity that I am expected to pay for what?

Just to top it all off, I spent most of the night and the next day on the bathroom relieving myself of the nasty seafood I ate for dinner.

This place will not survive if they continue on this path, shame as once it was actually nice.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank SXM F
E. Palatka, Florida
“Excellent Thai Food”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Since traveling to Thailand, Thai food has become our passion. The green curry with vegetables, the Pad Thai, and the homemade hot sauce were out of this world. Some of the best we've had outside of Thailand.

• Visited April 2014