“Beautiful spot with great staff and food”
Review of Sugar Mill Hotel

Sugar Mill Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
Stonington, Connecticut
“Beautiful spot with great staff and food”
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Stayed for three days, along with with another family. In all, five teenage boys and four adults. Stayed in the Plantation House and Deluxe Villa. Both were very nice. Views from the Plantation House are a little nicer, but great from either. Nice to fall asleep to the sound of surf. Beautiful location, with unobstructed views of Jost Van Dyke from the well maintained beach. Small swim area, with ok snorkeling across the reef; some tarpon and lots of pelicans at dusk. Staff was friendly and helped us with transportation, etc. Meals at the Sugar Mill Restaurant were exceptional, but service was a bit slow. Very good breakfast on the patio overlooking the beach. The beachside lunch spot has a gorgeous view which, when combined with a drink, made up for the slow service. Families seem welcome and the five boys were kept busy. Two of our guys surfed, and they found inexpensive board rentals about one mile away, just past Bomba's at Sebastion's, and surfed Cappoons Bay. Nice walki along the beachside road.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sdtraveltime10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
dublin
Reviewed 4 January 2012

What a gem of a place for a secluded break, The hotel is so cute!

We stayed in a studio which had amazing sea views and a super large veranda which we never left. The hotel staff were the most polite people I met on the island and went out of there way to assist us in renting a car and getting taxis.

The rooms are very Caribbean beach themed with lots of pastel colours and white cane furniture. The main hotel building is open air and has a variety of levels upon which to enjoy a drink or dinner. Unfortunately we were not impressed with the food in either the beach restaurant or the main restaurant. The food in the restaurant was pretensious and not good.

The hotel is situated beside a beautiful stretch of beach with typical carribean crystal clear water. I would highly recommend this for those wanting a romantic secluded break.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank jnwln
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 31 December 2011

My wife and I decided to take a tropical Christmas this year and chose the Sugar Mill as our place to stay. We had stayed there once before and it was even more amazing during Christmas-time. The staff were wonderful, attentive, and kind. They helped us book activities during the day and provided a delicious dinner every night. We enjoyed breakfast at the hotel and would sit overlooking the beach (we enjoyed watching pelicans diving for fish in the ocean!) This is a relaxing, beautiful boutique hotel. I really enjoy the smaller size hotel because the pool, beach & restaurants were never crowded. We will certainly be returning to the Sugar Mill. The hotel is close to the ferry for customs, restaurants, beautiful beaches, and marinas for day sails, yet far enough away to be able to relax in quite.

Room Tip: We have stayed in the Cottage and a Pool Suite. The cottage is roomier but the pool suite has a bet...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KirkandChristina
michigan
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I just spent 3 nights at this smal, peacefull hotel last week. I had a package deal that included 3 nights in a Plantation House suite, one dinner, 2 days SUV rental, and a Dolphin swim at Dolphin Discovery. I was pleasantly surprised by the room and absolutely loved it. There were lots of windows with amazing ocean views and I opened every window to take in the fresh air. There were french doors opening up to a balcony overlooking the beach just across the street. The balcony had a hammock and a small table and chairs. The sounds of the waves crashing ashore were heavenly all day and night. The room was appointed with a table and chairs, comfortable wicker furniture, a kitchenette, and peaked West Indian style wood ceilings with fans. The bath towels and beach towels were very plush and housekeeping provided plenty of them. There was plenty of hot water for long showers (something that can be scarce even at the nicest resorts in the Caribbean) but the shower head needs an upgrade to something better. The entire hotel property is beautiful and is extremely quiet and relaxing. The one thing that surprised me was the plastic chairs and low quality outdoor furniture that surrounds the pool area and beach. The hotel could make the pool area much more enjoyable with an upgrade to teak chaise lounges or even the imitation wicker ones that are available these days. Not only would this add comfort, it would add to the atmosphere! I found the plastic chair to be tacky. The Sugar Mill restaurant has excellent dinner food at reasonable prices all set amid a romantic atmosphere of a historic sugar mill ruin. However, I was disappointed with the breakfast food. They served a low quality brand of yougurt loaded with sugar and the bread that they served for toast was almost not edible for someone who likes to eat healthy. They need to switch to a nice, mulitgrain bread and a better, healthier brand of yogurt. The beach is small but nice and they maintain it well - the sand was raked and very clean. There is a lunch restaurant on the beach. Within a few minutes drive of the hotel you can visit Cane Bay beach - beautiful with restaurants and shops. Brewers Bay was beautiful too and more peaceful and natural as is Smuggler's Cove, all within a close and scenic drive. All in all this is a wonderful property but I feel it is important to mention there was one negative experience during my stay. I had specifically stated I wanted a 3 day Jeep Wrangler rental when making my reservation with Amanda via telephone. She later sent me an email confirmation listing the details of my package along with the price. Her confirmation email stated that my package would include a 3 day Jeep rental. Upon arrival i was told the package only included a 2 day rental and even worse, the hotel did not communicate to Dollar rental car my specific request for a Jeep Wrangler and I was given a small Japanese SUV that is not sold in the US. When I inquired about this, the Dollar rental agent said they do have Wranglers but that the hotel did not request it. My biggest complaint is the way that I was treated by Hillary who works in the front office. When I tried to show her my printout of the email confirmation stating I was to receive a 3 day Jeep rental, she was very condescending and unfriendly and she brushed it off and said that Amanda had made an error and that it was just miscommunication. Her attitude made me feel very unwelcome at the hotel and this happened on my first morning there. I was shocked at the way the hotel handled this and it was not up to the level of service you would expect at a hotel of this caliber. I have worked in sales and service for over 15 years and trust me, this was poorly handled. By no means did this ruin my stay but it is worth mentioning. This was my first visit to Tortola and I loved the island. I have spent a lot of time in nearby St John and St Thomas. The locals in Tortola are very welcoming and friendly unlike in St Thomas.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank hobiecatsailor
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The Sugar Mill on Tortola is a beautiful, quiet island getaway. The staff was very friendly, kind, and helpful. The menu changed daily for dinner making it so easy to eat at the resort all three nights I was there. It is a great place to just relax or to use as a base for exploring the island's sandy beaches or snorkel and surf spots.

Room Tip: Many have balconies or patios with hammocks, chairs, and ocean views. It was so nice to sleep with t...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank OceanPure
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 24 December 2011

We stayed in room #146 and it was a beautiful and clean room with a ocean front/view. The staff was very friendly and helped make my birthday celebration special. From driving around the island, Sugar Mill definitely looked like the best place to be with a great central (but away from the craziness of Road Town). Only downside is the cruise bus traffic for their excursion for the Beach at Mylette's. Nice private beach with awesome waves! Would definitely come back!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth P
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Sugar Mill is beautiful and the staff are overall wonderful. We arrived late with two children in tow and they were kind enough to have food made and delivered to our room. The weather the week we went was poor, but no one controls that! When we had breaks in the weather we enjoyed the small beach, and the beach bar that is part of the Sugar Mill. They make some of the best food at the Sugar Mill restaurant as well as the beach bar. The location and history of the hotel is something to behoid, dinner is a must here, as is the curried fried fish at the beach bar.
One of the only reasons I am not giving this 5 stars is because the interiors of the rooms need massive updating, don't get me wrong, everything is working and clean, just old. We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite which had a nice balcony and hammock. The mosquitos are murder so prepare and listen to the natives when it comes to using Skin-Soft as a repellant. Overall enjoyable but not my favorite.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank dharmadc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tortola
Sebastian's on the Beach
Peter Island Resort and Spa
Peter Island Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Peter Island
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Sugar Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!