“Mixed bag”

Ranked #16 of 68 Restaurants in Grand Case
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Sol restaurant invites you to a unique dining experience in an elegant, intimate and romantic place in the Caribbean. Within this Creole house tastefully decorated and surrounded by a tropical garden, you will discover a delicate and refined cuisine. Chefs offer you imaginative and innovative dishes in respect of the French culinary tradition together with a selection of preferred wines
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Location, atmosphere, service were outstanding. 2 entrees were great, 2 were average. Atmosphere was the best on the island.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Maybe I'm biased because we know the chef and his lovely wife, but this is the Best Restaurant on St Martin! My wife and I fine dine in Washington DC and around the world and I can truthfully report that our dinner was one of the best ever. The setting is romantic, the wine list comprehensive and the cuisine is prepared to perfection. This is a "must return" experience. Try the sea bass.....

1  Thank flowerchild75
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We were all in awe from the moment we entered this gorgeously decorated restaurant. Attention to detail was evident throughout every corner. The service and food was excellent starting with their signature drink the Champagne mojito. We shared the sampler appetizer which was delicious and we all had the pan seared sea bass with fennel and tangerine. We passed on dessert because we were all too full, but the selection was lovely. However they offered us their home-made flavored rum regardless. Bill is paid in Euros and tipping is noted on the menu and bill that it is not included. Every website says that tipping is included on the French side at 15%.

1  Thank audreylebowitz
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Would have given 5 stars, but as two larger groups entered the restaurant, the service for my wife and I basically became non-existent for the latter part of our meal.
The decor in this place is pretty remarkable. If you are looking for a romantic and intimate setting, this is the place to go. The food was outstanding from a taste, appearance, and portion standpoint. We ordered the lobster bisque covered with an almond puff pastry for an appetizer. For the main course, I ordered the "fish of the day" which was mahi mahi. My wife ordered some sort of seafood shell pasta, which we both agreed that we would get again if we were ever to go back. It consisted of shrimp, mussels, calamari, octopus, scallops, etc. The mojito special was the highlight of the meal. Our waiter said that he used champagne to replace the club soda, which made a huge difference. So good that I had to order two. I think this place is definitely worth checking out, but be warned, it is rather expensive when converted to US dollars.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We have been dining at restaurants in st martin for over thirty years. We have enjoyed wonderful meals and have enjoyed the company of so many of the owners and chefs.

Las t night was our second visit to Sol yLuna. I do beleive it is the most romantic restaurant on the island. The food is excelent. I rank it with Mario's and to Provençal and Le Cottage.

That said last night was a huge disappointment....not because of terry becuase he was not our waiter, not because of the gracious hostess co owner Bridget or the wonderful food prepared by the owner chef.

The service of the brunette waitress was not in line with the the high caliber of the restaurant. We were seated and then asked for our order. Usually one asks for a drink order which I reminded her. We orderd a a drink. She returned 10 minutes later and ask if we were ready to order..no drinks were served no water presnted . I politely asked her that we did not receive our drink order. Exasperated she marched to the bar and brought us our drinks.

15 minutes later she returned......I asked her if there were any specials tonight...no was the replay...then I asked her what is the fish of the day....again I am asking her the questions rather than her sharing the information with me.

Okay we ordered from the menu....five minute later..terry the other waiter is servicing a nearby table and tells them about the specials, the fish of the day, the special cocktail etc..that did it ..I called the waitress back and gave her a piece of my mind and made a new order. Her condescending and disrespectful attitude was appalling especially when one is about to enjoy a three course meal that would set us bak about $275.00

nearby there were three other tables who experienced similar treatment...as a matter of fact two of the diners who heard my displeasure stopped by the table to thank me for letting the waitress know how displeased I was because they recieved the same type of treatment.

I respectfully request that if the mangement would like diners to return and we do return to st maarten several time per year".......they need to address this poor service.

Bridgett.......please for your own sake and your husband's excellent cooking...do something about this woman....We wil not return...Mario's, Lecottage, Bacchus, Ti Provençal ,Estaminet and LePressoir will be my restaurants of choice..
Quality restaurants are restaurants that include excellent service along with excellent food. You provide excellent food wonderful setting and a woman server who would be better off serving food at MacDonald's!

Disappointed