“great place”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
st. louis
“great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2008

Such a lovely place to stay. This was our second visit and i hope not our last!
The staff is helpful and kind, the view and grounds are beautiful. It is our favorite beach vacation!! We brought our 4 year old daughter and she loved the beach.

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank javatam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Polish first
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2008

My significant other and I just returned from an extraordinary week from Grand Case Beach Club. We stay the week of 8/26-9/2 and the resort was surely the best. We are a couple from NYC and is very much used to the Hiltons, Sheratons and the Ritz Carlton-like hotels. Although they provide great customer service, one never feels like home, part of a community. Grand Case Beach Club offers this missing link. Upon arrival, the resort was a bit hard to find but once inside their secure gated community, we were in our little paradise. After parking our car we met a friendly reservations staff (Amy) which handed our room keys with two beach towels and a botle of wine. The room is well equipped with kitchen, tvs, a full bathroom, anything you would expect from a 4 star hotel. Everything was in great shape.

The Hotel's surroundings are very intimate. Sunset cafe is the hotel's restaurant which we ate at every morning during the complimentary breakfast time. We look foward to having breakfast every morning for it's a great chance to meet with other guests to see what they got planned for the day or anything recommendations from previous days.

The hotel's activity center is mainly operated by Sebastion and Hamilton who are the most humble and helpful people ever. They provided us with free paddleboats and kayaks to play around with in their nearby beaches. They also have several other water gears.

Dinner time at the cafe has a great view of the sunset and dining by the sea is wonderful!

Renting a car is highly recommended and we travelled during low season where the Grand Case restaurants all catered to us. Luckily we left when most of our favorite restaurants went on vacation. Overall it was a wonderful trip! We loved it! : )

• Liked — The Intimate Environment, The Owners Are Wonderful (I told them I'd write a review!)
4 Thank Alwaysonvacation3
Arlington Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

My wife and I went last year for our honeymoon and could not have had a better experience. I knew we chose our accomodations wisely from the moment we walked in to our beachfront studio and were greeted by the cool tunes of the French cafe cd the staff had set up before our arrival.
The entire experience was magical...almost too perfect.
We would not think of staying anywhere else.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JimFlores
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2008

I just came back from a 6-day stay at the Grand Case Beach Club; I wish that I could have stayed there a lot longer. If you do not like peace and quiet, you should stay somewhere else. The hotel is a little difficult to find, you have to look real closely to see the signs that lead you there. Once you get there, it is worth the wait. The staff was welcoming and we immediately felt safe on the property (lots of security around). My luggage did not arrive and staff helped me continuously with trying to contact the airlines while listening to my complaints about lack of clothes. The grounds are immaculate. There are workers constantly cleaning of all areas and doing landscaping. Children could be seen throughout the property walking without shoes.

My husband, 3 children (15, 14, and 10), and my parents stayed here. The rooms looked just like they do on the web. We did not have any problems with the 2-bedroom nor the 1-bedroom oceanfront rooms. It could not have been more comfortable. The rooms were cleaned early every day. Previous reviewers mentioned the horrible smell. We stayed in that part of the hotel. Because of the previous reviews, I was a little scared. Sometimes the smell was strong but most of the time, you would smell something and then there were those wonderful breezes taking it away. We were told that the smell was a byproduct of the desalination that was being done on the property. It was not that bad.

My biggest fear was that my kids would be bored and then make us all crazy. That did not happen. The 2 beaches were small but the water was perfectly clear and the bright sunshine could not be beat. They were able to snorkel and swim in water so calm that it was like a pool. There is a large variety of fish to see. Sabestian from water sports kept them busy with all the non-motorized water sports that they could handle. The pool was rather small but it did not matter. It was large enough for the many kids staying there to join in a game of Marco-Polo.

The restaurant on site was picture perfect. It was right on the water. Continental breakfast was included and you could purchase other item if you choose. We had to do this because eating baguettes and pastry everyday was a bit much. We ate dinner there on the first night because we were too tired explore the other restaurants in the area. We all thought that it was too pricey. We knew that we would not eat dinner there again. They did however make an accommodation of letting the kids select from the lunch menu. It did not make sense for us to have to pay $20 (plus) for food that they would not eat (no French fries on dinner menu). After that, we were able to find other places to eat that would not break the bank. In addition, the grocery store was pretty close so junk food was not far away.

Overall, I highly recommend the Grand Case Beach Club for the perfect vacation. It was quiet, relaxing, and inviting. My family and I are already checking schedules and planning to go back there next year. It can’t be soon enough!!

• Liked — beautiful beach
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank nestle1229
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2008

I have been coming to GCBC for many years and finally decided to weigh in with a review of the place as we just returned from a stay.

This is one of our favorite places to vacation anywhere in the world and continues to be a place we want to return to. We usually stay at much fancier places in other locations, but actually love the simplicity and beauty that GCBC offers. It is well maintained, clean, and the staff are usually very friendly though at times somewhat brusque. There is none of the attitude that can be found at more expensive places. We usually get a one bedroom ocean view room which is very spacious and comfortable. Sebastian who runs the watersports desk is always great to deal with and can plan whatever excursion that you like (e.g., day trips on boats).We also love having a full kitchen in the room as it is great to be able to cook and the restaurants in Grand Case are a shadow of their former selves in terms of quality. More on that later.

GCBC not a place to go to if you want a tremendous amount of action or excitement. It is a place that is perfect for relaxation, and serves well as a home base should you decide to explore the island. The beaches are big enough for my tastes and I like how uncrowded they are. There are no Casinos nearby, and it doesnt feel like an extension of the US like the Dutch side. The people who go there are pretty low key and a good mix of Americans and Europeans which I like. Thankfully the "loud American" stereotype that you see on the plane ride down to the Island rarely makes it to this place and from what we can tell usually stays on the Dutch side.

The Sunset Cafe located at the hotel is not as good as it used to be. There are new owners, and the quality is below what it was lat year. They may need some time to get up to speed, but I believe that the staff including the chef have not changed. In addition, we were less than thrilled with the quality of the food in Grand Case. We are admitted foodies with high standards, but there used to be decent places to choose from. No longer. We found this to be the case last year and unfortunately found the same quality. There were plenty of people that liked the restaurants but I have a feeling they are not used to really good food. Considering the prices that these restaurants charge, they are a joke. That main drag in Grand Case used to be considered one of the best groupings of restaurants in the Caribbean and sadly some people still think it deserves that title.

We can however highly recommend a restaurant called Sol E Luna which is a short drive from the hotel. Amazing food, and a beautiful location. Not at all touristy, and the service and hospitality are the best around. In addition, at the mall in Marigot is an outpost of the French food purveyor Hediard. They are not to be missed for lunch, and unfortunately they are not open for dinner. These are both fairly expensive places but unlike other places really worth it.

One complaint that I have about the hotel and proved to be an inconvenience is that we had to move rooms about 3 days into our stay. We were informed of this on check in and were upgraded to a more expensive room for the first 3 days, but it is not something that we enjoyed doing and didn't need the extra space that the upgraded room offered. You don't want to have to think about repacking and then not being able to move rooms until the second room is ready, etc. They made the process as pleasant as possible, but it is not something I want to repeat.

Lastly, I highly recommend going on either the sunset cruise, or a day cruise on the Stargazer sailboat. It is a beautiful 42 foot catamaran, run by a wonderful German couple named Holgar and Britta. They are extremely hospitable, and provide great meals to boot. This trip we did both the sunset and a day trip to Anguilla. In my opinion, this is a far better and more personal experience than going on one of the Scooby catamarans.

We look forward to our next stay at GCBC.

1 Thank jmfangio
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2008

This is the location to stay at when you want to go to the beach and discover the island during the day, but you want to walk to dinner and nightlife at night. GCBC is within walking distance to all of Grand Case Village, ripe with excellent french restaurants and funky little beach bars. Contrary to other reviews, you cannot walk to the village of Grand Case from any other hotels on the island. That being said, the beach and the food at GCBC is not really noteworthy. My wife and I took taxis to beaches during the day and usually ate lunches on the beach. We particularly enjoyed Red Beach and Orient Beach. Red Beach is pristine and beautiful with 2 cool little beach BBQ shacks, Gus' and Chez Raymond. Orient Beach is chock full of cool beach bars and restaurants. Honestly, we had the best lunches all along Orient, you cant go wrong. KonTiki and LaPlaya are both excellent.

As for breakfast, walk to Grand Case in the AM and buy some cheese, butter and a fresh Baguette at the supermarket across from the police station, then take it back to the room or sit and eat it on the beach. Excellent!!!

As for dinner, you simply cannot go wrong in Grand Case, but my favorites were le Cottage, L'escapade, Auberge gourmande (sp?), Also, dont miss the Lolos for at least 1 lunch or dinner.

After dinner, prior to stumbling to your room at GCBC, go to Calmos Cafe and hang out with some of the locals. We made great friends there and we miss them often.

As for GCBC, it is small, quiet, clean, and the rooms were nice. But honestly, you stay here for the location. Grand Case is absolutely enticing and i think of it daily.

I welcome any questions.

• Liked — LOCATION!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing
2 Thank dvbNewJersey
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2008

We stayed at Grand Case 7/21/08-7/26/08. We booked them because of the two bedroom suite and full kitchen (we were traveling with our 17 and 21 year old). The room was awesome. There were three bathrooms, one downstairs and two up. The kids had their own which was nice. The kitchen was modern with everything you needed to cook meals there.

On their website the beach looked absolutely beautiful. Once we got there, we realized the beach was very small. Also, while we were swimming you could smell some sort of "stinky" sewer-like smell. It was very annoying and we kept swimming up and down the beach to avoid it. I feel that their website was very misleading as far as the beach goes.

Also, the food is very expensive on the French side as everything is in Euros and tha American dollar is getting hammered right now. The French people..not very accomodating. They did not want to make changes to the menu for us (my daughter is on a special diet).

The front desk employees were also not very accomodating or over friendly.

My advice to anyone traveling to St. Martin..stay on the Dutch side. We traveled to the dutch side to shop and have lunch some days. The Dutch are so much more friendly!

If you are looking for the perfect beach, take the ferry over to Anguilla and just stay there!

• Liked — The room was clean and the maid was very friendly
  • Disliked — The beach and the unfriendly French people
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Lumina9095
gcbcmgr, Manager at Grand Case Beach Club, responded to this review, 17 August 2008
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, though I am sorry that we did not meet all of your expectations. We honestly go out of our way to be friendly and welcoming, and when that is not perceived, we are troubled.
I have reviewed the website and I can not see how we have missrepresented the beaches. The photos used are very representative of the current conditions, and we have made sure that they show the beaches not at their best, but as the majority of our guests will find them. We are very proud of our site gcbc.com and stand by the images used.
The smells that you mention are an embarrassment and I have taken measures to correct them. We were one of the first "green" hotels, and in this particular situation, perhaps a little too green. Rather then go into the dirty details, we went a little out of balance, but have regained it.
You metioned that the beaches on Anguilla are better, and yes, they are beautiful, but different people look for and like differnt things. We are humbled but the number of returning guests that we get who say that we provide what they need, a simple, unpretentious, safe and friendly holiday. Thanks agin for your observations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Case
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,212 reviews
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Grand Case Beach Club? Share your experiences!