“Do not hesitate -stay here!”
Review of Hotel L'Esplanade

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Case
Hotel L'Esplanade
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
A TripAdvisor Member
Midlothian, VA
Reviewed 23 January 2005

We stayed at L'Esplanade during Christmas week, when we split our stay between two hotels on the French side. The rooms are clean, spacious, and well-furnished, and the breakfast delivered to your door in the morning is a nice touch.

********************

Hi, my name is Pat, and I just logged on to the computer and saw my wife's partially written review above. I am now officially commandeering this review!

First, let me say that I am not somebody who fills out reviews of vacation destinations on the internet. I have digital cable and plenty of other things to occupy my time.

However, I feel compelled to break this trend by reviewing and heartily recommending L'Esplanade. In short, it is the best value that I have ever experienced in a hotel stay.

For backgroound, I (Pat) am a self admitted "travel snob". I love luxury, but I am short of the resources needed to travel in the style that I crave.

As I told my wife, L'Esplanade is now our personal Gold Standard for Carribean lodging. Yes, we could have spent more for a hotel that may have delivered 1% more (of what I'm not sure), but the utility/happiness to price ratio would have been way off.

Stay here, and you will not be disappointed. Or, don't stay here, and make it easier for the rest of us to get a reservation on our return vist.

Happy travelling!

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 13 January 2005

We stayed here Nov. 28 to Dec. 6 and it was a great time to be in Grand Case. Between seasons. No crowds. Goumet dining on Grand Case Blvd. that was just a walk down a foot path from the hotel. No having to park a car. Speaking of a car. We rented from Thrifty on line for $135 for the week. Can't beat that. We met folks that were dropping $20 for every cab ride.
The hotel is lovely and immaculate. The views from the balconies are marvelous. The staff is friendly. In fact...the whole island was friendly even though we had been told otherwise before we left. The hotel has a computer in the open air lobby for guests to check their e mail. Our only complaints....and regrettably it would keep us from returning...was that the bed was like a rock! We had to remove the fitted sheet and we put the spare blanket and the bedspread on top of the mattress, then we put the sheet back on, to make a cushion. After that it was bearable but still not great. Maybe it was just our room (#13 I think). And we aren't wimps. Our bed at home is firm. Also, there is a lighted magnifying mirror mounted on the wall in the bathroom about at hip height. I couldn't quite figure that out. But that was no big deal. Everything else about the place was great. Really great. Quiet. Private. Dining in St. Martin got very costly. The dollar is very weak. $1.86 to 1 Euro when we were there. Average modest dinner was over $100. No bottle of wine. Only a glass. Most restaurants will give you $1 for 1 Euro deal but only if you pay CASH. So bring CASH.
If I went back I would bring some food. The rooms have a nice kitchen. Then I'd go out every other night. You can get fresh coissants in the morning at the bakery on Grand Case Blvd. and make coffee in your room. Orient Beach is the best and it's just a short drive away. Park yourselves down the end where Baywatch is. Buy your lunch there. They have breakfast too. The beach in Grand Case is not great. If you like to collect shells, go to Simpson Bay on the Dutch side, park and walk up the little hill on the right side of the beach. You'll find the motherload of shells.

2  Thank tobywinter
Reviewed 3 January 2005

When my husband and I arrived on St. Martin in November we drove to Grand Case, enjoyed a beautiful sunset from our balcony at L'Esplanade, and then it rained straight for 3 days! Don't visit St.Martin in November! Overall we were impressed with the hotel-it is definitely the nicest hotel in Grand Case by far, but Grand Case got kind of old by the 2nd day, especially since it wasn't high tourist season and everything seemed kind of dead. It is not a beach town, in fact the beach that you have access to is very small. We rented a car one day looking for a picturesque beach, got a ton of recommendations from locals, drove the entire island and still couldn't find what we were looking for (just some chairs, an umbrella and food nearby.)

Since the hotel doesn't have a restaurant, we had to walk to town every day to eat our meals. That got old very quickly, especially in the rain. We found a teeny grocery store in town that had bare essentials so that we could eat breakfast in our room, but found it to be extremely expensive eating out in Grand Case twice a day. Excellent food, however...

If you are looking for a resort, this is not the place to stay. But if you want an incredibly lush, romantic, quiet, and friendly hotel, stay here. We loved the decor, the view from our balcony was priceless, and it was so peaceful and quiet around the hotel. The staff was very helpful and friendly as well. Even though it rained most of our time on St. Martin, we spent a lot of time at the pool and that was our favorite spot on the grounds.

7  Thank cibi2
Reviewed 30 December 2004

We just got back from a 7 night Stay at this great little find...We're extremely picky about where we stay and only settle on 5 star accomodations ..We were not dissappointed! We even checked out our other options including La Samanna , and were extremely happy with our choice.

Christine and her Husband ,who manage the Hotel showed a genuine concern for our well being.

Gal at the Pool was super cool, and helpful in letting us know various Spots to check out on the Island.

Unlike the visitor, from Mass, who left her comments on Dec. 19, we found this to be a great Hotel for the Kids. The Kids loved the Pool and the spacious living accomodations.She obviously doesn't have kids, and I can't quite remember any Hotel room with soundproof Walls.

Its a shame that anyone would have anything negative to say about this Hotel.

The location, nestled on top of a Mountain has a spectacular view, and the Location is steps from Grand Case 5 star Restaurants. We'll be back soon!

• Stayed: January 2005
6  Thank CanadaProud
Reviewed 29 December 2004

l'esplanade is a great hotel there is no word to describe this hotel
love the oversize loft (room 3) as a great views whit 2 balconies
over looking the sea the pool is great and the barman GAL is a great guy and guide he was very helpful and made great drinks.

the hotel is very private your all alone. we stayed there for 2 weeks
and rented a car for all our vacation .you really need a car, so you can see all the beautyfull beaches all around the island. we have travels alots an st-martin is on the top of the list now,the restaurant are all great in grand case an very friendly.

from montreal,quebec

#1 of 1 in Terres Basses
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel

Been to Hotel L'Esplanade? Share your experiences!