“Perfect Small Hotel”
Review of Hotel L'Esplanade

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Case
Hotel L'Esplanade
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Second time here and though still worth top grades, just slightly less perfect than the first. This time the one bedroom loft was room 15, and the beautiful balcony from which we remembered watching our sunsets was much smaller as this is located at the end of the building and there is another balcony on the side. As the two of us would only use one at a time, this was much less satisfactory. All that about such a small matter because everything else was great.
Noticed a light bulb out - replaced immediately. Fantastic service, cheerful staff, Alan and Tammy at the pool bar were great!
Yes, you have to walk up and down the hill to get to town and/or the beach, but I consider that a plus. First you have security on the hillside where only guests and staff are present and second, after those great meals in Grand Case, you need a way to burn some calories.
Highly recommend this hotel which is at once highly professional and warm and welcoming. They work hard to keep their well deserved reputation.
If you want to go to one of the world's most perfect beaches head to Friar's beach - a right turn before you get to Marigot.

Room Tip: Balcony on room 15 is a bit small.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Just got back from a 6 night stay at L'Esplande and I could not be more please with my choice of hotel - based mostly on prior reviews. The rooms was large and nicely appointed w/2 terrances facing the sea. The staff was very pleasant and helpful - before heading out to our first day at the beach we stopped in the small gift shop downstairs to see if they had any swimming goggles for our daughter. They did not but Mark at the front desk offered to run out to his car and get a pair of his kids goggles that we could borrow. He also gave us directions to a dive shop where we could purchase them later on. It's the small touches like this that make trips more enjoyable. The location is also great as we were 10 - 12 mins walk from all the great restaurants (my reviews on those coming soon) and most of the nice beaches and attractions are a short drive: Orient Beach (15 mins), Loterie Farm (10- 12 mins), Marigot (15 mins).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My family and I just returned from St Maartin. We stayed here for a week and I'm already trying to figure out when we can go back. My adult children stayed in a loft. It was perfect for the three of them. We cooked in for breakfast and lunch and the hotel made us dinner reservations in Grand Case.The Hotel is beautifully decorated. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff is very helpful and friendly. It's just a gorgeous place to stay yet very low key.
It's a short walk to the beach. We walked to the Cafe Calmos or Rainbow (which is near Le Petit Hotel, their other property) for the day. They give you beach chairs for $5 and if you eat lunch , the chairs are free. I don't think you would ever get tired of hanging out on the beach. The water is the most gorgeous blue color.
We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I stayed at L'Esplanade with my Fiance for 7 days and was very sad to leave. With unbelievably beautiful views of Grande Case bay, from sunset to sunrise, you truly feel you are in Paradise! On day 1 of arrival you have fresh flower petals, french banquette, and treats awaiting you. The staff are happy to accommodate and are very friendly. I made many friends while staying there, many people who book a year in advance, and have been coming back for over 10 years because of it's comfort and class. You must try a pina colada made by the poolside bartender, or walk down to Le Pressoire restaurant for an authentic French meal or other restaurants nearby. This was my second time staying at L'Esplanade and I hope to return for many, many years.

Room Tip: If you can book one of the loft suites you are in luck!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emily H
Reviewed 25 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here following our cruise. Unfortunately we were only able to stay for one evening before we had to head home. The hotel was gorgeous! We stayed in an oversized loft and loved it. We had great views and easy accessibility to the restaurants in Grand Case. The pool was beautiful and the lounge chairs very comfortable. Before we got to this hotel we didn't really love St Martin. We agreed we would both go back just to be able to stay at L'Esplanade.

Room Tip: Oversized loft was huge and beautiful!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in March. Overall, a great hotel and you won't be disappointed. After reading prior reviews, I wanted to add commentary based on our experience.

*location super convenient to Grand Case and an easy walk (you would have to be very old or out of shape to think that small walk difficult!
*beds super comfy
*checkin staff great --offered me a converter special for flat iron without me asking. Nice touch! Pool staff ok--didn't come out to ask for drinks you had to go bar and ask and one day no ices so couldn't make frozen drinks?
*airplanes mildly annoying taking off and landing--but worse was some of the motorbike sounds!! Crazy drivers revving through town !

All in all a great place but didn't hold a candle to the other place where we stayed for 4 nights in French cul-de-sac! See my other review....

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Wow! My friend and I stayed at L'ESPLANADE for four nights this past week. She had never been to the Caribbean before. I have been to St. Maarten/Saint Martin many times with my family. This hotel "ON THE HILL, ABOVE THE REST" is spectacular! When we arrived we were greeted by Kristin who is part of the family that owns the hotel. She was so cool and down to earth that we felt as if we already knew her. We could have spent our whole time just hanging out and chatting with her. The architecture and colors of the reception area are calm and inviting and the view is amazing. I can see how this place has so many repeat visitors. My friend is already looking into plans to bring her sons here to show them , in her words "the perfect spot for a warm vacation."
I just finished reading some reviews on the hotel and feel I have to comment on the one titled " Couldn't have been more dissappointed." They stated they were expecting a "pampered stay". I guess we all have different definitions of words but... if I had to use one word for this whole hotel experience it would be just that...PAMPERED! The TV never worked? I'm not sure why there even needs to be a TV in the rooms considering the view from the balconies. There is so much to do. No food service in the hotel? ummm what about the fact that the rooms come with a kitchenette! It was fantastic to wake up in the morning to beautiful surroundings and to be able to make your own cup of coffee, eat the danish you bought the evening earlier at the local French Bakery, grab a chair on the balconey and have breakfast! After having breakfast, we would throw on our bathing suits head to the lobby to get the most wonderful cold cucumber and lemon water, (complimentary 24 hours a day) and head out for the day. We rented a car near the Philipsburg airport when we flew in from Boston. Kristen directed us to Orient Beach. We ended up starting everyday at Orient Beach taking a long walk on the sand and through the water. In the evenings each day,we would go the the pool area for Happy Hour and let Tammy and Alan entertain us! They were great! Somehow they always managed to bring everyone together in conversation and laughter. Really nice meomories. Then we would head down a serene pathway with beautiful Boganvillia and Aloe growing on both sides. The path took us to a local road where you get a nice taste of how the locals live. Next thing you know you are on the main drag of Grand Case. So festive. Some many choices of places to go and shop and eat! I can go on and on about the whole experience that started at L"ESPLANADE... THE HOTEL ON THE HILL ABOVE THE REST! I just cannot imagine anyone being dissappointed at this Magical place. I cannot wait to return. Maybe next time around Kristin will join us for a glass of wine!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 7 in Simpson Bay
Belmond La Samanna
Belmond La Samanna
#1 of 1 in Terres Basses

Been to Hotel L'Esplanade? Share your experiences!