“Want to take your own desktop wallpaper island photo?”
Review of Buck Island

More attraction details
Owner description: Novice snorkelers will appreciate the coral grottoes along Buck Island’s underwater trail.
Cleveland, Ohio
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Want to take your own desktop wallpaper island photo?”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

While in St. Croix, my mom and I sailed aboard the Teroro II, with Buck Island Charters. You might want to consider taking along a water proof camera, as the water is unbelievably clear light blue. Since this is an underground national park, while snorkeling you will see signs every so often on the bottom of the ocean. These signs contain a drawing of a fish and information about it. Note that if you are near sided and have contacts, wear them on this snorkel trip so the signs can be read. IN addition, learn from my mistake and spray sun screen on the backs and insides of your arms as well as even the back of your calves and ankles. I forgot that I would be face down for quite some time and I paid the price for days afterwards. Also, take Captain Carl up on his offer to jump off the side of the boat and snorkel the 20-30 minutes to the beach. I felt like I was in the movie 'Open Water' as the boat sailed away, but it was worth it. You can pack a lunch and eat it on the beach. In addition, Captain Carl brought along ice cold soda and water that you could purchase for $1.

Visited July 2012

colorado
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Big Beards Adventure Tours”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Please look into Big Beards Adventure Tours for a fantastic day of snorkeling and fun. Our trip out of St. Croix took us to a spectacular little island.. Buck Island. If you have ever had a fantasy of becoming shipwrecked this is the island of your dreams! The water is the most vivid turquoise I have ever seen. It truly takes you breath away. Our crew sailed up to the shore and we were able to spend a good 1/2 hour on this deserted island with golden sand between our toes and clear blue water. Then we sailed to the other side to explore one of the best and most interesting underwater coral trails I have seen to date. Not the best place to see really exciting fish although we did see some schools. It's really the coral that stands out in this well preserved park. After our snorkel excursion we sailed to another beach for a BBQ and island spirits. I'm speaking of Rum Punch of course after all we are in the Caribbean! This is one of the most enjoyable excursions I have taken. I definitely feel that I got my moneys worth. The crew was great and took great care of us. I would use them again.

Visited April 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Breathtaking, truely a beautiful place, must see!”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

My husband and I used Captain Carl at the Tamarind. We had such a great time. I was so happy we used them instead of the more "commercial tours". We felt like we were out with friends, and Paul took us for an amazing snorkel tour. This place is so beautiful, and you get to explore on your own. We had two hours to do whatever we wanted! We hiked up the top, bring water if you can! The island is very hot and by the end of the hike we took a dip in the beautiful crystal clear waters! Well worth the hike! Just bring sunscreen and water!

Visited May 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Underwater National Park off St. Croix”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

There is a wonderful underwater national park off Buck Island that makes for a nice snorkelling day trip if you are visiting St. Croix. A guide will take you out on a boat and guide you through the underwater trail. A really nice experience, even for beginners as long as you know how to swim.

Visited March 2012
Aurora, Colorado
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Beautiful boat ride and snorkeling”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Snorkeling by Buck Island is a nice treat. The coral reef and trail is quite unique and enjoyable. Not too crowded and not too long of a boat ride to the site. A bit small of a spot but plenty of time to snorkel and enjoy the scenery on the boat ride. Some of the boats had mechanical trouble but it didn't look like it was long for a resuce/repair boat was on its way to those folks. Our fortunately didn't have any issues. The restroom aboard was nothing more than a closet hole! So amenities aboard aren't great but then again that isn't what we were going there for. We enjoyed the island and coral reef. It has been kept very pristine and true to the National Park Service to preserve it all for future generations.

Visited April 2011