See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Stayed here from 10th til 16th May 13. Carter is a really genuine and helpful guy, even gave me some aftersun he had for my sunburn! Location really couldn't be better, some reviews mention excessive noise but if I'm honest, I didn't notice it once.
Rooms are very clean and adequate, maid service every day except Sunday.
Pool is small to be fair but it does the job and there are a few sunbeds and umbrellas.
Plenty of bars and restaurants within easy walking distance, and if you fancy a big sandwich, with hot or cold fillings I would recommend "Little Jerusalem', about 1 minute from the hotel, beats Subway any day!
I went for the aviation really, and two days running I walked to and from the Sunset Beach Bar on Maho Beach, took me 40-45 minutes, but very frequent busses will do the same job for about $1.50.
So would I recommend the Turquoise Shell Inn?
Yeah absolutely, I'd happily return in a heartbeat.

Date of stay: May 2013
Reviewed 16 May 2013

My wife and I stayed there for one night, first week in May. The place was clean, with a kitchen, very close to all the restaurants and the airport. The owner was very friendly. The beach was right out back. Would stay again.

Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tyrone G
Reviewed 25 April 2013

If you are seeking a quiet, clean and accessable stay, look no further, this littel gem is just tucked away from all the action. Nestled between two pristine turquoise waterways and just a stone thorws from all the excitement and fun of Dutch St. Maartin.Walk out your back door and you are on beautiful Simpson Bay or relax by the tropical setting of a cool size pool and more. Very European and unsuspectiing this Inn is the place to relax and still get to were things are happening in a short stroll. Carter is the ideal host always available to help get you where you need to be. We stayed a long while and look forward to a speedy return. We had access to more then one room and they were all comfy, clean and much like home. We loved it!!!

Room tip: Best Internet in town- you dont need a car-
Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We stayed at this inn the week of Easter. It is just 7-10 min from airport but planes only fly from 8 am to 9-10 pm. We were not bothered by airplane noise at all. The place is small and somewhat outdated. However, it is very clean, has kitchen and provides maid service. AC is only in the bedroom. Keep the bedroom door open and put the fan they provide in the doorway to blow cold air to the living-room area.The location is right on the Simpson Bay strip with lots of restaurants and bars within walking distance. In the back of the inn there is Simpson Bay beach. It is clean with lots of seashells. Water was calm in daytime, but some waves after 3 pm. There is no shade or chairs. You will need an umbrella but chairs can be provided by the inn. They had some to borrow. Unfortunately that Friday and Saturday were big party nights across the street at the bar. The music was blasting through the speakers from 11:30 pm until 3:30 am. 2 NIGHTS IN A ROW!!! It was horrible. We could not sleep for 2 nights. And we had a child with us. Maybe it was only during holiday weekend. But you've been warned. The inn has terrible WiFi service and connection. You have to sit outside by the pool to get connection. Not all the rooms have the phone. You have to go to main office to use their phone. There is an international charge to call from Dutch to French side. The pool is basic. Lots of mosquitoes at night, especially by the pool. The do have shaded parking which was great. Overall, the location is busy, beach is acceptable, inn is clean and service is good. I have to mention Norman (I think). When our ride to the airport was late, he stopped what he was doing and drove us, refused to accept any tip. Great guy!

Room tip: not all rooms have phone. No good view from any room.
Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
TShellSxm, Owner at Turquoise Shell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2013

The issue of noise has been mentioned in other reviews. It CAN be a problem on the weekend nights. Especially for those that are light sleepers. The inn is in the heart of Simpson Bay which is very convenient for walking to stores, bars, and restaurants. but the loud music is a problem. Several businessse and residents in the area have contacted authorities and ask for help. We have been assured MANY times that the noise ordinances would be enforced. Unfortunately, the police and government here in St Maarten are not always effective in this area. We continue to request the help of authorities and there may actually be a court case started against the loud music producers. But for now, I can only warn guests and apologize for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

There is a karaoke bar next door to Turquoise Inn & the very loud music lasted tlill 3 am & then there was some sort of beeping right outside our window....so it was a sleepless night. There were mosquito nets in the room....not sure why?

Room tip: Atrium was better...but staff at front desk was rude.
Date of stay: March 2013