“Inventive - perhaps a little too much?”
Review of L'Estaminet - CLOSED

L'Estaminet
Price range: US$40 - US$75
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: L'ESTAMINET...A French ,innovative cuisine ,combining spices of the word and amazing flavors...And frienddly atmosphere.....
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I enjoyed this place and the food was very inventive, but perhaps a little too much so. I don't think some of the flavours and combinations quite worked, but the desserts were out of this world! Worth a visit.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Another amazing meal at L'Estaminet this week. I brought some friends who were visiting from Canada and they thought the food was fantastic. Everything we had, from the Asparagus soup to the Caesar salad was fabulous. For the mains, we had the Mushroom Risotto with Foie Gras, Shrimp Fetticcine and the Filet with Truffles. Just perfect. The dessert, Chocolate Indulgence was delicious. Carole, Ina and their staff do a wonderful job. Excellent food and service. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 5 April 2014

This is a fine restaurant, the food is a great mix of French and local cuisine. It is one of the best restaurants on St Martin. Wine list is good. Service was slow, they said the sous chef cut her finger. You usually need a reservation, so call ahead.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

As an American, I read some of the previous reviews, some good and some bad, and thought I would give L'Estaminet a try.
We arrived at 6 pm with no reservations, but the hostess, Carole, and the host ( whose name I sadly did not get), were friendly and accommodating.
Yes, it took time to get our appetizers, but you have to understand that this is not America, and meals typically are much more relaxed in the French manner than in the American "sitting under a heat lamp and ready to go" manner. I ordered the onion soup (fabulous), and my partner ordered the lobster bisque. Let me tell you, the bisque was amazing! It had lobster tartare with it, and coconut as well. Being from New England, well, let's just say that's not a traditional bisque, but with the textural difference, it was SO MUCH BETTER!
For our main course, I had steamed fish , cooked to perfection, Ina citron herbal "tea", for lack of a better term, with cinnamon carrots, rice, an Asian spiced cabbage, and mushrooms In a garlic butter sauce. Very good. My partner had a pork and duck special, with a foie gras sauce, along with the same vegetables I had. Again, very good.
For dessert, I had an apricot cake with a mint sorbet, refreshing. My partner had a dessert I had never even conceived of before.....called "The Cigar". It was so different, she HAD to try it. Bear in mind, neither of us smoke, at all, ever. This dessert was made to look like a cigar in an ashtray. Unappetizing? Not at all. It was a chocolate cylinder filled with Mascarpone, in a edible lacy cone, surrounded by what looked like cigar ash. The dessert had a slight cigar flavor, but was actually more of a sweet cannoli type of dessert. Would be a "must have" for an cigar smoker, but was an exotic treat to us non-smokers as well.
We felt we were treated on par with any other customer, and we did not speak French. Service was slow and relaxed. The waiters and host and hostess did a great job of explaining things, serving, etc.
If only I could give 4-1/2 stars, I would. I would have to have a totally mind-blowing experience to allocate 5 stars, and that I will save for a PERFECT experience. These folks get 5 stars for creativity tho. Probably the best meal in 10 days at SXM.

1  Thank Vipermoray
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was recommended to us because of the party each Tuesday night in Grand Case. It took forever for us to get our food and we had to ask for more water. By the time we got our food and ate it, the street party was over. It was also expensive and my food, which was one of the specials that night, was warm at best and my husband's food was hot.

Would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.