“K & C”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
Atlanta, GA
“K & C”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

My wife and I decided to take a tropical Christmas this year and chose the Sugar Mill as our place to stay. We had stayed there once before and it was even more amazing during Christmas-time. The staff were wonderful, attentive, and kind. They helped us book activities during the day and provided a delicious dinner every night. We enjoyed breakfast at the hotel and would sit overlooking the beach (we enjoyed watching pelicans diving for fish in the ocean!) This is a relaxing, beautiful boutique hotel. I really enjoy the smaller size hotel because the pool, beach & restaurants were never crowded. We will certainly be returning to the Sugar Mill. The hotel is close to the ferry for customs, restaurants, beautiful beaches, and marinas for day sails, yet far enough away to be able to relax in quite.

Room Tip: We have stayed in the Cottage and a Pool Suite. The cottage is roomier but the pool suite has a bet...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KirkandChristina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

I just spent 3 nights at this smal, peacefull hotel last week. I had a package deal that included 3 nights in a Plantation House suite, one dinner, 2 days SUV rental, and a Dolphin swim at Dolphin Discovery. I was pleasantly surprised by the room and absolutely loved it. There were lots of windows with amazing ocean views and I opened every window to take in the fresh air. There were french doors opening up to a balcony overlooking the beach just across the street. The balcony had a hammock and a small table and chairs. The sounds of the waves crashing ashore were heavenly all day and night. The room was appointed with a table and chairs, comfortable wicker furniture, a kitchenette, and peaked West Indian style wood ceilings with fans. The bath towels and beach towels were very plush and housekeeping provided plenty of them. There was plenty of hot water for long showers (something that can be scarce even at the nicest resorts in the Caribbean) but the shower head needs an upgrade to something better. The entire hotel property is beautiful and is extremely quiet and relaxing. The one thing that surprised me was the plastic chairs and low quality outdoor furniture that surrounds the pool area and beach. The hotel could make the pool area much more enjoyable with an upgrade to teak chaise lounges or even the imitation wicker ones that are available these days. Not only would this add comfort, it would add to the atmosphere! I found the plastic chair to be tacky. The Sugar Mill restaurant has excellent dinner food at reasonable prices all set amid a romantic atmosphere of a historic sugar mill ruin. However, I was disappointed with the breakfast food. They served a low quality brand of yougurt loaded with sugar and the bread that they served for toast was almost not edible for someone who likes to eat healthy. They need to switch to a nice, mulitgrain bread and a better, healthier brand of yogurt. The beach is small but nice and they maintain it well - the sand was raked and very clean. There is a lunch restaurant on the beach. Within a few minutes drive of the hotel you can visit Cane Bay beach - beautiful with restaurants and shops. Brewers Bay was beautiful too and more peaceful and natural as is Smuggler's Cove, all within a close and scenic drive. All in all this is a wonderful property but I feel it is important to mention there was one negative experience during my stay. I had specifically stated I wanted a 3 day Jeep Wrangler rental when making my reservation with Amanda via telephone. She later sent me an email confirmation listing the details of my package along with the price. Her confirmation email stated that my package would include a 3 day Jeep rental. Upon arrival i was told the package only included a 2 day rental and even worse, the hotel did not communicate to Dollar rental car my specific request for a Jeep Wrangler and I was given a small Japanese SUV that is not sold in the US. When I inquired about this, the Dollar rental agent said they do have Wranglers but that the hotel did not request it. My biggest complaint is the way that I was treated by Hillary who works in the front office. When I tried to show her my printout of the email confirmation stating I was to receive a 3 day Jeep rental, she was very condescending and unfriendly and she brushed it off and said that Amanda had made an error and that it was just miscommunication. Her attitude made me feel very unwelcome at the hotel and this happened on my first morning there. I was shocked at the way the hotel handled this and it was not up to the level of service you would expect at a hotel of this caliber. I have worked in sales and service for over 15 years and trust me, this was poorly handled. By no means did this ruin my stay but it is worth mentioning. This was my first visit to Tortola and I loved the island. I have spent a lot of time in nearby St John and St Thomas. The locals in Tortola are very welcoming and friendly unlike in St Thomas.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank hobiecatsailor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

The Sugar Mill on Tortola is a beautiful, quiet island getaway. The staff was very friendly, kind, and helpful. The menu changed daily for dinner making it so easy to eat at the resort all three nights I was there. It is a great place to just relax or to use as a base for exploring the island's sandy beaches or snorkel and surf spots.

Room Tip: Many have balconies or patios with hammocks, chairs, and ocean views. It was so nice to sleep with t...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank OceanPure
Denver, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

We stayed in room #146 and it was a beautiful and clean room with a ocean front/view. The staff was very friendly and helped make my birthday celebration special. From driving around the island, Sugar Mill definitely looked like the best place to be with a great central (but away from the craziness of Road Town). Only downside is the cruise bus traffic for their excursion for the Beach at Mylette's. Nice private beach with awesome waves! Would definitely come back!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth P
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

Sugar Mill is beautiful and the staff are overall wonderful. We arrived late with two children in tow and they were kind enough to have food made and delivered to our room. The weather the week we went was poor, but no one controls that! When we had breaks in the weather we enjoyed the small beach, and the beach bar that is part of the Sugar Mill. They make some of the best food at the Sugar Mill restaurant as well as the beach bar. The location and history of the hotel is something to behoid, dinner is a must here, as is the curried fried fish at the beach bar.
One of the only reasons I am not giving this 5 stars is because the interiors of the rooms need massive updating, don't get me wrong, everything is working and clean, just old. We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite which had a nice balcony and hammock. The mosquitos are murder so prepare and listen to the natives when it comes to using Skin-Soft as a repellant. Overall enjoyable but not my favorite.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank dharmadc
Long Beach, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

This small and intimate boutique hotel provided a marvelous vacation destination where exciting and interesting side trips are plentiful and varied. The gardens and foliage were simply beautiful.The staff and service were impecable. The staff almost anticipated our queries and were so responsive that it made us feel quite at home. The restaurant was delightful and the menus and service were top notch. This was one of our only vacations when doing absolutely nothing was both relaxing and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Room 144 Plantation was great. A twenty foot patio with total privacy; the sound of the surf lapping...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Steven B
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

An experience that can only be created by many years of dedicated excellence.
A very well maintained property with multiple buildings spead across a lush campus. Ample parking and plenty of hills to climb ... so mobility challenged guests may do well to book elsewhere.
We found the cuisine to be the best we experienced in two weeks on four Virgin Islands. Prices were very reasonable compared to other island restaurants. Breakfast on the terrace offered some interesting alternatives; but, as is often the case, might justify some daily tweaking. Lunch at the waterside restaurant was a treat with a good mix of offerings and waves breaking a few feet away. Service was exceptionally friendly.
Dinner in the main dining room was always a gratifying occasion. A comfortable selection of entre's changed nightly. Food was tastefully presented at proper temperature and of superior quality. Sauces were extraordinary and worthy of the finest of kitchens. Extensive wine list.
Notwithstanding the tidy rooms, location and superior dining, the one trait that sets the Sugar Mill above all others is the superb staff. Absolutely every member of the staff was gracious and accomodating. Each request received a prompt and warm response.
Many hotels can offer great views and immaculate facilities. But smaller properties such as this depend on repeat guests to keep the doors open. To do so, they must offer somerthing found no where else. At the Sugar Mill that something else is the highly trained and gracious family of employees. We look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Plantation rooms seem to have best views
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank CudBeWors
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tortola
Sebastian's on the Beach
Peter Island Resort and Spa
Peter Island Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Peter Island
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Sugar Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!