“Fantastic Hotel”

Grand Case Beach Club
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Reviewed 9 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at GCBC for 10 nights and we couldn't be happier. We had a one bedroom suite room and it was more than we had hoped for. The full kitchen was perfect for the nights that we wanted to cook in, the bed was incredibly comfortable, the family room was large and welcoming and the ocean front view could not be beat. Upon arrival we were given a bottle of wine and a bell man was called to take our bags to the room. Every day the housekeeping crew would wash any dished we had, mopped the floor, made the bed and replaced the bathroom towels. I can't imagine a more enjoyable place to stay on the island. We were a 3 minute walk to "Restaurant Row" and a close drive to everywhere else. We rented a car for a few days from the airport on the French side of the island and it was only a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Very convenient. The only complaint I have would be Sandra the bartender. She was extremely rude to us.

Room Tip: Spring for an ocean front room. Gorgeous views every night!
2  Thank jtat99

Reviewed 9 August 2011

We just returned from GCBC with our two teenage daughters. I really enjoyed the resort. If you are looking for a 5 star, this is not the place. However, considering the beautiful tropical setting, it is the perfect for this atmosphere. We were fortunate to have an oceanfront 2 bedroom townhouse. Room 708 is in the best location. We could walk right out our door to the beach and restaurant. We had 2 beautiful terraces, 3 TVS, 2 bathrooms, and great living, kitchen area. It was cleaned very well each day. The customer service was impeccable. From the lobby to the Sunset Cafe, we were treated like family. Everyone went out of their way to make us comfortable. Even though the resort was full, you never knew it at all. Our beach was so private . The water was incredible. One big disappointment was the cancellation of the Scoobi boat trips to Anguilla and the snorkeling to Creole Rock. Not their fault, but the conditions of the water was too rough to go out that far. The Sunset Cafe was delicious!! Beautiful views ! Another great idea the resort provides is a security guard on the road leading from the restaurants to the hotel. I felt very safe walking back. The restaurants in town are unbelievably delicious! We tried Spiga,La Villa, Calmos Cafe and Spicy. Incredible service and some of the best dinners I have ever had, particularly at Spiga and La Villa. If I went again, I might consider renting a car for part of the time so you can get to the grocery store or other parts of the island. Taxiis are fine, but expensive. However, it is such a relaxing paradise at GCBC that you don't have to venture out too far. Hopefully I will get to return someday. I really liked the French side of St. Martin.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Ct03traveller
Reviewed 30 July 2011

My husband and I have stayed at Grand Case Beach Club during two of our three trips to St. Martin and we absolutely love it! During our last visit, we attempted to stay at the Dove’s Nest, just up the road from GCBC, and could only survive one night there. The savings of a few hundred dollars to stay at the Dove’s Nest was not worth it. We felt so relieved when GCBC had availability for us at a reasonable rate. We love staying in Grand Case due to the quiet location, fabulous restaurants, and availability of activities. Petite Plage Beach, one of the two beaches on the property, is perfect for us. The hotel provides complimentary chairs and umbrellas for guests, the water is gorgeous, and views of Creole Rock and Anguilla are spectacular. The beach is fairly small, quiet, and not overly crowded. Ole (or Au Lait), is the white dog that you will see around the property. She is a friendly dog who keeps watch over everything. GCBC has an activities desk on the property where you can rent snorkel gear, kayaks, and beach floats for free. You can also book excursions through the activities desk, which is so convenient. We highly recommend taking a day trip on the Scoobi Too to one of the nearby islands. We loved the trip to Tintamarre and Anguilla in particular, but also took a trip to Prickly Pear. Next time, we will take the trip which stops at three different locations in Anguilla. During our first two trips, we went snorkeling at Creole Rock, which we would also recommend. My husband went Scuba Diving with Octopus Diving, just down the road from GCBC, and loved his experience there. He even got his PADI certification during our stay. We also enjoyed having the Sunset Café restaurant right on the beach. We ate breakfast and lunch there almost every day. The staff at Sunset Café is wonderful – Chantal, Sabrina, and Phillipe were so friendly and welcoming. We preferred to eat in the town of Grand Case for dinner each night. Our favorite restaurants are Le Cottage, Bistrot Caraibes, Le Pressoir, and Spiga. It’s easy to walk to any of the restaurants from the hotel. Sol e Luna is another fabulous restaurant in a quiet setting amongst the trees. You will have to ask the front desk for directions as it can be a bit tricky to find, but it is very close to Grand Case and well worth a trip. All of the restaurants are very expensive, but the food is outstanding and one of our favorite things about vacationing in St. Martin. Be sure to rent a car as you will want the freedom to explore the island on your own. My husband and I also enjoyed spending the day at Friar’s Bay, just before Marigot. Friar’s Bay has two restaurants on the beach that also provide chairs and umbrellas. From Friar’s Bay, you can take an easy 10 minute hike to Happy Bay. Happy Bay is a deserted beach with natural shade from palm trees that you can only get to by foot or boat. There is nothing there, but it was an enjoyable way to spend part of our day. My husband and I would highly recommend GCBC to anyone. We will never try to stay anywhere else on the island. We have explored the island quite a bit and GCBC is the perfect fit for us.

5  Thank JKVirginia
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I will agree with the previous review on one comment - this does not feel like a resort and that's why you would stay here. It's small, quiet, and even though the hotel was pretty booked, it felt like you had the place to yourself. There is no hassling over beach chairs and umbrellas, no loud crowds on the beach, and if you need something from housekeeping or the office, you get it immediately. The grounds of this hotel are breathtaking - there are little areas all over the property where you can sit and look at the bay and the mountains and Creole Rock and Anguilla. We had a room with a king size bed, living area, fully stocked kitchen area, and small dining area downstairs. To the delight of our 16 year old daughter, we also had a king size bed upstairs in a loft. This is not a luxury hotel - you will not find a supply of designer body washes, shampoo, and body creams - bring your own. Also, if you don't want to eat breakfast at the Sunset Cafe, you can call them and place your order. They will call you when it's ready to be picked up. There is not a room on the property that is more than 60 seconds from the Cafe so it's not a problem. I usually do prefer luxury hotels, but I would pass over any luxury hotel on St. Martin to stay here again. Just go to relax, do a little sightseeing and eat fabulous food in Grand Case. Watching the sunset every evening and then strolling to Grand Case for a fantastic meal served up by friendly people that make you feel at home is a lovely way to end a day.

The front office staff, Sunset Cafe staff, housekeeping, and security are all polite, friendly, and helpful. A special shout out to Sabrina at Sunset Cafe who seemed to always be working and very happy to be doing it - a smile on her face at all times and willing to answer any questions you have about the island. All of the staff at Sunset Cafe were great, but unfortunately, I can't remember any other names - sorry guys, relax mode and complimentary home-made island rum everywhere I went melted my brain.

As others have mentioned, we never felt unsafe walking into Grand Case at night. But in case you're hesitant, there was always a security guard walking the block of the hotel which is the only dark block you'll encounter during this walk. There is a supermarket that is a 5 minute drive from GCBC where you can get anything you may want to stock in your kitchen. Orient Beach is about a 10 minute drive and Paradise View where you can have lunch overlooking the beauty of Orient Beach is also very close. We accidentally discovered the Butterfly Farm when we were taking a ride to see what was close by and were thrilled that we went. It's a must do if you're in the area - friendly, informative staff.

Easy to drive to the Dutch side - just keep following the signs - you eventually figure it out. Drove to Simpson Bay on a Sunday when many things on the French side are closed. Everything there is open and there weren't any traffic hassles. Phillipsburg is also a nice day trip for inexpensive shopping. All in all, a great island and would recommend St. Martin and GCBC to everyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Nova99
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I am convinced that I am unable to give a completely fair review of GCBC, because prior to arriving we stayed at phenomenal hotels in Anguilla & St. Barths. Arriving at GCBC was a letdown compared to what we were accustomed to, and I can't decide whether or not I would have felt the same way if it were the only hotel I stayed at.

The hotel is nice, the room is nice, the kitchenette is serviceable. The view is pretty cool, but the beach itself is so-so. The location is decent, in that you can walk through Grand Case from the hotel, but Grand Case doesn't have much except for restaurants - although they are very nice! Our favorite place in St. Martin, Orient Beach, isn't a far drive from the hotel either.

The hotel does have its share of amenities - including a pool. The watersports desk will book a number of trips for you, including a day trip around Anguilla. Having stayed there for a week, I'd highly recommend taking some sort of trip there if you aren't otherwise heading to that island. You can also rent a car at the watersports desk... when the rental agent feels like actually showing up, which for us was an hour after they told us they opened.

I think the real distinction here is that a lot of places in the islands feel like resorts, whereas the Grand Case Beach Club feels like it is a standard hotel. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this, but it's just that there are far better places you can stay in the Caribbean. The question is... is there anything better in SXM? Having only stayed here, I have no idea. Simply put, nothing at GCBC really stands out as amazing, but it's definitely not a bad place. If I end up in St. Martin again, I'll look for other hotels first, possibly near Orient Beach, but that said I will keep GCBC in mind as a fallback.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank puablo
gcbcmgr, Manager at Grand Case Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Ouch….

I haven't felt this jilted since years ago being told by a by a pretty girl that I was “nice”! Nice doesn’t get you to 1st base,... nor does “Simply Average”.
Be assured that we hear you, and have been, and will continue to take very seriously our program of continuous improvements. Being simply average is well below our intentions and abilities. I hope that your travels will bring you back at some point so you can see the many changes and enhancements that we are always implementing. I do take some consolation in reading the vast majority of our reviews, and the passion that is evoked in so many. But we will always be doing our best to rise above what we are today and be better tomorrow…but it still stings to be described as average or nice. We thank you for your review, and it is the source of much discussion here!

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Very affordable choice in the off-season. Personalized service throughout our entire stay. We booked a 1 bedroom Garden View, as this was the last room available at the time. When we arrived and saw the accomodations we were absolutely blown away. It was a 2 floor duplex with three balcony's, two of which had beautiful views of Grand Case Bay. Being in Grand Case turned out to be a great choice as we spent many of our nights just walking through town and perusing the shops. Wound up eating at the Lolo's for more than a few meals, after a full day of sunning and funning...Would recommend this place to even the most discerning of travelers.

2  Thank fisureman
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Our stay here was very relaxing and quiet. It has the most amazing beach (actually there are two). One of the beaches was very calm which allowed our seven year old to learn to snorkel w/o being intimidated by a lot of wave action. They also had kayaks you could take out. My daughter really liked this! They also have a sports desk that will arrange tours for you. The pool is small but our 7 yr. old did not mind. Actually we did not use it that much b/c the beach is too beautiful to miss! It is just a short drive into town or you can even walk. we ate at the Blue Martini, which was good; we also tried the local lolo (Sky's the limit) and it was very good too; we ate twice at Grand Case's restaurantt (Sunset Cafe) which was excellent. They make a good BBC!! The staff there was friendly to us and helpful. There is not much in the way of shopping in Grand Case. We did most of our shopping in Phillipsburg. We rented a car at airport so we could explore the island. Felt safe; no problems. We drove over to Orient Beach and stayed all day one of the days. The rooms are nice. We stayed in 812. you can buy groceries and cook in your room if you would like. We did not use the kitchen; we ate out all the time. Our kitchen had supplies that you could use to cook with and looked fairly new; it had granite counter tops; a full size refrigerator. Very nice! Only problem we had was trying to get the pull out couch to work. Security guard was nice enough to come over and help! We liked the King size bed. Daughter and niece said the pull out wasn't all that comfy though. Took a ferry over to Anguilla one day as well from Marigot. Rented a car from ferry service. Went to Shoal Bay. Loved the beach there; highly recommend doing this. This was our first trip to St. Martin. We would not hesitate to stay at GCBC again the next time we go. Having traveled several different islands in the Caribbean; St. Martin is our favorite thus far!! People we encountered were very friendly and the staff at GCBC were nice too!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Grand Case Beach Club? Share your experiences!