“Amazing hotel with the most responsive staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel L'Esplanade

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Case
Hotel L'Esplanade
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Altadena, California
“Amazing hotel with the most responsive staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2011

Besides being an incredibly beautiful hotel, with wonderful amenities, an amazing view and a gorgeous room they are also the most responsive people I have ever dealt with. I left my camera in the room and realized it at the hotel. It was very early in the morning and I knew the desk wouldn't be open yet, so I sent an email. By the time I arrived at my layover destination they had already responded that they found it & would ship it. And by the time I got home (the next day) it had arrived! I will never forget such a kindness and responsiveness, and would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone. And I can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NatAtHome

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Dallas,TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2011

St. Maarten is a difficult place to describe. If you have been to a few islands, you will find it a little disappointing in my opinion. It is tiny, it is difficult to get around, there are two distinct cultures to understand, it's a little run down, and not well planned in terms of development. Having said that, if you are going, this hotel will make your trip, whether you realize it or not. It is the BEST situated to get to extremely fine dining, which is a short walk down a quaint hill. (You don't want to drive much if you don't have to.) If you like crowded, large hotels, with staff running all over, it's not for you. If you want to eat in a hotel restaurant (why anyone would do that in a place most famous for it's restaurants I'm not sure) ,it's not for you. If your idea of paradise is a beautifully landscaped property that suits and exceeds it's surroundings, a quiet place where some one will come running at the first phone call; a place where you can meet and talk to the owners, and a "zen" or spa like room, with a private balcony overlooking a beautiful hill and out to sea, you will be thrilled. If you want to walk less then 10 minutes to great diving (Octopus Diving), too many restaurants to count & a lovely little beach, you will be thrilled. If you want to lay at the most lovely pool (think private estate, not Brand X hotel with throngs of people) you will be charmed.

We have been coming here for years, after having put up with the crowds of tourists and condo owners/renters filing in and out of larger properties, it makes it seem like we are at home. Actually more like I wish my home were!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LynnC1Dallas_TX
Sint Maarten
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2011

Overall a fantastic place. Lovely staff. Fabulous views. Ultra relaxing. Definitely worth it all!

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank BrijanSXM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2011

That is and will always have a special place in our lives close by to grand case walking distance and helpfull staff very clean rooms my choice to stay

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank 1scubasteve
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2011

Very beautiful experience. Quiet surroundings, very clean. Staff was superb, and very helpful. So nice to be able to walk to everywhere and not have to hassle with a car or parking!
The suit was delightful and the pool area was very tropical feeling.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stellacrispino
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2011

We took a preholiday time vacation here in Mid December. Before we left at the end of the week we already knew this would be a hotel we would retun to many times. The room was beautiful, the views incredible, watching sunsets from our private balcony. It is a peaceful hotel, unobstrusive but elegant.
From our hotel, we walked each day and night to the most wonderful restaurants and the local beach. An easy walk. Grand Case is a town where real people live and work , so don't expect a gated all inclusive tourist paradise.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RCH81
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2011

I first visited St. Martin and stayed at L'Esplanade for my birthday in November 2007. My initial review after that trip is here, http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147351-d151157-r11324981-Hotel_L_Esplanade-Grand_Case_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html. I decided to add another review because I've since returned to St. Martin 7 times and stayed at L'Esplanade 6 of those times. The only time I did not stay at L'Esplanade was during my most recent trip when I was traveling with a large group of people and we decided to rent a villa near the Dutch border. The villa was spectacular but I found myself missing the friendliness, service, and convenience of being at L'Esplanade. L'Esplanade is an absolutely beautiful hotel with the best staff on the planet. It's one of those rare places where you look at the photos on the website and the place lives up to those expectations. I've stayed in every type of room in the hotel and they are all spectacular; I favor the one-bedroom suites because they feel like someplace I could permanently live in. The pool area is great for those days when you don't want to go to the beach. Alain, the bartender makes the best drinks around and his Mom does wonders with seafood on the grill; they are also two of the nicest people you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting. It really does feel like you're hanging out with friends being at L'Esplanade.

Although the hotel is not directly on the beach, it is incredibly easy to either walk or drive to one. I always rent a car through the hotel which includes pick up and drop off at the airport. My favorite beach is Pinel Island. The water is amazing and the 3 restaurants on the island are all very good with my favorite being Karibuni. I tend to catch an early ferry to Pinel and just spend the entire day lazing away under an umbrella. The ferry to Pinel is about a 5 minute drive from the property and costs $7 per person roundtrip.

The restaurants in Grand Case are to die for. If you love French food, Le Pressoir, Le Cottage, Bistro Caraibes, and L'Auberge Gourmande will satisfy. Spiga, which is the closest restaurant to L'Esplanade has unbelievable Italian food. For more low-key dining I would recommend Calmos Cafe - you can't beat a place on the water where the floor is beach sand. A new restaurant/club, Le Shore, popped up since my first visit. This place is very Miami-ish, and fills the need for late night partying without leaving Grand Case. It's actually a really comfortable place to have a few drinks, listen to music, and look out at Anguilla at night.

I can't say enough good things about L'Esplanade. I've stayed at many hotels in the Caribbean and it rivals the best of them in every aspect including the friendly staff, cleanliness of the property, and professionalism of the management. If I would add anything to the property it would be an elliptical machine in the pool area to work off those French dinners. I look forward to my next trip to St. Martin and returning to my home away from home, L'Esplanade.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,180 reviews

Been to Hotel L'Esplanade? Share your experiences!