“Lobster and Escargot Magnificent!”
Review of Bistrot Caraibes

Bistrot Caraibes
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistrot Caraibes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 68 Restaurants in Grand Case
Price range: US$15 - US$70
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Jacksonville, Florida
“Lobster and Escargot Magnificent!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We had a great meal once again! My lobster thermidor was wonderful. Great service as well! A great French meal in St Martin!!!

Alexandria, Virginia
“Superb French Food, Great Service, Wine List is Small, Expensive”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

After reading many positive reviews, we decided to have dinner at Bistro Caraibes. We arrived without a reservation around 8:00 pm on a Sunday night and had no problem getting a table. The hostess/server was more than happy to seat us in a cozy table in a nook.

I browsed the wine list and ended up selecting a bottle of 2012 Gevery-Chambertin Burgundy. I thought it was expensive at $74 Euro. We did enjoy it, and it paired well with the escargot appetizer and sea bass I ordered, but again, I thought it was overpriced. Pleasant fruit, but it lacked structure and finish. I would prefer that they provide more affordable wine options on the list.

Despite our issues with the wine, we did enjoy the food immensely. We ordered all of our items off the specials list. I opted to try the escargot and mushrooms as my starter. It was served with a fantastic creamy sauced that complimented the texture and flavor of both the snails and mushrooms. For my entree I ordered the sea bass, which was grilled with skin on. They had both a full, and boneless version, which was nice for people who don't like dealing with the bones. I thought was cooked perfectly and accompanied with some wonderful veggies and a creamy brown sauce.

The decor is very cozy and reminds me of a standard small French cafe. It does seem a bit more formal than most St Maarten restaurants, and unfortunately the clientele here does not follow that suggestion. There was a family seated next to us where the son wore a tank top, shorts, and flip flops to dinner. In fact the entire family was dressed very shabbily. The best part was as they were leaving one of the patrons seated next to them said "I hope they deliver your luggage soon!" That gave me a good laugh.

At the end of our meal they gave us a digestive, which was their ginger rum. It was delicious! I wanted to buy a bottle, but I didn't see it available for purchase. That said, I really enjoyed the shot and would not hesitate to order one on our next visit.

Overall, I thought the meal was excellent. It is expensive, especially considering the dollar to euro exchange rate. In fact, that just exacerbates the pricing issues with the wine. Besides, that we enjoyed our dinner and would recommend Bistrot Caraibes to others visiting Grand Case.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank volkswankin
New York City, New York
“Excellent French food”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is by far the best restaurant on St. Martin. Snails in mushroom sauce are to die for. Cannot wait to go back there and try their lobster.

Visited July 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent French Resturant!”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Really a nice place! Very friendly and polite service. The food is fantastic. I had a lobster bisque soup and beef tenderloin with Duck liver. It was delicious . My husband had a French onion soup and veal scallopini and it was also very good. Don't miss the desserts, as they are beyond delicious!

New York
“The place where lobsters go to meet their Maker - happily”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is the second time my wife and I have eaten here, and it's been impressive both times. We had a 3 1/2 lb lobster, which they prepared 1/2 grilled, and the other 1/2 thermidor style (my first time), and it was exquisite. An excellent wine list, friendly staff, and just what you'd expect from a high-end restaurant in a French fishing village - great food with a down-to-earth attitude. Do NOT miss this place.

• Visited June 2014