“Loved L'Esplanade and Grand Case”
Review of Hotel L'Esplanade

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Case
Hotel L'Esplanade
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Reviewed 8 December 2007

I just returned from a week at Hotel L'Esplanade. I have traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean and I've got to say, this visit to Grand Case was one of the best in terms of lodging, food, and service.

I originally booked 5 nights at L'Esplanade but extended my stay to 8 nights after a few days at the hotel. My original booking was for a deluxe loft where I spent my first 5 nights. The loft had a great view of the ocean and Grand Case. The hotel was fully booked during my stay so I was thrilled when I decided to stay 3 nights longer and they were able to get me into a 1 bedroom suite that had just completed renovation the day I was to leave. The staff went out of their way to ready the suite for me and it was well worth it. The 3 nights in the 1 bedroom suite was the most amazing hotel experience I've ever had. Everytime I returned to the room, I was struck by how beautifully it was decorated. Everyone who visited me at the hotel gasped as they turned the corner into the living room and saw the beautifully framed view of Grand Case and the ocean.

Everyone at L'Esplanade, from the cleaning crew to the gardeners, to the staff in the office, were extremely friendly and helpful. The pool bar opened for the season during my stay and I met some absolutely wonderful people there from both Europe and the US. The bartender, Allen, is a great guy and was always entertaining.

The walk to Grand Case and restaurant row is very easy (10 minutes) down a well-maintained path. During the day I spent most of my time on the beach at Calmos Cafe. I felt like a regular at Calmos after just a day or 2 due to the owner Alex and his staff. The beach at Calmos is the best within walking distance and you can use the Cafe's lounge chairs and umbrellas if you're drinking or eating there. They also have live music on Thursday and Sunday night. Most nights I ate at one of the restaurants on restaurant row. My favorites: Spicy, Le Pressoir, Le Cottage, and Le Escapade. A few restaurants have $1=1 euro if you pay in cash which is a tremendous deal considering $1=1.4 euro at the moment. Get lots of cash when you land on the Dutch side as there are no ATMs in Grand Case and it's a drive to the nearest one on the Dutch side.

I ventured to the Dutch side of the island a few times. The only memorable visit was to Bliss nightclub in Maho Bay. The club was really nice and reminded me of something out of Mykonos. It was an outdoor club with a great mix of hip hop and dance music. The night I was there, they were featuring a dj from nyc. Even when it started raining around 3am, everyone just kept dancing. The cab ride to Bliss was not too bad at $50 for a group of 5 people.

I rented a car from David Charles who keeps a stable of cars at Hotel L'Esplanade. The hotel can put you in touch with David. David's a great guy and will drive you to the airport for free if you rent a car from him. That's a great deal if you're flying in/out of the Dutch side which is a 30 minute drive/$25 or so.

Overall, this was one of the best trips I've had to the Caribbean. Hotel L'Esplanade is worth every penny and Grand Case is the best place to stay in St. Martin if you're looking for great food, great people, and some downtime from the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
16  Thank BostonFitz

Reviewed 7 December 2007

Our last stay at L'Esplanade was about 6 years ago and we absolutely loved the hotel then. Time frequently dulls memories, but in this case, those memories were still spot on.

This hotel is just as beautiful as its website (and your photos) indicate. The hotel is immaculate, the rooms are spotless and the staff is wonderful. In fact, the only slight complaint I have is that our bed seemed just a tad too firm, but I still managed to sleep soundly every night!

We did not use the pool at the hotel since we prefer to spend our days at Orient Beach. We love not having to drive to dinner - it's so nice to be able to stroll down the hill for dinner. We also walked to breakfast each morning rather than take advantage of the rather pricey breakfast that could be ordered from the hotel.

In some other reviews, there has been mention of a welcome bottle of wine. We didn't receive this,but instead we got a very nice, heavy duty beach bag. In addition, we also had a loaf of good bread, cookies, coffee and a very large bottle of water. The kitchen is well equipped for basic cooking, and impeccably clean. There was an ironing board and iron in our room, as well as a handy rack. We also appreciated the half-bath downstairs.

I cannot imagine staying anywhere else on the island.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MGCTravels
Reviewed 11 November 2007

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Hotel L'esplanade. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The room was divine. It was spacious it had a very luxurious king sized bed. Bathroom was always immaculate due to the exceptional maid service. The kitchenette was great very spacious and contained every kitchen utensil we needed. The pool was great i think we lived out by the pool and in the pool. The pool was always clean. We will defintely go there to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversity

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Madretty
Reviewed 28 August 2007

After spending a week with friends on the Dutch side in a very convenient villa right on the water, my husband and I decided to end our trip to St. Martin with a few days to ourselves to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We chose Grand Case and the Hotel L'Esplanade. From the moment we arrived we knew we made the right choice. We stayed in a loft room, room 15, on the end of the hotel. The room was wonderful, had a nice balcony overlooking Grand Case and the ocean beyond (on which we enjoyed a nice bottle of wine following our in room massages the first day). A second balcony/patio provided a great place to read and enjoy breakfast the next morning. The staff was incredible. We ate at Spiga, which though not on the water is quite quaint and if you sit outside you will enjoy a very residential/neighborhood front porch feel with a nice breeze. We ate there two nights in a row with no regrets of any kind (both nights were delicious and the service was the best we had on the island). We hope to try other restaurants on our next visit but given our limited time and the somewhat restricted hours or days of operation in the low season, several of the restaurants we would have tried and would like to try in the future were not open. But we didn't mind eating at Spiga twice and will eat there again. Upon departing the hotel for the airport we knew we would have to come back and hope to spend an entire week at Hotel L'Esplanade on our next trip. St. Martin/St. Marteen is such an easily navigated island we found both the Dutch and French sides equally convenient to everywhere but the special added touches at this hotel are a true stand out!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
13  Thank RumJumbie
Reviewed 26 August 2007

Most of it has already been said, but just wanted to put in another good note for Hotel L'Esplanade! We were there for our honeymoon and could not have imagined a better spot. A friend who lives in St. Martin said Grand Case is *the* nicest place on the island; based on our brief excursions, I agree! Petit Plage, 10 minute walk from the hotel, was so, so beautiful.

The concierge were very nice and helpful, giving us lots of directions and recommendations for things to do nearby. Near the end of the vacation some neighbors with a loud baby moved in, and the woman at the front desk was genuinely apologetic and moved us quickly into a quieter room. So, the walls are a little thin but I am sure it's like this at every hotel. There did seem to be a mix of families and couples staying at the hotel and on the island, FYI.

We stayed in the loft which actually turned out to be, in my opinion, nicer than the one bedroom suite because it had beautiful, tall ceilings and a slightly more quaint feel. But you can look on the pictures on their website and decide for yourself.

August weather was beautiful--hot but made comfortable by the sea breezes. But buy travel insurance for the hurricane season, just in case. Recommend renting a car for your stay on the island; only $30 a day through the service arranged by the hotel. Biking and sidewalks are nonexistent on the island; beware of cars whipping around corners too! Most grocery stores don't have bug spray--go to a pharmacy to pick some up.

Spiga was our favorite restaurant in Grand Case. Zen It makes a fantastic lunch spot but it is priced in Euros so a little expensive. Thought the view at the widely acclaimed L'Esperance was fantastic, but the food decidedly mediocre.

St. Martin a beautiful island; albeit quite poor esp. on the Dutch side. Again, Hotel L'Esplanade a complete dream -- perfect honeymoon or romantic getaway!

Stayed: August 2007
7  Thank traveltheworld5
Reviewed 26 August 2007

L'Esplanade was a great start to our fantastic honeymoon on St Martin. The hotel's European (Mediterrean) inspired decor and fantasitc location, perched slightly above edge of Grand Case, created a serene atmosphere. Jonathan et al. were attentive, helpful and spot-on accurate in their recommendations.

The room was amazing (decorated in furniture I one day hope to own) and had a private balcony. The details made the experience: small flowers everywhere, great kitchen setup/supplies, flavored water in the main area, free internet access, etc. It is not on the beach but then again Grand Case is not known for it's beaches (although Petite Plage via GCBC access is close and has a great beach - it's all laid out in the Welcome Packet which includes a complimentary bottle of wine and fresh baguette) The pool was very nice and relaxing in the evenings and apres-dinner. "Martine", an adorable white cat paid us many a visit on the balcony.

Grand Case is a quiet town (a far cry from Phillipsburg and super-developed Maho / Simpson.) with great restaurants. Perfect for those in search of a peaceful, romantic escape. We did day trips to other parts and looked forward to comimng back to the peace. A short if adventurous walk (narrow street with two-way traffic) takes you through town. L"Cottage, L'Escapade, Spiga, L'hibiscus and the two dueling Lolos were some of our favorite restaurants. Remember this is the Caribbean which by western standards is relatively poor per capita - so don't expect a fairy tale style town BUT THIS TOWN FOR SURE HAS ITS CHARM.

Also, we felt very safe walking to town and didn't rent a car. Taxis can get expensive to go to other parts BUT we found the "BUSES" the way to go. For ex: taxi to Phillipsburg = $30 - $35. The BUS = $5 for two of us. The buses are long thinner vans that seat 12 - 30 people. Look for one to Marigot then switch to Phillipsburg bus. Same road travelled and the stops add very little time.

Pinel Isle is a must and try to catch the first Ferry there - 10 AM to get a great spot. It is worth while renting a car for that trip as Cul de Sac - where the ferry is - is isolated. We bussed it.

All in all a great experience at L'Esplanade and I would stay here in a heartbeat on our next stay. I would recommend this for people wanting a romantic getaway, honeymoon, or quiet trip. Certain teens and children might get antsy staying in such quiet part of the island.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
12  Thank VTTripper
Reviewed 9 August 2007

My husband sought out a neat little "escape" to surprise me with for my birthday, and Hotel L'Esplanade was it! We could not have been happier! Our room was huge with lovely furniture and a beautiful wrap-around veranda; oh, and the bath products were wonderful too - they have them for sale, and were it not for the FAA's 3 oz. carry-on rules, I would have bought them to bring home. This is truly a great place to visit and a great place to stay! I would happily stay there again (and again, and again...)!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
The Villas at Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina

Been to Hotel L'Esplanade? Share your experiences!