“Fantastic Foie Gras”

Price range: US$24 - US$50
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Romantic French Restaurant by the water in the Grand Case Bay since 1981
Fort Worth, Texas
“Fantastic Foie Gras”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This is a review of one appetizer only as this was part of a rather whirlwind night of dining at 3 different restaurants: L'Escapade (appetizer), Le Tastevin (appetizer again, entrees), and L'Auberge Gourmande (dessert and cognac)

We visited L'Escapade after a very nice young Frech woman (who worked at a neat shop on Grand Case main street) recommended it for the best foie gras she has had outside her native France. After telling her I had never had foie gras she said L'Escapade had the best foie gras from the Toulouse region of France..so I I opted to somehow to fit it into our evening despite already having dinner reservations at Le Tastevin at 8 pm. We arrived at L'Escapade at about 6:30 and were promptly seated. The restaurant is small with one whole wall open to the beach (actually set above the beach so all you can see are crashing waves) and is painted in rich red tones all rather nice and romantic. Since I was there just for the foie gras I informed our waitor of this and it wa no problem. I ordered the Trilogy of Foie Gras cooked 3 different ways and in 3 different flavours with several types of homemade toasted bread, my favourite was the seared foie gras with a light chocolate sauce. I must admit all 3 of the foie gras were a little strange in texture and tast to someone who had never had foie gras but I enjoyed it and thought it was very good. Was it the best foie gras in St. Martin outside of Toulouse, France? I don't know as I have nothing to compare it to but the experience was fun. The staff were nice but the wait was incredible even for the Caribbean...we did not leave until 8:30...2 hours for one appetizer is really pushing it , thankfully the gracious owner at Le Tastevin let us keep our reserved table with a great view even though we were 30 minutes late.

Note: Although there is no dress code I would advise dressing nice as most patrons were. Leave your bathing suits, bikinis, old shorts, T-shirts, and flip flops at the hotel and dress up a bit and you will fit in better at this nice establishment.

Visited June 2013

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Atlas1175

New York City, New York
“Nothing special”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Nothing special in terms of food or service. There are way better choices on the island. Won't be back

Visited July 2014
Princeton, Minnesota
“Great view and very good food”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We visited earlier in the evening so that we could still see ocean and the sun setting. None of the restaurants were busy. We ordered sea bass, scallops, red snapper, duck and creme brûlée. As one other reviewer commented - this is quite pricey in US dollars. But we have found that true at most of the places we have visited on the island. The server was very attentive, presentation of food done very well, food tasted very good and the view was spectacular.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank CinMinnesota
New York City, New York
“Returned after 7 years and it was just as good”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I LOVE this place. It is romantic and delightful. As if you are in Paris except with a phenomenal view of the Caribbean and seafood that was just caught that day. We had been in 2007 and I saved the card so that I would be sure to go there again. So, when we had a chance in 2014, we went back. To our delight, the food was just as spectacular. And the sunset view cannot be beat. I can't wait to go back again, but I hope it won't be seven years again.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank marabel100
denver, Colorado, USA
“Fantastic food with amazing view”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

When you are here, you are paying for the food and the view. This place overlooks the Caribbean. It's gorgeous. But as I told my husband while we were eating the best, yes, it bares repeating: the best risotto we have ever had (this includes Italy and our favorite risotto spot in Miami) places that have the view often bank on that and don't offer the exceptional food this restaurant had.

You are going to pay an average of 30 euro per plate, but then again this is not a cheap island, this is not McDonald's and the prices are posted upfront. So go in knowing what you are paying for.

Just do it. You won't be disappointed. Be prepared to tip in cash, customary on the island as well.

• Visited May 2014