“One of the funnest, most relaxing places to visit in the world!”

Turquoise Shell Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Reviewed 15 October 2009

I just completed my third trip to the Turquoise Shell Inn in the last two years. I now feel like I'm "coming home" when I visit the Turquoise Shell. Carter, Marcus and Polly are so hospitalble, and the Inn is perfect! The rooms are clean, comfortable, and the location is centrally located on the island. I can't believe I have received so much on these trips, and the price is SO reasonable! I am already planning another trip in the spring!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank wjjhd

Reviewed 14 October 2009

My sister has visited the Turquoise Shell Inn several times and highly recommended it for a pre-high season get-away.... and I was not disappointed. The proprietors were extremely gracious and the accomodations were quite comfortable and relaxing. The location along Simpson Bay allowed walking to a variety of restaurants, shops, bars and casinos. And of course a beautiful beach setting is just a hop and a skip away. I believe I have found my St. Maarten haven for future visits.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank DJHerm
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We have timeshare at The Pelican Club that runs from Saturday to Saturday in February of each year. We like to spend a couple of extra days in St. Maarten, and this past year we stayed 3 days/nights at the T-Shell Inn. Carter and Marcus are WONDERFUL hosts; the T-Shell is EXTREMELY clean and quaint, and very affordable. The location is EXCELLENT - walking distance to many great restaurants. Ask Marcus or Carter to recommend a few restaurants on the island. They won't steer you wrong. We will be going back February 2010 and have already reserved our room the T-Shell !!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MichiganBarb
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We had a great time. The rooms were very clean and the staff was very friendly. Having a kitchen was extremely helpful when it came to filling our drinks while at the pool. We were walking distance from the convenience store and a dozen good restaurants (especially for "foodies"). We took local transportation to all of the shopping on both sides - Dutch and French - and found some great deals.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank 64ballerina
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Stayed there one night after timeshare, very clean. Cute little place with enough room, and even a small kitchen to cook. Would certainly stay again.Beach just steps away. Carter couldn't be more accommodating.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luckydogpa
TShellSxm, Manager at Turquoise Shell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We hope you enjoyed your visit to Sint Maarten and look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 14 August 2009

My wife and I researched the hotels in Sint Maarten quite a bit before finally settling on the Turquoise Shell Inn, and I must say that I'm glad we did.

First of all, the setting. Unlike resorts or other large chains, this hotel didn't have that artificial feel to it. When you stay at one of these types of places, it makes no difference where in the world it is, as it all feels the same-- a very Westernized-type hotel. When I go on vacation I like to experience the place I'm visiting. This hotel lets you do just that, because it's a small place just off the side of the main road. The beach behind the hotel isn't at all busy, so most of the time my wife and I had the entire beach to ourselves!

The surrounding area is quite safe. My wife and I had no problems walking around late at night, and indeed Carter confirmed with us that you can walk around even at 2 in the morning, no problem. The one thing that I really liked in this area is that it's quiet at night. I've read many reviews about the Maho Beach and similar areas, and how loud they are at night with the partying at whatnot. We had no trouble sleeping thanks to the peaceful surroundings.

The room itself was phenomenal. We had one on the first floor that had a small outdoor patio, a sitting area indoor with a TV, a kitchenette (the fridge came in very handy), a separate bedroom, and of course a bathroom. Everything was very clean and well-maintained. The only complaint I have about the room is the bed. It's on the hard side, but not so much so that it prevented us from sleeping.

Now the staff, which in my opinion was the best part of staying at the hotel. Both Carter and Marcus are two very friendly people who make the experience that much more enjoyable. They are extremely helpful, kind and knowledgeable about the local area, and even other parts of the island. The first day we arrived we asked about restaurant recommendations, and they gave us a very complete list of all the restaurants in the area along with their personal recommendations. Thanks to them, we never had a bad meal.

We also met up with the woman who does the housekeeping (alas, I can't remember her name) who is also very amicable. Trustworthy too, so don't worry about leaving your valuables in the room as we did many times.

All in all, this was an absolutely fantastic hotel to stay at, and if I ever go back to Sint Maarten, I would definitely stay here again. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay in a reasonably-priced, quiet hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AC_LF
Reviewed 19 July 2009

As a solo traveler I try to find smaller hotels when I travel, So I went to trip advisor and checked out hotels in St Maarten. The Turquoise Shell Inn received so many fantastic reviews that I decided to make a reservation
Carter and Marcus are the consummate hosts and TShell Inn was everything I could have hoped for from the booking process on line to my wonderful (but too short )stay,the rooms are immaculately clean, all with fully equipped kitchen, separate bathroom and living room. Ideal if you want to eat in, or have breakfast before setting out for the day. There are supermarkets a two minute walk away.The hotel has books to read, beach bags, beach chairs and towels available, free WI Fi and the beach is just outside the back door.it is also very close to shopping and many fine restaurants.
You really can't go wrong. The best part Carter and Marcus. I felt as if I was staying with friends and there is no higher recommendation than that!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
#2 of 8 in Oyster Pond
The Summit Hotel
The Summit Hotel
#1 of 2 in Cupecoy Bay

Been to Turquoise Shell Inn? Share your experiences!