These are really good clean apartments, just behind a rather nice beach and close to bars, restaurants, coffee shops and 7-11s. Try walking along the beach at sunset watching planes take off and land and great birds diving for fish - there's a really cool bar near the end too.
The apartments are a good size with a separate lounge, bedroom & shower & a fully fitted kitchen area with fridge & cooker so you can cook / make picnics. There is a good premium cable TV package - got BBC America which gets my vote.
Carter & the staff were very friendly & helpful - arranged great value car hire for us (US$25 a day) and lent us coolbags, beachmats and snorkels/masks.
We had a great time on St Maarten - in large part thanks to the help from the team at Turquoise Inn. I would recommend a car to get round the small island - it means you can go to the French side and explore lots of beaches, which really are stunning. Another must is to go to Maho beach and watch the planes coming in - it feels like you could reach up and touch them they are that close. And buy baguettes - really crisp and French.
Only a few minor drawbacks - wifi is patchy - but free and you can get a signal if you wander round the car park a bit. There was a lot of loud music on Friday & Saturday night, but earplugs dealt with that, and an air conditioner on an adjacent building could be a bit loud during the day - but zipping off to the beach dealt with that.
I would recommend the nearby Byblos lebanese restaurant - excellent food, good wine & gentle live music.
Overall great value for money, your own space to relax in, helpful and friendly people, a beautiful and relaxing island. If that's not a description of Excellent, then I don't know what is.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A small 10 room Inn located in the heart of Simpson Bay. Easy walking distance to all manner of shopping. Simpson Bay beach just our the back gate. Each unit is a small one bedroom apartment with equipped kitchen and private air cionditioned bedroom ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Turquoise Shell Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Turquoise Shell Hotel Simpson Bay
- Turquoise Shell Simpson Bay
- Turquoise Shell Inn St Martin / St Maarten/Simpson Bay