“New star in Simpson Bay”
Review of Charter House 1863

Charter House 1863
Ranked #22 of 115 Restaurants in Simpson Bay
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: International
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Formerly the restaurant Saratoga, Charter House 1863 is everything you'd want in a sophisticated, upscale dining experience. On the Lagoon side this spectacular building and setting was a real eye opener. Seemingly unassuming from it's modest looking entrance but once inside, wow - a gorgeous space with a soaring teak ceiling inside and charming lagoon side open air balcony with a great view of the yachts docked there.
The ambience, food and service were superb; the specials featured a perfectly done filet mignon paired with a half Maine lobster in the shell but nicely separated with a drawn butter caper sauce to die for. The steak was perfectly cooked, very thick and fork tender. One of our party had the other nightly special, a very excellent cod steak. The menu featured several other cuts of meat and seafood dishes.
All I can add is that NY steak houses have absolutely nothing on this place!
Unfortunately they will be closing for the season in a few days so we will have to wait till November to satisfy our craving for the island's best steaks...

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had a wonderful meal tonight. For starters we recommend the lobster/shrimp bisque- we have had this many times before and made it twice (a lot of work!) and this would be in top three (the other two were in France). The other starter was the day's risotto- a lightly flavored dish with Thai seasoning- also very good. Then I had the rib eye- medium rare- it was done perfectly with flavorful house butter and very fresh small potatoes and spinach. This was at 12oz too big for me to finish. My husband had the roast pork- was moist very well seasoned and sides were very good. He finished all of his and the rest of my rib eye. We were full but desserts sounded great so we shared a mango tarte tatin with sorbet on side. Very very tasty. To drink a nice and well priced Malbec. Altogether one of the best dining experiences on the Dutch side we have ever had- with outstanding service and lovely setting adding greatly to the evening. The price seemed reasonable for the quality. We strongly recommend. We have been time sharers for 25 yrs and are from NYC.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

It was our 1st night in St Maarten and we were eager to try the fine dining touted in St. Maarten. My husband saw Charter House advertised on TV so we decided to go. It is conveniently located within walking distance our hotel. We started with the foie gras which had cold and hot spots and we felt was just ok. When we told the waiter he seemed stunned and I would say almost insulted. My husband opted for 2 other appetizers instead of a main entree, beef carpaccio and a scallop dish. Both were good. I had the crusted fried pork tenderloin. Was it good? Yes exceptional? No. My husband is not a big complainer but if something is a little off with the food he will say something. He did mention that the foie gras was just ok and the temperature differences on that plate to another server because the first server didn't return to us after the 1st comment. They said they were sorry, but I'm sorry to say my husband got very sick in the middle of the night and vomitted up his dinner. Thankfully he felt better by late morning the next day. The setting is pretty but the food is average to me for its high price level. We were shocked to find out they were rated 2nd best in St Maarten. Sorry but we will not be returning there to dine again.

1  Thank blee19
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary here. We sat on the outdoor terrace right on Simpson Bay Lagoon. The indoor space is beautiful, too. Service was excellent, food was very good. Still, we felt it was a bit overpriced. We used to go to Peg Leg for a good steak. The steaks here were good, but not quite as good and cost a bit more. Unfortunately, Peg Leg closed due to a hefty rent increase. I was hoping that Charter House 1863 would be a replacement for Peg Leg, but I'm still looking.

1  Thank Lori B
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

This place has it all! Good food, attentive service and a prime location. My fiancé and I enjoyed our dinner sitting right on the marina with a bottle of wine. The service is top notch and do yourself a favor and order which ever risotto they have on special for that day! I will say it wasn't our most affordable meal on the island but you really do get what you pay for! I will definitely be back!

2  Thank Erin V