All reviewsclose to the airportbeach towelsst martinunittimeshare
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here in March 2013 and I just had to write a review about it. When we arrived Carter was there waiting for us. He greeted us with a smile and showed us around the well kept property and our entire trip he was there to answer any questions we had. The T-Shell is in the perfect location and a quick walk across a back lane takes you to a great spot on Simpson Bay beach. We always felt it was "our" beach as there were never many others around, which we loved. A great beach to walk...The room at the inn met our needs perfectly. We've done the large resort all inclusive and needed a change. We plan on returning March 2014 once again. There are all kinds of restaurants, bars, grocery stores all around the T-Shell so no need to rent a vehicle unless you really want to go further. (The buses are cheap cheap) Once again, I can't say enough good things about the T-Shell, so if you are thinking about visiting...don't hesitate. Any quesions please pm me and I'd be glad to answer the best I can.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cabanagirl2
TShellSxm, Owner at Turquoise Shell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

We appreciate those that take the time to review our little Inn. It is a great compliment when a guest choses to return. It make us feel like we are doing at least some of the right things.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

I chose the T Shell Inn because of other reviews I found here. It did not disappoint! The rooms are pleasant, clean and offer all the necessary amenities. The beach is close by and a pleasant place to walk or sit and sip a beer. Close to good restaurants and a wonderful French bakery! Carter will help you find a good place to eat or make sure a taxi is there to take you to the airport!

If you're looking for a resort experience, this isn't the place for you. If you want a nice, clean place to stay that's also close to the airport, I think you'll enjoy it here. We were especially appreciative of the A/C in the bedroom -- didn't really need it in the living room, since that has a nice ceiling fan.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank wishaas
Reviewed 1 June 2013

The Turquoise Shell Inn has a lot to offer for a very reasonable price. Steps away from the beach on Simpson Bay, which is beautiful and quiet.. Many restaurants with in walking distance. The rooms are extremely clean and the little kitchen is another perk. The manager, Carter, is so helpful and knows the island so well you feel like family right away. I hope I will return next year ,
and you can bet I will stay at the T SHELL INN.. While on the island I recommend you try Byblos Lounge and Restaurant also on Simpson Bay excellent food and great staff ...Some nights they have music and a belly dancer.....FUN FUN FUN......................

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2013

First off, I've got to say straight up that the Turquoise Shell Inn is not a luxury hotel or resort, so if you're looking for 5-star style pampering and accomodation, this isn't for you. What the TSI does offer is clean, comfortable accomodation centrally located. And the welcome and service given by the main man - Carter - really puts the icing on the cake.

TSI is located off the main street through Simpson Bay. You get to it by passing through the car park of a local bank. Its situation - well back from the street, but sandwiched between it and the beach - is a good one affording a nice level of privacy and security.

The hotel is small - only 10 rooms, each with a fully fitted kitchenette and separate bedroom. The kitchen facilities gave us options for breakfast, and a constant source of ice and cold drinks. Bathroom and bedroom were both basic but clean and comfortable (air condiioning is provided in the bedroom only). The hotel encourages recycling (+++!) and also asks guests to reuse towels whenever they can, although there is no problem with changing these every day if you want to. There is a small swimming pool within the hotel courtyard. We spent many hours just sitting in or around the pool soaking up the sun and sipping rum punch. Step out a small gate from the courtyard and you are right on to the southern tip of a lovely sandy beach that runs off into the distance towards the airport. If you want to spend some time on the beach, Carter is happy to provide you with chairs and other accessories you might need.

Some previous reviewers mention the noise levels, but I can't say that they affected us much. We are definitely not night owls, but I can honestly say that even on a Friday/Saturday evening the noise coming from the local bars wasn't enough to keep us awake. I had earplugs with me but didn't need to use them. Still an idea to pack them though, if you are a light sleeper. The other noise concern people might have is the proximity to the airport. Again, we did not find this to be an issue at all. The airport is not all that busy as far as big jets go, and the only time you really hear them is on takeoff when they fly directly overhead. There seems to be only about 8 to 10 departures per day involving larger aircraft, and they stop early evening. Really nothing much to worry about at all.

The Turquoise Shell is very centrally located in Simpson Bay and handy for several good bars, restaurants, and local shops. I can particularly recommend The Palms bar/restaurant, almost right next door.

To recap, don't book The TSI if you want resort level comfort where you are waited on from head to toe. If you want a clean and comfortable place to get your head down, get a warm local welcome, and offering value for money in a good location then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
TShellSxm, Owner at Turquoise Shell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

I would like to thank this guest for a complete and honest review. We do try to make our visitors comfortable and like to hear when they have enjoyed their time at the T shell

Reviewed 27 May 2013

These are really good clean apartments, just behind a rather nice beach and close to bars, restaurants, coffee shops and 7-11s. Try walking along the beach at sunset watching planes take off and land and great birds diving for fish - there's a really cool bar near the end too.

The apartments are a good size with a separate lounge, bedroom & shower & a fully fitted kitchen area with fridge & cooker so you can cook / make picnics. There is a good premium cable TV package - got BBC America which gets my vote.

Carter & the staff were very friendly & helpful - arranged great value car hire for us (US$25 a day) and lent us coolbags, beachmats and snorkels/masks.

We had a great time on St Maarten - in large part thanks to the help from the team at Turquoise Inn. I would recommend a car to get round the small island - it means you can go to the French side and explore lots of beaches, which really are stunning. Another must is to go to Maho beach and watch the planes coming in - it feels like you could reach up and touch them they are that close. And buy baguettes - really crisp and French.

Only a few minor drawbacks - wifi is patchy - but free and you can get a signal if you wander round the car park a bit. There was a lot of loud music on Friday & Saturday night, but earplugs dealt with that, and an air conditioner on an adjacent building could be a bit loud during the day - but zipping off to the beach dealt with that.

I would recommend the nearby Byblos lebanese restaurant - excellent food, good wine & gentle live music.

Overall great value for money, your own space to relax in, helpful and friendly people, a beautiful and relaxing island. If that's not a description of Excellent, then I don't know what is.

Room Tip: I'd try for an apartment closer to the main buiding / beach.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple