“Focused Menu with a Dreamlike Setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Shambala

Le Shambala
Ranked #10 of 67 Restaurants in Grand Case
Price range: US$33 - US$76
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, View, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Drinks, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A magical setting for a new restaurant Le Shambala located on Grand Case Beach. Fine dining, with a wide selection of quality fish, lobster & meats. Only fresh food of the highest quality strictly selected and cooked with a fusion of European and Carribean flavours by a French Antillean Chef .According to the market, the chief may change some dishes.Le Shambala offers one of the most spectacular sunsets of the island.We invite you to join us for sunset cocktails and fine dining on the Carribean Sea.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Focused Menu with a Dreamlike Setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I went with my boyfriend during low season and we had the place to ourselves aside from an elderly Frenchman beavering away on his laptop.

The well appointed dining area and the terrace that abuts the beach is probably the most beautiful and dreamy setting in Grand Case and maybe all of St. Martin--and yes, I've been to La Samanna. It's romantic and yet hip; Caribbean rustic and yet modern. It's clear a lot of thought went into this lay out.

Our waiter, Fabrice (from Toulouse), was a delight.

Now, the food...

We had the morels ravioli with the truffle emulsion for an appetizer. It was very refined and amaze-balls. My boyfriend wanted to order a second one but realized he would have been a total embarrassment. For the main, we had the Pot au Fer; a traditional beef stew. Not exactly a choice that suits the Caribbean but very French and also well done. Especially liked the fat and tender leeks and the delicious bone marrow.

Didn't have the intestinal fortitude for dessert--too full. We will go back to sample the Baba rhum (which every restaurant on the island has) as well as the Mango Miroir.

A few additional comments:

--this is a newish addition to Grand Case and has been only been here for a year. I don't think it is all that well known.

--the wine list is not extensive but it runs the gamut in price. You can get an inexpensive bottle from a traditional French terroir or a first growth grand cru for 4000 euros.

--can't say enough about the atmosphere. If you aren't adventurous enough to eat here, you really should come here for cocktails or champy with your honey or your friends.

--it is expensive but every place on the beach in Grand Case has prices like this.

--if it's busy, ask for Fabrice.

We will go back. And likely on this same trip.

Visited June 2014

Bel Air, Maryland
“A Perfect Evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

This restaurant could not have been better. The view was awesome overlooking the sunset on the Caribbean. The food was excellent, The service was also great. Our waiter was French but spoke English and explained each of the dishes with such enthusiasm that it was hard to pick just one. It was a evening befitting the restaurants name.

• Visited June 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Cannot beat the view!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

You just cannot beat the view. I went for dinner with some friends and we were seated in the general dining area but at the edge of it so we could clearly see the water and everything else. So the ambiance is perfect for any outing.

The service was wonderful. Our waiter spoke English and French so we had no problems communicating and he was very knowledgeable about the menu. The restaurant was very accomodating of my vegetarian friend an altered a risotto dish to not only exclude the meat but to include her favorite veggies. And this is petty and certainly not a showstopper but our waiter told her that she should be sure to thank the chef for making her the special dish. That is an appropriate gesture but I think he overstepped his bounds by telling her to do so as though the chef did her a favor for free. But i understand.

I ordered the Lobster Fricasse. There weren't many vegetables in it but it was very flavorful and we had plenty of bread to get full off of. My vegetarian friend looooved her risotto! It's probably the best risotto I've ever had. Very creamy.

My other friend ordered the Coq au vin. I've never had it before so I'm unsure as to what it's supposed to taste like but it had a sort of tart aftertaste or something that I didn't quite like. But the chicken was cooked well.

I actually forget the name of the dessert I ordered but it was a pineapple puree in between two crackers with some fruit on the side (much more sophisticated than my description) and it was yummy.

Aside from the risotto, the food was nothing to write home about but the view is worth every penny.

• Visited May 2014
São Paulo, SP
“fine french restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We dinned at this restaurant and service and food was awesome. We ordered the french special of the day, which was a very tasty Coq au vin. The restaurant has an amazing view, they recommend to get there at dawn to watch the sunset, which we missed unfortunately. It is not a cheap restaurant, but give it a try if you can.

Visited May 2014
Columbus, Ohio
“Gorgeous view, great service, food good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is the most beautiful of the 6 restaurants we ate at in Grand Case. The view is spectacular. The service is great. Food was good, but not particularly memorable (I am reviewing this one week later and don't recall any of what we had).

• Visited May 2014