“Beautiful views, stunning location, not well loved house!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tortola
Sugar Apple and Sugar Plum Houses
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My family and I stayed at Sugar Plum recently. It had an amazing location, above Apple bay in Tortola. The pics do it justice, with a huge sweeping view, hearing the waves and feeling a nice breeze. The beds were very comfortable, and the rooms had air conditioning. The showers were great, with very hot water. It had a mostly working kitchen. It was comfortable in some ways. On first examination it is impressive.It though had a few issues. We felt that for the money, it could have had a few more immunities, especially cleanliness. We have stayed at quite a few houses and villas in the Carribean, and it seems like for a little bit of effort, a nice place can be made even nicer. If I was having people rent my house, it would have been cleaner. The fans were filthy, as was the entryways. Also generally a dusty place. The coffee maker had petrified coffee left in the filter from a previous renter. And the coffee maker did not work, We asked for another and had to go through 2 altogether till we had a working coffee maker.The owners did respond to us. That was good. The screens also had huge gaps in them, at least in one room, not allowing one to keep the door open and hear the waves at night, without getting bitten by bugs. So, it was things like that...windows propped up by knives, slamming doors, because the springs did not work correctly.For us these small things added up. Missing lightbulbs, which did get attended to.Thin blankets. Being told it was the custom in Tortola for renters to buy more toilet paper when we ran out....though they did kindly give us more when we asked.In fairness the owners did respond to somethings.

The other big issue , was that the driveway was unbelievably steep and treacherous. Maybe people just know that about Tortola. I wished I had. It would not have stopped me from renting but.....

I in generally did not find the BVI's to be very service oriented compared to other islands. That is fine. Though the house has a lot of charm and a stunning view, the small issues, added up for us to just not have as relaxing a time as we could have. In retrospect, we could have asked for these things to be improved while we were there, but it gets tiring to do that. I think I will next time I rent though. We rented through VRBO, not Trip Advisor. I am posting here, because I know VRBO owner's will take down bad posts.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family