“Go with Captain Heinz”
Review of Buck Island

More attraction details
Owner description: Novice snorkelers will appreciate the coral grottoes along Buck Island’s underwater trail.
Baltimore, Maryland
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Go with Captain Heinz”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We had about 12 people on Captain Heinz's trimaran. We sailed all the way to Buck island and there is no noise of the engine. Captain Heinz is a very handsome guy with great skill and personality. He will entertain you with many tales of the sea. The trip lasts from 9am to 2pm. We got to snorkel at the reef area and saw lots of colorful fish, then landed on the island for another hour of walking around on beautiful white sand and more snorkeling. While we were on the island, I saw the Big Beards' boat and was very happy that I chose Captain Heinz. Big Beards' boat is crowded with cruise people (roughly 30 people I think), and they use motor engine.

Visited January 2013

Sandy, Utah, United States
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Snorkeling off Buck Island with Green Sea Turtles on The Cat”
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We took a short 30 minute catamaran ride to Buck Island with my 3 boys; 13, 11 and 6 to snorkel with "Crush" Green Sea Turtles!! My boys were hesitant at first but it was amazing!! The guide from The Cat dove down and got several sea creatures for them to hold... Sea Urchin, Conch, and Star Fish they loved it!! We saw tons of beautiful fish and sea turtles, it was so worth the trip and they all want to go back!! Make sure to take along a waterproof camera!!

Visited September 2012
3 Thank momof3busyboys
Washington, DC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Big Beards Adventure Tour to Buck Island”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Fantastic trip. A must to if visiting St. Croix. The crew was very attentive, comptent and efficient. When arriving on the island we were given a brief snorkling lesson so everyone could get comfortable in the water with their gear. We then went to the east side of the island to snorkel through the barrier reef. It was incredible. I highly recommend!

Visited August 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
“buck island with capt heinz”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Buck Island is a must when visiting St Croix. Another must is booking your trip with Capt Heinz and his first mate Paul. This was the best part of our trip. He has a wonderful catamaran that holds only 20 people and the day we went there was only 11 of us, which made is seem more like our own private charter. We got to sit on the hammocks at the front of the boat while skimming across that beautiful clear blue water. These guys are great, very knowledgeable and island laid back. Capt Heinz also has a great accent to boot. There fee was less than 2 nights worth of dinner for four and it included the magnificent sail, snorkeling (with gear) and anchoring at Turtle Beach!!!!! You can find him in any brochure on the island or look him up under his name. Thanks guys for a memorable time ...the campers

Visited August 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Want to take your own desktop wallpaper island photo?”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

While in St. Croix, my mom and I sailed aboard the Teroro II, with Buck Island Charters. You might want to consider taking along a water proof camera, as the water is unbelievably clear light blue. Since this is an underground national park, while snorkeling you will see signs every so often on the bottom of the ocean. These signs contain a drawing of a fish and information about it. Note that if you are near sided and have contacts, wear them on this snorkel trip so the signs can be read. IN addition, learn from my mistake and spray sun screen on the backs and insides of your arms as well as even the back of your calves and ankles. I forgot that I would be face down for quite some time and I paid the price for days afterwards. Also, take Captain Carl up on his offer to jump off the side of the boat and snorkel the 20-30 minutes to the beach. I felt like I was in the movie 'Open Water' as the boat sailed away, but it was worth it. You can pack a lunch and eat it on the beach. In addition, Captain Carl brought along ice cold soda and water that you could purchase for $1.

Visited July 2012