“Awesome Hotel for a Honeymoon!!”
Review of Hotel L'Esplanade

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Case
Hotel L'Esplanade
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Nashville
“Awesome Hotel for a Honeymoon!!”
Reviewed 4 May 2009

My wife and just got back from a phenominal honeymoon trip to St. Martin and Hotel L'esplanade. This place is exactly how it is depicted on the photos from the hotel website. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms (a Studio I think?) and it was perfect for us since it was just the two of us. The entire place has a very Meditteranean (sp?) feel and our room had a great decor with lots of dark wood furniture, clean and crisp white bedding, and an awesome bathroom with an open air shower. The pool area isn't very big but it is very charming and while we only went to the pool three times all week we never shared it with more than probably two or three other couples, so it definitely felt like it was a perfect size for such a small hotel. The hotel staff did a great job helping me book a few of the things that we planned to do during our week long stay there.

The walk up/down the footbath to Grande Case isn't bad at all, we walked for every meal that we ate in Grande Case (which was most of our meals). I also have to recommend that you rent a car (we used Justice Rental Cars) because the best beaches are in other areas of the island. Petite Plage and Grande Case Beach are really pretty but they are just too small.

We took the ferry boat to Pinel Island and loved it, did a Rhino Riders tour to Creole Rock and thought it was awesome, took the Scoobitoo catamaran cruise to Prickly Pear (Anguilla) and thought it was great, but our favorite thing was the Extreme Zip Line Course at Loterie Farm. That was the bomb!!

Once again, we absolutely loved our trip to St. Martin and we have already decided that if/when we go back we will be staying at Hotel L'esplanade.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank treyabston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Boston
Reviewed 15 April 2009

The hotel and staff here are wonderfull and the price s reasonable. The only real downside is that this is not really a beach hotel. The beach in grad case is not one where you would want to spend a day laying out in the sun. Also, the resturats in this area are turley French, so expect anything expcet traditional French food.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed 13 April 2009

This hotel is everything you've been reading and so much more. The hotel is downright beautiful and the grounds are pristine. But what separates this hotel from the rest is the service. Anything you ask, they will take care of instantly. We were there for a combo wedding/honeymoon and our wedding party had 7 of the hotel rooms. Every member of our party raved about the service. Upon our arrival, Myriam (who is FABULOUS!) delivered a bottle of champagne to our room. When we needed coffee filters, they delivered them to the room less than a minute after I called. Towels? No problem. Electrical converter? Consider it done. On our wedding day, my husband asked that the room be cleaned a little earlier than normal so that I could return from the spa to a clean room in which to get ready. Not only was the cleaning lady there within 5 minutes, but they decorated our entire 2 story suite in flowers. Later in the week at the awesome pool (see Alan, the best bartender) I went into the bathroom and found a mess. I passed the front desk and told them about the issue. They called a maid right in front of me and the maid was heading down to clean the bathrooms right then. This is our second stay at one of Kristin and Mark's hotels (we stayed at Le Petit last yr) and we already booked our trip for next yr. Do not bother looking anywhere else other than Le Petit, otherwise you will just be disappointed.

Some other quick recommendations:

If you like Scuba Diving, there is a place right down the way from the hotel called Octopus Diving. The staff is great and we had a ton of fun.

For breakfast, we went to one of the many supermarkets in Grand Case and bought breakfast food and snacks. The nearest place to eat breakfast is at Sunset Cafe, which is in the Grand Case Beach Club (just down from L'Esplanade). The breakfasts are yummy but very pricey since everything is in euros. A small breakfast for 2 costs roughly $30. That can add up for 10 days.

For lunch, the two best places to eat are the hotel pool (where either Alan, Alex, or their mother make some mean lunches) or at one of the Lolo's in Grand Case. We like the lolo called Sky's the Limit.

For dinner, do it right! Mario's Bistro in Marigot is a must go and make reservations. We had 4 waiters for a table of 6! And the food was incredible. The Tropicana, also in Marigot, is a great lunch spot right in the marina. But if you want, you never have to leave Grand Case. This trip, we ate at La California (best pizza!), Il Nettuno (yummy Italian if you get sick of french food), Brasserie des Iles and Calmo's Cafe. We also ate at Blue Martini. The food was good there but the service was so horrible that I recommend you go elsewhere. My sister and her fiance also went to Le Pressoir and said it was the best meal they've ever had.

Ciao! Hope this info helped. :)

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank FutureMrsDoyle
Monmouth Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 April 2009

Hotel L’Esplanade is exactly what you see online and with Tripadvisor’s photos. My wife and I just got back from an excellent vacation to St. Martin. We were very pleased in picking the French side and loved the location of L’Esplanade. This is not a large hotel and do not expect much, no grounds, just a sharp looking hotel and its pool/pool bar. We are adventurist so we used the hotel for sleep and comfort. You can cook in the nicely stocked kitchen; they have large refrigerators and a nice balcony to dine. The staff was great, you must rent a car and I suggest renting a small one. Roads are tight and easier to park. I’m 6'4” and got into their smallest car. Use Hotel L’Esplanade for the car services, it’s easy and you’ll save money in the long run.

When arriving to St. Martin I was a little skeptical about this Island, boy was I wrong. It has its hard living ways and I thought it would be tough to explore. We got to the hotel and felt so comfortable, you can walk right down to restaurant row (which is not all that). I’m sure I missed a couple different restaurants that are hidden but the main ones were just okay. Maybe being from the tri-state area I’m spoiled but I’m not impressed by food that doesn’t deserve to be on a plate.

Here are my restaurant thoughts (best are last 4):
Lolos – If you’re not hungry, walk past the smell and it’s an instant hunger. Go for a nice BBQ lunch on the water side. I see a lot of people sitting on the street side but enjoy the breeze of the water. Very good BBQ and local food…as cheap as it gets.

La California – At the end of restaurant row…so far you think you’re too far down. Just okay, on the water and just had some appetizers. They were ruined with so much vinegar, to wet (Tuna Tartar and Beef Carpaccio)

Calmos Café – Nice on the beach setting, BBQ fare with plastic plates. Fun spot.

Fish Pot - Horrible…maybe best décor from the street BUT food came out wrong and just wasn’t worth it. Ordered escargot with the puff pastry, pastry never came out. Ordered lobster salad over mango. It was a half of lobster over big lettuce pieces with 8 julienne mango strips. I would have been fine with that if they mentioned it was a half of lobster.

Italian place in the middle – If you have that pasta craving, I had one.

L’Auberge Gourmande – This is the best place on restaurant row. Food and service was very good. Veal chop was excellent. You do get hit with the Euro here but worth it.

Mario’s (Marigot) – This is a must in St, Martin. Excellent food and excellent service. Hands down best meal on the island.

Baywatch (Orient Bay) – This shack is run by a NJ owner and NY wife. Get a clams casino and linguine white clam sauce and “faurgetaboutit”. What a great place for lunch but you know what, it’s a hidden secret for breakfast. No one on the beach, very relaxing and cool.

Please Tour the Island:
Garfield Fun Cat: This is a small, FUN, boat tour of the island. A day long trip that was nothing but great smiles and amazing memories. Snorkel in 3 different spots, go to small islands, go to the mud baths have FUN. Bruce and Lorna are the owners but Captain Steve is your typical local surfer tour guide.

Drive around: Go to Marigot, Drive to Phillipsburg; drive the circle for a day. See this island and its different towns.

Go to Orient Bay – Bikini Beach, sit and relax at this beach, it is active, has tons to do, walk around and even get naked (at the end). I didn’t get naked but the vibe of this beach was just fun and the water was amazing. You pay for chair and umbrella.

Go to Pinel Island – Drive to Cul de Sac, get on a ferry (5 minute drive), and get off on this small island where you can snorkel off to the left or walk out 50 yards of crystal clear water to the right. Get a chair and relax and look over the hills of St. Martin. This my friends is living a dream. Bring cash, not sure if they except credit cards and you must pay for chair and umbrella.

Go to St. Bart’s – You can fly out of Grand Case (we should have) or take the ferry out of Marigot (we did that). Leaves around 9:00 about 1 1/2 hours, we rented a car and just went. RENT A SMALL CAR. These roads are small and steep. Drive around to these spots: Nikki beach, get out and walk around. Saline beach, you must see it, maybe best beach in Caribbean, not to hang at just the walk and seen. You’ll see the airport, imagine flying into that. Shop in Gustavia BUT eat lunch at Carl Gustav hotel. Extremely nice place over looking Gustavia.

All in all they say St. Martin is the #1 revisited island in the Caribbean and I can see why. It’s not the nicest in looks but it has so much you can do (not enough time for St. Kitts or Anguilla). Hotel L’Esplande in my opinion is in the right spot. If you are into night life and casinos, stay on the Dutch side (seriously). I gave this hotel 4 stars because it’s really not a 5 star hotel. There were times and areas that we slacked (only one person working on 3 people while the phone was ringing, pool water was cold, pool bar had no music, beach towel (only one)was the size of my bathroom towel, ran out of coffee twice and had to ask for more) nothing big but not 5 stars. If you are deciding between this hotel and their sister hotel Le Petit Hotel choose this one. Has a pool and Grand Case beach is nothing great. I also have to say that we stayed in April when the rates dropped, I’m not sure if I was paying the high rates if I would have given this hotel 4 stars. For the price in April it is worth the 4 stars. Trust me, they’ll be busy for years to come, it’s very nice but not sure if it’s a $500 a night spot, I would than look into Hotel La Samanna or a private villa somewhere. I will be back to St. Martin and will be booking this hotel for its location, ambience, nice people and April prices.

Let me know if you have any questions about the hotel

Oh…one last thing…the walk to the hotel is as easy as it gets. You’ll be fine.

Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cincyreds1975
Rotterdam
Reviewed 25 March 2009

After staying in the Sonesta Maho for two weeks staying in L'esplanade is like coming home in your mansion after a weeks work on the factories conveyor belt.
It's the combination of the great location and the attentive staff that makes you feel home. The owners Marc and Kristin give this place a soul and that makes you feel that you are staying in a special place in the world. The poolbar is manned by two brothers Alan & Alex who provide nice conversations besides great cocktails.
I'm Dutch but I prefer the french side of st Martin over the Dutch anytime. The partylife is better on the Dutch side but the restaurants, clientele and security are better on the french side.

Tnx guys for having me ;)

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank jfm007
Mattapoisett, MA
Reviewed 25 March 2009

Inspired by the tripadvisor.com awards bestowed on this hotel, my husband and i booked our stay.....and will return again in the future. Rooms are beautiful - have a boat cabin feel (although much more spacious than a boat). Each room has a porch, looking out over grand case cove - great way to wake up. While Grand Case does have some small beaches, we rented a car (at the airport) and headed off for day adventures around the island rather than spending the day in grand case. Hotel is perfectly positioned for evening dinners - just a short stroll down to some amazing food and wine. Staff was VERY nice and helpful - little piece of paradise I can wait to revisit!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SoCoMass
Boston, MA
Reviewed 22 March 2009

Everything was perfect! On the hill above the rest. This was one of our best trips to St. Martin, and Hotel L'Esplanade is the perfect place to stay. The rooms are amazing with spectacular views, feather pillows and super comfy beds. I never slept better. The showers have wonderful pressure and ever detail has been addressed right down to the toiletries. It is like home away from home. We stocked up on food for the kitchen so we were able to make coffee, etc. in the morning. The kitchen is so well stocked you could cook dinner for a party of eight. The pool was perfect, clean and refreshing. The pool bar opened at 11:30 which was wonderful for lunch and a cold drink. I did yoga on my own pool side every morning enjoying a spectacular view of the ocean. Walking access to downtown Grand Case and all the great shopping and tasty restaurants is such a plus, the little path is quaint and lovely. Tuesday night was a blast when they have the downtown street festival, we walked down and made a night out of it with shopping and drinks. All and all I would highly recommend this hotel. You really get your money's worth. This hotel is run by a staff who really cares, every need, thought, or want was addressed. IT WAS A FABULOUS TRIP.

Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Belmond La Samanna
Belmond La Samanna
#1 of 1 in Terres Basses
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to Hotel L'Esplanade? Share your experiences!