“i could live here”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
nj
“i could live here”
Reviewed 16 December 2008

Grand Case beach club is small and low key. It has a gym, water sports and a restaurant, but otherwise it's like having an apartment on the beach. The smallest room has a full kitchen. The staff is friendly and unobtrusive.
The location is walking disance to dozens of restaurants and a short drive to many other beaches. This is a place to relax and eat good food.

• Liked — location, atmosphere
  • Disliked — shower didn't drain well
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank faye57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed 15 December 2008

We just came back from Grand Case Beach Club & had a wonderful, relaxing vacation!
The oceanfront loft was great, big king bedroom
upstairs & a full living area downstairs. It was
nice to have the extra space. Our view of the beach was
beautiful. The entire complex had a very topical feel & was
maintained extremly well.
It was nice to walk into town to sample all the
great resturants. Here are a few we loved:
* Le California
* Le Escapade
* Spiga
We also went to an amazing french resturant near Cupoecouy
called "Le Monmarte" it was our favorite!!!! rivals the best NYC
resturants.
We had such a great time enjoying the beach & the weather.
The staff at Grand Case are very friendly.
We are definetly going to return.

• Liked — Beach
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lahrens
Little Falls, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 December 2008

Sooooo relaxing! Great bay and sunset view from the second floor room. Returned to eat at Marakesh, Calmos Cafe and, in Marigot, La Main a la Pate, for as remembered terrific experiences. LIked Spiga. Tried the included breakfast at the Sunset Cafe once or twice and it was fine. Ordered an extra omlet which was well prepared. But, with so many good choices, I can' only recommend it for dinner if you don't want to leave the hotel grounds. Happily, used the wifi connection in the lobby and bought a few tasty apps at The Bounty (French Deli) plus a (shudder) box of French Chardonnay which was surprisingly delicious. DID NO SHOPPING, SNORKELING, SAILING or TOURING and just lay in the hammock reading, with the occasional walk on the beach and swim past the buoy.....PERRRFECT.

• Liked — Unpretentious comfort., cleanliness and convenience--great value
  • Disliked — If you expect the Ritz Carlton youwill be disappointed
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wllm
Oslo
Reviewed 30 November 2008

I came home from St.Martin yesterday after 6 days at GCBC. I was supposed to stay at the Radisson, but due to it was not finished (still under construction) we were transfered to Grand Case Beach Club. As I work as a travel agent i knew a little about this hotel from before as a ok hotel. But after 6 days I can say that it was much better than expected! From the moment we came to the hotel we felt welcomed and was met with friendlyness and very good service. Roselyn in the reception and Laurent in the Sunset cafe made us immideately feel good. Also the manager and the rest of the staff in the Sunset cafe with a high level of service. The food was excellent Also many good restaurant in the village of Grand Case - only 10 minutes walk from the hotel. We specially liked the Calmos cafe and Bodega - both "cheap" with good food and nice location. You can walk really safely in the village.

We had a oceanfront studio room and the room was clean and fresh with a stove, fridge, microvawe, toaster, coffe machine, small tv, ironboard and iron and radio/cd player. This was very nice to have with a small child as we could just walk out to the beach and have everything we need close.

The hotel also have 2 clothes washing machine and 1 dryer, The washer took about 30 minutes and the dryer 1 hour. There is a small pool, 1 small beach and 1 bigger (public beach), lots of sunbeds, carrental, free newspaper (miami herald), 1 complementary bottle of wine upon arrival, tennis court, watersport activity desk and excursions.

The boys at the activity desk gave a very good service. From assisting with beach related issues to helping with recomodation on what to see and do in the island

My only negative experience were the rental car we got from hire company in the reception. The car seemed old and was very slow up the steep hills. This was an alternative car as the normal cars were not availiable - usually they advertise with a Toyota Corolla orr KIA. Was not so nice with other cars using the horns.
But we got to see the island and made the best out of it. I still recomed everybody to rent a car for a day to see the island - spesially the Maho beach were the airplane fly just a few meters over the beach..

I will definately recomend both clients and other that want to stay in a quiet and relaxing place this hotel!! It is a good hotel for couples and families - not for those after a party experience.

Christian - Norway

• Liked — That it was so relaxing and the food at the sunset cafe
  • Disliked — The car I got in the carrental
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank TittanBaerum
Hampton, Virginia, USA
Reviewed 15 November 2008

I have been all over the Caribbean, but nothing compares with St. Martin and the GCBC. It's very close to perfect! I traveled with my 16-month-old son, husband, and parents. We had a two-bedroom condo and rented a crib, which just fit in the tiny hallway upstairs and suited my son fine.

Here were my favorite things about it:

- Natural beauty: Even after reading so many reviews, I was unprepared for the grounds at GCBC. At every turn there is a stone archway with flowers growing over it, or a little outdoor dinner nook of teak wood beneath a grass umbrella, or a bench for two overlooking a vista. They are even building a new boardwalk that goes around the little peninsula where Sunset Cafe is located!
- Customer service: It has that rep for a reason! Such warmth and courtesy, and everyone knew what they were doing.
- Location: It's tucked into an area that's very authentic and local. You're not on a hotel strip!
- Free breakfast: I'm a big eater, and the yummy variety of rolls, baguettes, and croissants with coffee and juice was plenty for us!
- Madeover rooms: Flat-screen TVs! Granite-counter kitchens! What's more, they even provide a stereo with Caribbean-music CDs already in there waiting
- Fresh flowers in your room: I had thought that was just staging in the promo photos, but they really do that! There was a bouquet on our table and hibiscus blossoms on our towels, which were great while sipping our free bottle of wine.

The food in Grand Case is definitely expensive, but like any fine restaurant, it's worth it! It's the best food you'll ever taste, and as someone who eats no red meat, seafood, or garlic, I managed to still find lots of dishes to enjoy! We got either a $1=1 Euro rate or something close, so bring cash like everyone says!

Yes, the beaches are narrower than others on the island, but I found that to be a positive feature... you're not walking a long way to get to the water! We had plenty of space to spread out stuff, and the selection of beach toys for my small child was very nice. They have quality dense-foam rafts to check out for free (my parents were convinced you had to rent them!), and I loved the little "bring me a drink" flags by each chair.

The lolos were phenominal---little local outdoor grills---and you buy everything there a la carte. All the meats were $4 per plate, and the sides $2! Can't beat that! And the ribs, oh my goodness, the best any of us had ever eaten. I was licking my fingers for days! They also had neat homemade ice cream in flavors like coconut.

As for what I didn't like, the list is short!
- Bathrooms: They were very EconoLodge. Plain, a bit dated, rundown in spots. I assume those will be the next thing to get a facelift once they recover from redoing the kitchens!
- Child safety on the island: There is no concept! The rental portacrib was OK, but they had no fitted sheet for it, and instead just tucked a flat sheet around the edges. That's a major strangulation/suffocation risk for an infant! And the Prestige Value car rental guys had no clue how to install a car seat properly, or the safest location of the car for placing it. I had to show THEM the ropes, even though the seat brand was foreign to me.

I never want to go anywhere else in the Caribbean again, just the GCBC! Nothing compares!

• Liked — Value! You got the most gorgeous place on earth---plus free breakfast---for next to nothing!
  • Disliked — The bathrooms
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank UNC_Melissa
New York
Reviewed 30 October 2008

Grand Case Beach Club was the perfect spot for our trip. Their nightly rates were super competitive, yet the quality was great. The hotel's beach was beautiful and the continental breakfast on the deck was a great way to start every day. The staff was also very responsive and helpful when hurricane Omar came through. They kept us in the loop with memos and meetings and made sure we'd have food by making take-out food available ahead of time.

The location was great as well. Grand Case lived up to its reputation of "culinary bay" with great restaurants. Thank God we stayed on the French side, as it was so much more authentic and not built up like the Dutch side. It was also a very short drive to Orient Bay, Friar Bay and Marigot, so you never felt stuck.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Smell in some parts of parking lot.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank arcticpuffin
Toronto
Reviewed 29 October 2008

My wife and I wanted a nice place to get married. I grew up in the Caribbean as a kid and knew that Grand Case was the "Gastronomic Capital" Having great food rather than the typical Club Sandwich menu was our primary goal. That is why we chose Grand Case.

The Grand Case Beach Club is located at the end of Restaurant Row and is a nice clean, intimate, well kept place that I would not hesitate going back to or recommending to a friend.

The staff, the grounds, the room, all contributed to a great experience. The food at the local restaurants is outstanding!

Probably my favorite spot.

• Liked — Very Intimate and tranquil with great access to some of the finest cuisine.
  • Disliked — Nothing really.
  • Stayed May 2006
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Grand Case Beach Club? Share your experiences!