“Charming, nice location, AMAZING FOOD”
Review of Sugar Mill Hotel

Sugar Mill Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
Denver
“Charming, nice location, AMAZING FOOD”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Lodging on the islands is tough: you have few options between 5-star luxury (and 6-star pricing) and overpriced drivel.
Sugar Mill isn't cheap, but it's not entirely expensive either which basically means you get a good bang for your buck.
The propery is very well maintained and you have a large selection of accomodations from suites to poolside villas to a regular hotel room (called a deluxe room).
We stayed in a deluxe room and found it to be very clean, comfortable, and spacious but otherwise unremarkable. Either way it was priced right. My folks stayed in a poolside villa for $25/night more. Depending on your budget, I would aim for this route.
The property has two restaurants: a smaller, more casual place across the street that serves lunch overlooking the ocean, and the main restaurant serving breakfast and dinner. The owners are former writers for Bon Appetit, so you the food is downright outstanding. It's not cheap, but the menu is creative, different and the service is second to none. Wine list isn't bad either.
Tip - rent a car. The hotel is on the main road, but you'll want to explore the island and other beaches and restaurants, which is best done in the cheapest, smallest beater you can find.
We stayed for two nights. Sugar Mill is a well run small hotel and we would recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are basically standard hotel rooms - they're nice, clean and priced right. The nex...
1 Thank SurfColorado78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
NC
Reviewed 12 May 2012

My husband and I stayed in the cottage... # 107. It was a one bedroom efficiency. The living area was spacious with a setee, chair & tv inside a cabinet. The kitchenette area was nice with small frig, sink, cabinets & desk. Our queen size bed was 4 poster with a netting over top... very romantic. (Never did need to use the netting, no mosquitos at all! But the look was beautiful.) The bathroom was my favorite part... the sink & toliet where inside & unairconditioned, but the shower was outside and open to the sky! It was all stone & tile. Lovely! The grounds were full of tropical plants. The pool was round, deep and had a very private feeling. It seemed these folks thought of everything. What a beautiful place to stay for a week. We will return again!!!

Room Tip: I would choose the cottage again. #107 I thought that the queen bed would not be good for us since...
2 Thank Sandgar
Tennessee
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This Boutique hotel is clean and has a very lovely, very local staff. Breakfasts are very nice and the staff accommodating. There is no room service and you must understand that the service is good, but it is not the states and good service on the Island as a whole, is just a bit different. I felt extremely safe and the staff came to know us by the 2nd day. The hotel is about 23 rooms and you can (or cannot, your preference) get to know a lot of the other guests. I highly suggest taking advantage of the Gourmet Picnic and taking it to a beach- it was wonderful. The fact that Sugar Mill has its own private beach is nice, however it is not one of the picturesque beaches, but is about a 5-20 mi drive from many others. Also having one of the better restaurants on the Island is also a plus. I would for sure stay here again and suggest it to anyone who does not want to a have a full on resort experience. We stayed in a Pool view Suite and highly suggest it since there is a kitchenette and porch with table and chairs.

1 Thank runash202
laguna beach
Reviewed 11 May 2012 via mobile

Loved it , fantastic food , stayed with friends , we were island hopping, fantastic food !!!
This was a quiet eclectic place to stay , better beaches were close by , you WILL want a car , and you will want to come back and eat dinner there , fantastic food & chef , very creative , with great results .
Perfectly located to get to north coast beaches , west end ferry's , and 15 to 30 mins from Roadtown for further ferry's ( wish I'd got to Anageda - next time )
Other restaurants locally , don't even touch their appetizers - chef there is **** FAB
Traveling through the BVI was much easier and convenient than I expected , but CAN be very crowded by Yachters in popular places , White Bay JV Dyke, The Bathes V Gorda , more crowded by Day sailers / Yachters than I expected , people yelling " Can you see My Boat ..."
Ruined some of the best days out
However driving around Tortola itself , apart from some tough hair pin driving , it is STUNNING
And I found my self snapping away at the beautiful views, and just standing and looking , the people in more remote areas , we're very typically carribean friendly & helpful
I've travelled all over the carribean and found the BVI folk , some of the most beautiful belongers .
BACK TO The SUGAR MILL
Room very clean & simple - not all rooms have a TV , there are no in room safes , their reception based safe system worked fine , in room would have been more convenient
I don't travel to watch TV , but having it in the room would have been convenient for the news / weather ....
We used our iPad ( their wifi is great ) and watched Netflix
The " owners drink party " with Richard & Jinx was very nice , very pleasant people to meet & chat with
Would I go again - in a heart beat - & defenetly stay at the Sugar mill
Service was extremely polished & professional at all times ( even if it felt a little bit " cold" at times )
Wouldn't stay anywhere else , unless I was renting a villa .
Cheers Richard & Jinx & thank you to all your staff for a wonderful stay
Martin & Scott - Laguna Beach

Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
NYC
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed at the Sugar Mill (family of four) for a week in April 2012. We stayed in a pool suite. We had a fantastic time - the property is lovely and our pool suite worked out well. I was a little worried that the pool would be a little small, but it was great for my kids (11 & 9) and the beach was much better than I expected, too. Even thought their beach is small, it was a great spot for my kids to practice their snorkeling. There's a surprisingly large amount of fish located on their little coral reef including these huge fish (3-4 feet long) that scared the cr*p out of me when I first saw them. The shell collecting was great, too.

The location was excellent, too. Make sure you rent a car because you'll need one and remember "left is right." The property is right near the West End, which gave us easy access to the ferry, Soper's Hole and some great beaches. Smugglers is worth the short drive (you'll likely think you're going the wrong way but you'll find it) and Cane Garden Bay is only a short drive, too. The main town, Road Town is only about a 15-20 min drive which is beautiful and scenic. It's also a short walk to the Bomba Shack - if you happen to be there during a full moon, stop by (I wasn't).

The service at the hotel was good - remember, this isn't a large Four Seasons so set your expectations properly. The restaurant there is one of the four best on the island with the others being Frenchman's, The Dove (loved this - top choice) and Banana Keet.

All-in-all - amazing place. Great place to unwind and relax. My kids loved it more than I expected them to and I would imagine during the season, when they don't allow kids, this place is quiet, tranquil and about as relaxing as you can get.

Room Tip: We were in room 103 which provides very easy access to the pool, etc, but the property isn't hug...
3 Thank garflee
Stratham, New Hampshire
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We are just returning from a great vacation at the Sugar Mill. Three generations, including 2 teenagers. The setting was perfection, ocean and island views and lovely landscaping. The service was outstanding, friendly and accommodating staff. The food was gourmet quality and even the teenagers, picky eaters, were thrilled. Our accommodations in a pool suite and the Villa suited all. The pool, though small is never busy. The beach is great and never crowded. We all snorkeled, went to lunch at the beach restaurant, and the went back in the water. If you are not the kind to relax in one place for a week, I would rent a car for at least part of the trip. We explored the island and driving on the left was an adventure for our daughter-in-law. We would all definitely return to the Sugar Mill

2 Thank TravelerNH95
scottsdale
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We just returned from an eight day stay in tortola.Our experience with the With the Sugar mill exceeded our expectations . Our initial plan was to try the meal plan for two days then explore. When the two days were up I asked the wife and kids if they wanted to try somewhere else for dinner. Their answer was " are you crazy dad"? The food was great. The servers always made sure that the kids were taken care of. The chef on our last night made us a special meal these huge Anegada lobsters.As far as the Rooms go were loved them large with a sitting area and a nice patio complete with hammock overlooking the beach.Overall everyone at Sugar Mill went out of their way to fullfill every request and make our stay more pleasant. In short I highly recommend the Hotel and would return,

4 Thank phxdoc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tortola
Surfsong Villa Resort
Long Bay Beach Club
Long Bay Beach Club
#7 of 25 in Tortola
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Sugar Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!