“Not an ordinary Caribbean Island Hotel”

Grand Case Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Not an ordinary Caribbean Island Hotel”
Reviewed 12 August 2011

My daughter and I had 4 nights at Grand Case Beach Club. Due to the Hurricane, Emily, our beach hours were cut in half. It was our first visit to St. Maarten. The hotel is situated at the end of route de Petite Plage. I was imagining long stretched beaches with palm trees like we have seen in Mexico or the Dominican Republic. But the beach at the hotel is very small and no palm trees but very clean. I couldn’t enjoy the beach walk at this time, but I was pleased because I didn’t find any washed-off seaweed or garbage. The colour of the sand is pale brown and it is soft in touch. There were plenty of comfortable beach lounge chairs available. The room is large and has a little kitchen. I liked their bed. It was very comfortable. The room was kept clean each day and supplied enough towels. The room decoration has no Caribbean atmosphere that I enjoyed especially when I was in Dominican Republic and Mexico. But there were no cockroaches that we have seen commonly in Caribbean islands and Mexico. They use a three-prong socket. Therefore, one more thing we need for our next visit is an electric socket converter. The pool is very small so we didn’t go there.
Most of the guests of the hotel had cars so that they could go to grocery stores, down town, Margot, Dutch side, or the other beaches. I was told to visit the Oriental Beach, which is located in the Atlantic Ocean side and is the best beach in St. Maaten. It was a short trip and I didn’t think about renting a car. We will do for our next visit. When we took a taxi to go to the big supermarket, we paid $10 round trip, although it was a five-minute ride. There are no highways and driving is the same side as US. It seems easy to venture out by car. Although the hotel has a hint of boutique-hotel, they organized “Buy-one drink-get-one-free” night on Tuesday and manager’s evening on Thursday while we were there, so that we were able to meet several interesting and international people. The staff was very kind and made us feel at home. Many restaurants are in only a five-minute walking distance and they are all great. We tried “Spigo”, Italian, “L’Auberge Gourmande”, French, and “Bistrot Caraibes”, French restaurants. They are all great and the service is impeccable. Some of the restaurants use the conversion of $1 = 1 Euro, although the hotel uses $1.20 = 1Euro. US dollars are accepted everywhere. We had a dinner one night at the restaurant called “Sunset Café”. This is the place you can enjoy the sea breeze any time of the day and it feels as if you were in Heaven. I think this restaurant is one of the good restaurants to sample French food, like their mussel dish if you like it. We missed the chance to enjoy Caribbean lobster, due to the delivery delay here. It offers 20% discount occasionally for dining and it is worth eating there at least once, in spite of the numerous great restaurants outside
Each Caribbean island has its own special flare and we like this French island, too.

7 Thank Keiko S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Well, we were on our honeymoon and had 2 double beds...they had nothing else available, but we made the most of it.
The room was ok...a bit small, but we were really only there to sleep. The bathroom was quite nice, and the A/C worked great!
My favorite part was the private beach--lots of shade available under these wonderful trees that formed a canopy overhead, which was a must for my fair skin. We lounged out there almost every day, bringing a picnic lunch of delicious baguettes, meat and cheese from the little store down the road.
The little restaurant (Sunset Grill) was great for breakfast and room service--no complaints there.
We also liked the fact that we didn't have to drive to get into "town". It was only about a 5 minute walk into Grand Case for dinner, drinks and shopping.
So, it's nothing fancy, but at times you feel like you have the whole place to yourself. It's clean, secluded and convenient.

Room Tip: If you book through a travel site, make sure you call the hotel to confirm your room/beds/etc.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spf1OO
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed 11 August 2011

My 24 year old daughter and I spent a week at the Grand Case Beach Club for my 50th birthday celebration. The location, the price, the staff, the other guests and our room was perfect! It is a comfortable place on an island that can often be either too shabby or too snobby chic. It is just right! We absolutely loved the Sunset Restaurant. The staff goes out of their way to get to know the guests staying at the adjoining hotel. Sandra, Phillipe, Carlos, Lolo, Sabrina and the other employees were fun and memorable. Sandra makes a mean T-Punch and hopefully they have replaced the rum we drank so that others can enjoy the experience. We will be back!

4 Thank marignyjane
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2011

My family and i just returned after a week long stay. We loved the Grand Case. Location, service and rooms were all excellent. Staff went above and beyond. We will definitely return!

1 Thank Chabr
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at GCBC for 10 nights and we couldn't be happier. We had a one bedroom suite room and it was more than we had hoped for. The full kitchen was perfect for the nights that we wanted to cook in, the bed was incredibly comfortable, the family room was large and welcoming and the ocean front view could not be beat. Upon arrival we were given a bottle of wine and a bell man was called to take our bags to the room. Every day the housekeeping crew would wash any dished we had, mopped the floor, made the bed and replaced the bathroom towels. I can't imagine a more enjoyable place to stay on the island. We were a 3 minute walk to "Restaurant Row" and a close drive to everywhere else. We rented a car for a few days from the airport on the French side of the island and it was only a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Very convenient. The only complaint I have would be Sandra the bartender. She was extremely rude to us.

Room Tip: Spring for an ocean front room. Gorgeous views every night!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jtat99
Connecticut
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We just returned from GCBC with our two teenage daughters. I really enjoyed the resort. If you are looking for a 5 star, this is not the place. However, considering the beautiful tropical setting, it is the perfect for this atmosphere. We were fortunate to have an oceanfront 2 bedroom townhouse. Room 708 is in the best location. We could walk right out our door to the beach and restaurant. We had 2 beautiful terraces, 3 TVS, 2 bathrooms, and great living, kitchen area. It was cleaned very well each day. The customer service was impeccable. From the lobby to the Sunset Cafe, we were treated like family. Everyone went out of their way to make us comfortable. Even though the resort was full, you never knew it at all. Our beach was so private . The water was incredible. One big disappointment was the cancellation of the Scoobi boat trips to Anguilla and the snorkeling to Creole Rock. Not their fault, but the conditions of the water was too rough to go out that far. The Sunset Cafe was delicious!! Beautiful views ! Another great idea the resort provides is a security guard on the road leading from the restaurants to the hotel. I felt very safe walking back. The restaurants in town are unbelievably delicious! We tried Spiga,La Villa, Calmos Cafe and Spicy. Incredible service and some of the best dinners I have ever had, particularly at Spiga and La Villa. If I went again, I might consider renting a car for part of the time so you can get to the grocery store or other parts of the island. Taxiis are fine, but expensive. However, it is such a relaxing paradise at GCBC that you don't have to venture out too far. Hopefully I will get to return someday. I really liked the French side of St. Martin.

3 Thank Ct03traveller
Northern Virginia
Reviewed 30 July 2011

My husband and I have stayed at Grand Case Beach Club during two of our three trips to St. Martin and we absolutely love it! During our last visit, we attempted to stay at the Dove’s Nest, just up the road from GCBC, and could only survive one night there. The savings of a few hundred dollars to stay at the Dove’s Nest was not worth it. We felt so relieved when GCBC had availability for us at a reasonable rate. We love staying in Grand Case due to the quiet location, fabulous restaurants, and availability of activities. Petite Plage Beach, one of the two beaches on the property, is perfect for us. The hotel provides complimentary chairs and umbrellas for guests, the water is gorgeous, and views of Creole Rock and Anguilla are spectacular. The beach is fairly small, quiet, and not overly crowded. Ole (or Au Lait), is the white dog that you will see around the property. She is a friendly dog who keeps watch over everything. GCBC has an activities desk on the property where you can rent snorkel gear, kayaks, and beach floats for free. You can also book excursions through the activities desk, which is so convenient. We highly recommend taking a day trip on the Scoobi Too to one of the nearby islands. We loved the trip to Tintamarre and Anguilla in particular, but also took a trip to Prickly Pear. Next time, we will take the trip which stops at three different locations in Anguilla. During our first two trips, we went snorkeling at Creole Rock, which we would also recommend. My husband went Scuba Diving with Octopus Diving, just down the road from GCBC, and loved his experience there. He even got his PADI certification during our stay. We also enjoyed having the Sunset Café restaurant right on the beach. We ate breakfast and lunch there almost every day. The staff at Sunset Café is wonderful – Chantal, Sabrina, and Phillipe were so friendly and welcoming. We preferred to eat in the town of Grand Case for dinner each night. Our favorite restaurants are Le Cottage, Bistrot Caraibes, Le Pressoir, and Spiga. It’s easy to walk to any of the restaurants from the hotel. Sol e Luna is another fabulous restaurant in a quiet setting amongst the trees. You will have to ask the front desk for directions as it can be a bit tricky to find, but it is very close to Grand Case and well worth a trip. All of the restaurants are very expensive, but the food is outstanding and one of our favorite things about vacationing in St. Martin. Be sure to rent a car as you will want the freedom to explore the island on your own. My husband and I also enjoyed spending the day at Friar’s Bay, just before Marigot. Friar’s Bay has two restaurants on the beach that also provide chairs and umbrellas. From Friar’s Bay, you can take an easy 10 minute hike to Happy Bay. Happy Bay is a deserted beach with natural shade from palm trees that you can only get to by foot or boat. There is nothing there, but it was an enjoyable way to spend part of our day. My husband and I would highly recommend GCBC to anyone. We will never try to stay anywhere else on the island. We have explored the island quite a bit and GCBC is the perfect fit for us.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to Grand Case Beach Club? Share your experiences!