“Why go any where else?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Case Beach Club

Grand Case Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
NC
“Why go any where else?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at GCBC several days following a cruise, and this was as pretty a place as we saw any where on the cruise. The two beaches are beautiful and pristine, and the grounds around the resort are fabulous with different nooks for relaxing around the water's edge, both shaded and private. The Sunset Cafe is right on the water so you can eat all three delicious meals with a fabulous view and beautiful sunsets without leaving the grounds. The Grand Case restaurants are just a short walk away and the lobby has the nicest menu guide I have ever seen-complete with photos of the restaurants. The service throughout the resort was exceptional-they even mailed a sweater to me that I had left. Their special touches such as flowers adorning your bath towels and even the artistically folded paper towels are testament to their striving to delight and please their guests.

2 Thank JagusNc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Polish first
Hickory, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Spent a week here and never felt so at home anywhere else in the world. Energetic & accomodating staff, waterside accomodations, quiet surroundings, and perfect view of town. Soft sand beach, comfortable beach lounges, free non-powered water actiities, snorkeling right off the beach--SO DELIGHTFUL. Staying where we had our own kitchen and utensils gave us yet another choice about dining. Made it easy to enjoy a little quiet time on our private patio, and stroll to town or the excellent on-site restaurant--the Sunset Cafe. One of the few places in the world we will return to.

Room Tip: If you e-mail the staff before arrival, special requests or reservations for dinner nearby can be ha...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sensitivity
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

WOW! Me and my family just returned from GCBC and we are impressed!!! Our room had a great view of the crystal clear ocean! The food at Sunset cafe is amazing! We wanted to get away from all of the hustle and bustle of Philipsburg and that is just what GCBC offered, it is located on two beaches (Only one is a true functional beach), and the two beaches are connected by a boardwalk right on the ocean, and the rocks. Make sure that you do the snorkeling trip to Creole Rock the hotel offers, we saw dolphins, and sea turtles! You can also just go snorkeling right of of the rocks at the point, (watch out for sea urchin) The hotel offers complimentary paddle boards, snorkel gear, sail boats, sea kayaks, sand toys, and paddle boats, so you never run out of anything to do. Make sure to bring alot of cash to St. Martin because most restaurants offer 1 euro to 1 dollar exchange rate if you pay in cash. Also the ferries to other islands from Marigot only except cash. One of the big highlights of the trip was Lottery Farm, which is located 10 minutes away. We had loads of fun on their fly zone course, which has zip lines, suspend bridges, and more! Dont worry if you are afraid of hights, or get altitude sickness. You are always attached to safeties, and every once and a while their is an exit ladder you can use to get off if you are not enjoying the adventure. Also make sure to make a stop at the butterfly farm which is 15 mins away by Orient Bay. Super cool place, almost every kind of moth and butterfly around.

Room Tip: choose a two story ocean view
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank dtoneill
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

The week was in late November at St Martin (French north half of the island) was really wonderful! Simple, warm, very friendly, and great food.
In the beginning I was recovering from a bad cold, but we could laze about the warm beach, swimming before the sun came over the mountain. Reading and napping the first few days, was good for me, and there was lots of shade in front of the 2 bedroom suite from the Caribbean grape trees (not wine grapes.) Our temps were about 80 – 90 F; they report temps in Centigrade since it is a French country.

A. booked us at the Grand Case Beach Club- look on line, as beautiful as the pictures. We stayed in the two story bldg. toward the far end, quiet and much preferred. Private beach, warm soft weather. The rooms had dehumidifiers and a good AC system if you needed a cool sleep.
Nature was challenging at first. There was a deluge the first afternoon night, and I drove through long road puddles with lots of trepidation. The second night we had a 4.7 earthquake off shore at 1 am- no damage, no excitement from others- happens every so often they say.

We shopped at Grand Case as we walked about town looking at restaurants, and enjoyed a day trip to Marigot (French little port) sweet people speaking French mostly with some island English- and tropically colorful. I had been growing my hair out, and it was way too thick for beach days- so, I had my hair cut by a woman who did not speak English (to a magazine picture) Happily, she did a good job.

Tuesday night was A.’s birthday- Dinner at L’Auberge Gourmand. Then about midnight a moonlight skinny dip. Believe me, no one was awake then, and the sound of the ocean blocked all our laughter.

Oh my... the French food was spectacular! At L’A.G. she had tuna and loved it. I had the duck with a beautiful sauce- onion wine sauce with hints of pineapple and garlic- very mild sweet sauce. The vegetables were little rounds of various things- one was topped with a cold, whipped Shallotte cream- so interesting. Bistro Carribe had a beautifully cooked Sea bass in a beurre blanc sauce. And even at lunch one day I had wonderful garlic shrimp at Sky’s the Limit with a coleslaw that had some light coconut milk and red pepper flakes.

I (maybe) sampled too many Caribbean drinks- rums flavored with tropical fruit- but swam every morning and late afternoons, so obviously the drinks were not too much for me.

We went to the Orient Beach for the experience. We sat in bathing suits, while the nudes, topless women, and gay men embellished with rings and studs walked by. Most visitors to the beach were older, some probably retired, as they showed many years of sun exposure. Clothing vendors and beer clubs by the beach gave every comfort and cover-up as well.

Thursday we snorkeled at the big rock nearby; the display was nothing as colorful as Belize, but watching fish was restful and beautiful. The guide showed us animals we would not have noticed because they camouflage so well. Saw parrot fish, sheeps heads, flounder, pipefish, spiny urchins, spiky thin starfish, and lots of little colorful darting fish I could not identify.
That evening at the hotel they had a hospitality hour for the guests- mostly returning couples. As the seemingly only singles, we met 3 helicopter pilots (younger married guys) who fly for the richest man in the world. They told some interesting facts about him and their lives, and we had lots of questions.

Friday I drove into Phillipsburg to see the city in the Dutch south half where the cruise ships go. Andrea was ready to rest that day. Alone and a bit lost, I got into the famously terrible traffic. I regretted the jaunt from the peaceful Grand Case Beach.
My last night, the beach Club restaurant bar beckoned. It was so easy to walk to the other end of the gated hotel, and get a beautiful view and safe walk home. Laughed and exchanged travel stories with two often returning couples and the bartender contributed too. Seems the place is a favorite once discovered.
The last day there, as usual, I swam a while in the shade of the mountain, packed up and we drove back to the south end of the island. Lunch was a beautiful tuna steak sandwich we split at the Sunset Bar. Famous because the planes fly so close you can feel them and they blow beach sand. A big wow, and gets you ready to fly home.

Room Tip: The far end has less walk by traffic, but it was quiet place anyway. Also you can rent a car at the...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank PaprikaT
Bartlett, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I just spent a week at GCBC and enjoyed it thoroughly. Being on the French side was just what we needed to get away from the mania that is Philipsburg. We had a wonderful beachfront view and a room that was well-appointed and nicely decorated. We loved all the private spots for sunning and relaxing. The beachside restaurant has a great, friendly staff and wonderful daily specials. There are many great restaurants that are an easy 10-minute walk from the property. If you're looking for lots of planned activities, beachside entertainment, and raucous beach behavior, then this spot is not for you. However, if you're looking for a relaxing getaway with a helpful staff, comfortable rooms, and a feeling of community, this is a spot you should explore.

Room Tip: Ask for a beachside room. The first floor rooms are more convenient to the lounges, but the view wo...
2 Thank Sue E
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I stayed here for one day prior to a cruise that sailed from Phillipsburg. It was perfect! Grand Case is the culinary capital of the Caribbean, and is on the French side of St. Maarten. It is about a 20 minute taxi from Princess Julianna airport. The property is gated for added security, but I never felt like there were any security threats at all. I stayed in a beachfront room (the Oleander building) where I understand the rooms were recently renovated. These rooms have a full kitchen and living room plus a long balcony. It exceeded my expectations for accommodations and cleanliness even after extensive research. Other people on the property were not as happy with their accommodations in the non-beach front buildings due to their being outdated albeit very clean. The property is undoubtedly the best and only place I would stay in Grand Case if you want beach access. There are water sports available including short snorkeling trips. The landscaping was beautiful and the pictures of the property on the website do not do it justice (I am adding my photos here). There is a central piece of the property that is built up on a large rock formation overlooking the bay. They have very nice boardwalk all around the outer edges with several private spots with lounge chairs for sunning. There is also a grassy area shaded by palms with hammocks. The grounds were impeccable, and offered perfect ambiance for a romantic stay. The free continental breakfast is open air dining in the restaurant and was a lovely French array of breads and pastries plus coffee and juice. We were able to easily walk from the resort through the entire main street area with charming and good quality shops, boutiques and galleries and never felt even a hint of insecurity. We spoke to other guests about the restaurants and you really can't go wrong. We only had one night and chose La Ti Provencial (see my review). Overall, I would definitely return here for up to maybe three days. I don't think the area offers enough to keep me going for a week unless this was your base and you traveled to Marigot and Oyster Bay for day trips. However, if you want a week to do nothing but rest, read and eat I would definitely stay here. Not a family destination.

Room Tip: Definitely book the beachfront rooms that are in the two-story buildings. First floor rooms have a...
1 Thank winstonteaka
Morriston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Just spent 10 days at GCBC, loved the atmosphere feels more like a European resort. People are friendly & restaurants in the village are fanastic. Had a beachfront view, the room had frig, stove, microwave & coffee maker, so pick-up some supplies & have options. Nothing like relaxing with a coffee & looking out at a view of all the boats docked & the morning starting & deciding how you want to spend your day in paradise!

5 Thank Envers2
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,175 reviews
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino

Been to Grand Case Beach Club? Share your experiences!