Hotel L'Esplanade
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Le Petit Hotel(Grand Case)
No availability for your dates from our partners
LOVE(Grand Case)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
Hotels.com
Privilege Resort(Anse Marcel)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrestaurant rowdeluxe loftpool barshort walkgrand case bayst martinwelcome basketorient beachfull kitchenhill overlookingour honeymoonsister hotelrental carbaguetteperfect hotelview from the balconyreception area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 November 2006

I booked the Hotel L'esplanade purely from the reviews on this site....and I was not disappointed. Known for being very fussy and liking my creature comforts from arrival to departure my every need was catered for.

The welcome at the reception desk was warm and efficient, with a promise to allow me early entry to my room ( I had requested this on booking). After a light lunch and chat with the barman, whose name I have forgotten, my room was ready. A shower later, and I went to get my bearings, not totally sure where the path through the gardens of the hotel would lead me after being told the shops and restaurants were in this direction. And sure enough when I got to the bottom onto the road, I could not see either of the aforementioned.!

However, after a short walk I found what I called 'The Strip', where I dined every morning, lunch and evening in a different restaurant! My favourites were the breakfast bar next to the newsagents, where Cedric (the Saxon) looked after me, Le Tastevin - the Dover Sole was superb, L'escapade - delicately flavoured soups, and the Fishpot. Every Tuesday evening they have a street party, with local dancers and music, very entertaining and a great opportunity to mix with the locals. Most of the boutiques open in the evening - a lot more comfortable shopping when its cooler!

I hired a car from Martine at Alizes Car Rental, booked online and she met me at the airport and gave very good directions to the hotel. I run my own car hire company in Barbados [-] and was very impressed with the service, I would more than recommend Alizes.

I went to the Dutch side only once, it was a Sunday and the boating regatta was on so it was lovely to admire the wonderful yachts without the hustle and bustle of the duty free town centre. I also took a trip to St Barts, which is a must as you are so close, although you really only need a few hours it is so small. I did an island tour, and was able to get the return speedboat back to St Maarten at 2pm, I think I would have been bored having to wait for the 4pm boat.

So....would I return, yes and stay at the same hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all at Hotel L'Esplanade for providing a beautiful place to stay with very attentive staff who naturally give you a personal service.

14  Thank Moneypenny007
Reviewed 29 October 2006

If you are looking for an upretentious, quaint getaway, this place is for you. Overlooking the gorgeous Grand Case Bay, this hotel offers amazing views of sunsets, town lights and sailboats. Kick back in a beautifully furnished room, or step out on a lush and private terrace to hear the island sounds. The hotel is within walking distance to great food, beaches and shopping. They also have an amazing pool that is perfect for relaxation. Whether you stay in, or go out into town, a great experience awaits you here. The staff sincerely cares about your comforts, and has considered every possible solution to make your stay unforgetable. Just when you think it cannot get any better, it does. This was our fourth visit to the hotel, and it was more comfortable, beautiful, fragrant and romantic than ever before.

• Stayed: October 2006
12  Thank kruvo
Reviewed 1 October 2006

My husband and I booked this trip at the last minute so I was nervous about where we'd be staying. We were pleasantly surprised. The staff is remarkable. They answered every question I had before we arrived, had the driver at the airport waiting to take us to our hotel, as they promised, and booked all of our excursions properly. I honestly can't think of one thing to complain about. The room was large, with a kitchen and living room area. There were lots of restaurants in the area and a grocery store. The island was beautiful. We rented a car to visit other parts of the island and see where the locals live. The horseback ride over at Orient Bay was lots of fun. We also visited Anguilla and St. Barts which were also fabulous (I'd suggest visiting both if you have the time). It's time to start planning next year's trip and I think we'll be headed back to St. Martin (the first time we've ever been impressed enough to revisit a destination). We were considering trying a new place, but based on reviews I've read about other hotels in St. Martin, I'd definitely stick with with L'Esplanade.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
11  Thank 58sgirl
Reviewed 21 September 2006

No doubt this is one of the best hotels in the carribean! The staff is almost non existent, however you do not need for anything. The rooms are beautiful and spacious, with private balconies. Views overlook Grand Case Harbour. Some of the best dining in the carribean is a five minute walk with food prepared by young and inspired chefs from France. The hotel has a swim up bar. Incredibly low key. This is a great escape for a couple, or traveling with small children. Rent a car from Alan, the bar tender. He will come and pick you up at the airport. You'll want a car to explore the beaches. Don't foget - this place will make you fall in love again!

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled as a couple
7  Thank PhillySPGGuy
Reviewed 19 August 2006

This is the place that you come to as a home away from home. The staff is exceptional. The elegance of the rooms and the manicured grounds are second to none. We have stayed at high end resorts in Saint Martin, however L'Esplanade is in a class of its own. The hotel is kept to American standards of cleanliness and comfort. The resident managers Kristin and Marc are extremely friendly and attentive. L'Esplanade is truly on the hill above the rest. Also well recommended and provided through the hotel is Justice Car rentals, priced right and good service.

17  Thank mrlgi