“It was OK but check out ruined it”

Grand Case Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Boston, MA
“It was OK but check out ruined it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just return back. Stayed in garden view room. Not sure how people saying that it is an excellent room as it was dark, shady, humid, located on a first floor in further from beach building. You never know what weather is outside as it is impossible to see from that room. AC was good but has to be ON all the time as if you turn it OFF the room becomes humid and unbreathable.

Visiting it for the second time (first time we were there 9 years ago) I would say that the place is going down the hill. The prices are in euro and climbing. Even if you paying cash, they charge you whatever they want.

At the check in, I asked if I can get a better room but they said NO even though 2BD/2BA TH was available as I check it before arrival on their website. I did not say FREE, just better.

Room we stayed in required renovations as it had cracked sink, chipped tiles, broken hairdryer with wires sticking out of it, moldy smell and so far and so on.
Housekeeping was good, but not great. At the beginning even though we always were leaving tips for them they changed our towels daily and swap the floors, but close to the end I’ve notice that they just fold and putted back same used towels I left for them to be replaced in the morning.

Now regarding the public areas: pool – covered in thick layer of mildew. No wonder I saw no one there at any given time. It is in need of immediate cleaning.
Second beach is almost completely gone and no one at the hotel cares about it condition nor cleaning it as it has garbage lying down everywhere, ton of see grass on small pieces of beach that left and a lot of tree leaves in the water. With a bit of an effort, that area might become a very attractive to some of the people.
There are two big iguanas living in the stone wall of the second beach, they are friendly and people feed them all the time, but there also huge piles of their poop lying on the top of the stone wall right in front of the beach chairs. Needed to be cleaned.

Food in Sunset Café was good, not great but the prices are ridiculous, - plate of fruit costs $10 and no fruit included in continental breakfast, only two pieces of bread, two croissants, two very small round cakes and one pastry piece (not sure how to call it); it also has coffee, orange juice two or one small box of jelly and couple of small boxes of butter.
Before coming to this place we stayed at Palm Court at Orient beach (see my review there) and while we hated Orient beach, the hotel was wonderful! They also had continental breakfast but buffet style consisting of variety of fruits, cereal, 4 bog jars of jelly and honey; butter, sweet biscuits, milk, breads, pastries, coffee, orange juice, tea same as here. We are not big eaters but fruits are very important to me and at Grand Case breakfast is most certainly lucking them.

One day we saw a huge cockroach running around the Sunset Café which led us to think about the food quality there.

On the big beach area, they could not put am umbrellas because of the wind, so for the people like us who did not have any tan before arriving here, we could not site there.

On Wednesday wind was so powerful that we barely can sit on our chairs. It was the same on Thursday and Friday and only on Saturday it calmed down a bit. And I heard people arguing that winds on Aruba are horrible! As many times we were there, not even once the wind was blowing so hard.
With gusty winds came power outages, we had three while there. They did not last long though.
Wi-Fi was spotted and almost never worked in our room (I think due to the room location). When we lost if first time we came to the front desk to ask and the lady in charge was rather annoyed by us as of cause it was working in the front desk area but not in our room.

They gave us a gift certificate to the small boutique shop for $30 but all prices there were in euros, so on reality it was only 25 euros.

Restaurants and bakery/grocery shops were within walking distance but it was hard to walk under the hot sun during the day. Overnight I would not walk there as there were a lot of wild dogs on the streets and the neighborhood did not look very safe to me.

But the last drop of my patients was a check out. Our flight was later on Sunday but check out time is 11:00. I stop by the front desk on Saturday and asked if we can stay later and the manager in charge let us stay until 1:00 PM for free and even put a comment into the journal they have. If she would tell me that I have to pay I probably would as I do not want to be outside on the hit all dressed simply killing my time while I can be still at the beach and swimming in the sea.
Later same day when we came back from the beach I’ve notice a checkout paperwork on my table. It was saying that if someone wants to check out later, they will be charge XX amount. So, worrying about that I went to the front desk Sunday morning asking again same question, - can I stay late and until what time. This time another manager in charge looked at the note made on Saturday by her co-worker and said NO, I can only stay until 12.
At this point it was OK as I do not want to pay extra but what pissed me off was that one manager does not honor another manager’s decision! What if I did not come and ask again? She would charge me w/o even letting me know?

We would stay ta the pool as we did at Palm Court before leaving but the pool here was in no condition to be anywhere nearby, so, we had to leave our room at 12 and stay at the café for a couple of hours. Hot, humid, not very pleasant.

So with all that said, I probably won’t go back soon if not at all and if someone asks me for the price I paid and the service I get, I most likely would not recommend this place at least until they start accept 1US $=1 euros as more than half of their guests are from states, not Europe.

2 Thank traveler85_BostonMA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We loved staying in this resort. It was the perfect choice for us since my husband and I are not into the all inclusive need-to-be -entertained-within-and-never-leave-the-resort types.
We enjoyed all the amenities of staying at the Club as well as venturing out to the Grand Case town.
The resort occupies the perfect corner spot with a stunning view of Grand Case and its bay, at the same time located a 10 min. walk from the town main strip with all the restaurants and local color. Every night it was a different dining experience.
Our accommodation was a spacious comfortable duplex with open kitchen. I liked the duplex layout, in particular the top floor bedroom, and the furnishings and paintings are done tastefully. The fixtures look brand new. We felt like we stayed in our own place.
On arrival, we had a welcome bottle of wine awaiting in our apt.
The grounds are well kept with suntanning lounge chairs and benches distributed throughout the property overlooking the bay. Loved the location allowing to enjoy spectacular views while sipping a drink.
The pool is sort of secluded, small but in a nice setting.
The resort has access to a small beach which i understand is the result of natural erosion. However, the beach is relaxing and not crowded because of its size, with calm waters and a view of the Creole, the local spot for snorkeling. Because of the closeness to the Creole, the resort has a beach sports stand organizing several boat trips a day for snorkeling to the Creole and the possibility to book fun trips to Anguilla and Saint Barth. We chose the Anguilla trip by catamaran and had a fantastic day.
We enjoyed the Sunset Cafe' which is part of the resort where our daily free breakfasts were served. Some other visitors complained about the free breakfast which is just coffee/tea, OJ and croissants, everything else on the menu needs to be ordered as an extra and it is not free.
But we are also aware that Saint Martin is not a budget traveler location since all prices are listed in Euros and the conversion was not in our favor. At the same time, both at the Cafe' and in the Grand Case town, we had great meals with French cuisine dominating the scene and tasty Caribbean food too at the "lolos" for some fun and inexpensive meals. Sunset cafe' also serves cocktails that we enjoyed on the beach.
There is a certain European flair at the resort and the staff at the Cafe' was completely French. Philippe, our bartender turning into waiter at dinnertime, made the perfect mojito. Ben at the sports center and our guide of the boat snorkeling excursion to the Creole, is also French and after a rough start that seemed to reinforce the cliche' of the "rude French", he turned out to be a nice guy who really wanted us to enjoy our snorkeling trip.
We will go back to this resort again if we plan a return trip to Saint Martin.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Hana M
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I REALLY enjoyed my 2 weeks at the Grand Case Beach Club but some facets of the resort might not be for everyone. This is a small resort hotel. It is NOT a mega resort which is a good thing in my opinion. The location is a very short walk to Grand Case and the best restaurants on the island. The onsite restaurant - not owned by the hotel (more on that later) - has very good food, great service, and a reasonable price (for Grand Case dining). The pool is small but why bother when you have two very nice beaches at your doorstep. The grounds are well maintained and for the most part the staff is attentive and friendly. Front desk can become "curt" when overwhelmed but who doesn't from time to time. The high speed Internet is free and works well - coverage in the rooms can be spotty but is excellent outdoors which is where you'll want to spend all of your time on this gorgeous property.

Each room includes a full kitchen and the grocery shopping on the island is phenomenal. The best of Europe (France/Italy) with a smattering of US brands. You should want for nothing - I highly recommend the Grand Marche by the Casino and RBC bank between Marigot and Philipsburg. There is a Simply at the edge of Grand Case which has "almost" as good a selection as the Grand Marche.

This is a very family friendly resort and not a party oasis which might be a problem for some - I consider it a plus. My wife and I are at that age where a boisterous evening has no allure and the laughter of children is often a joy.

The resort's patrons are from Europe and North America - so we got to giggle at some of the awkward moments as cultures collide. Remember, you are a visitor and not everyone appreciates your cultural proclivities. We speak English, French and Spanish so we never had trouble communicating but for the most part everyone speaks some English.

The onsite restaurant - which is NOT owned by the hotel - offers a free French Continental breakfast which includes some baguette, some croissants, a few micro-muffins, coffee, and an orange juice. You can upsize the breakfast at additional cost. Adding a couple of eggs to round out the meal will run you 3-4 USD. They have daily specials and they are excellent value. In the two weeks we had their mussels, the duck comfit, conch stew, curry chicken, etc and all were reasonably priced, generously portioned (in our opinion), and well priced (Grand Case can be expensive).

We're already planning going back next year - three weeks likely this time.

As a side note - my wife got a urinary infection fairly early on and we had to go to a doctor. It was a 5 minute walk away - cost 30USD for a consult and prescription which we got filled at the pharmacy in town for 30USD. The doctor was from France and very friendly/understanding - he has walk in hours 5 days a week morning and afternoons.

Room Tip: Go to their website and they have floor plans and photos of all the rooms. We did beachside but the...
3 Thank RandomString
white marsh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I would rate this property as excellent if it was adults only. Never the less it's a great place to stay.
As many folks will say the restaurant (SunSet Café) has excellent food, a bit pricy because of the ERUO 2 pancakes no meat 4.50 euro x1.34 exchange rate euro to the dollar = $6.03 for two pancakes. Service quality can be a bit spotty as well however so can the best of the best restaurants have service issues. No worries still an extremely friendly staff at the café.
This location has many areas within the compound where there are great views of the beaches and ocean. It truly is a short walk into town.
Here are a few thoughts to keep in mind. This is a boutique hotel, not a Hilton. There are charges to use the exercise room and the BBQ grill. free parking however it could be limited at times.
The property grounds and the rooms are well maintained. There are cats (4 or 5) could be less roaming freely.
I think this location has many folks who return to stay because of the location and the staff.
I understand the rates will increase in 2015 couple that with the exchange rate plus the service charges from your credit card providers this could prove to be an expense hotel.
This is not a rowdy party location by far.

Room Tip: Garden views would be the rooms that I would choose again, it a very short walk from anywhere within...
3 Thank Randy t
Columbia, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Just returned from a week at Grand Case Beach Club, and had a wonderful time. The main attraction of the hotel is far and away its location, wedged along a small, but very clean and beautiful strip of beach at the north outskirts of the town of Grand Case. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the north half of Grand Case, although trips to the restaurants along the southernmost part of the town might be better reached by driving. The hotel grounds and rooms were kept very clean, the bed was comfortable, the staff was very friendly and responsive, and the cafe/restaurant served very good meals throughout the day. Would highly recommend as an ideal mid-range hotel from which to explore Grand Case and the rest of the French side of Saint Martin.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jon M
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

this hotel is relaxing and the location is perfect. The private beach and on site restaurant is great for those not wanting to rent a car. 10 min walk to all the best restaurants on the island. The rooms were recently updated and bigger than expected. i didnt realize i would want a kitchen but it came in handy - we ended up saving money because we filled our fridge with snacks and drinks. enjoyed every minute of our stay and will go back!

Room Tip: rooms on the second floor have balconies while first floor rooms have their own loungers right out f...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank dmo_really
former NYr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel is located two blocks from the strip of beautiful restaurants on the water, in Grand Case St. Martin. The rooms were very well equipped. We enjoyed the full sized refrigerator as it cooled our store purchased goods while saving us a few dollars. The restaurant (Sunset Cafe) is exceptional, with a beautiful linguini and white clam sauce for lunch. The wine selection is extensive and the lobster, on friday, is slightly discounted.
The front desk was very helpful, the cleaning crew thorough, even if they serviced the rooms a little late.
The breakfast was bread, butter, jelly, juice,and coffee. If that satisfies your breakfast needs, good. If not you'll have to order off the menu for an additional charge. That being said, there aren't many breakfast places nearby. None that are open in the morning. (no joke, two crepe places very close to the hotel aren't open until late afternoon)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,215 reviews
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Grand Case Beach Club? Share your experiences!