“Wonderful stay in Tortola”
Review of Sugar Mill Hotel

Sugar Mill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My husband and I recently traveled from our home on St Maarten to try another Caribbean island that we had not yet visited. We decided on Tortola and chose the Sugar Mill Hotel for our stay. I had read about the Sugar Mill in Bon Appetit years ago and always dreamed of staying there. My dream came true! It was a perfect stay. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a pool suite. We absolutely loved the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful and truly seemed to care that we had a great time. We had several meals at the hotel and they were all wonderful. We definitely recommend the Sugar Mill Hotel to anyone who plans to visit Tortola.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 953SharonH

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed in a Pool Suite, which I really recommend. The view from the large balcony was great. The room was very comfortable and I really appreciated the small kitchen area and the open air shower.

The hotel itself is quite quiet. The beach is small and can be effected by strong northern swells (although it is protected by a reef). So if you like lying down on the beach all day this may not be your hotel. The pool is relatively small, but very attractive. We stayed three nights and on the 6 occasions we used the pool we always had it to ourselves.

The meals in the restaurant were unusual and well prepared. The service here was maybe a little short of the absolute best, but there certainly wasn't anything to complain about. Service by the other hotel staff was outstanding.

So all in all it was a great place for a short romantic holiday. I'll certainly go back next time I'm in Tortola.

Room Tip: The most northerly Pool Suite (the suite on the left when viewed from the pool) has the best view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingCelt
Reviewed 10 November 2013

If you want to stay close to apple bay this is the best place on this side of the island. Its a 3 minute walk on an ocean front road or a one minute drive down to the Bomba Shack where the surf break is. For me, it was worth spending a little more to stay in a beautiful place. The other option for surfing apple bay is Sebastian's but its just not as nice, however it is definitely more affordable. Be very careful when you book a room at the Sugar Mill. There is a $30 room service fee a day plus $12 in government tax a day. So if it says your room is $300 its actually $342. I stayed in room #143 with was a one bedroom plantation house. It was definitely my favorite spot in the hotel. Closest to the beach, private, and right across from where you eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There is a small beach out front that is swimmable on a calm day. I really love this place. It was clean, quiet, and comfortable.

Room Tip: The plantation houses are right by the front of the hotel closest to the beach. I stayed in room #1...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RL8888
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Just returned from a wonderful stay at the Sugar Mill Hotel. We loved the beautiful, quaint historic setting.The staff were all exceptional and really made us feel welcome. The food was delicious at the restaurant and we ate all our meals there. Very gourmet and very attentive servers. I highly recommend staying here and we will again soon! Loved the pool suite!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mann6
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed here July 17- 24th and had a wonderful room- # 142 (upstairs room so vaulted ceiling which I love). It is one of their nicer rooms so I can't say what the others look like but we loved this one. It had King bed that was very comfortable, (I have back issues and it was great) a sitting area with sofa and 2 chairs, a small cafe table with 2 chairs, and small refrig.; sink; toaster; and coffeemaker, LOTS of windows with plantation shutters on all, french doors opening to patio with hammock and chairs to overlook the ocean, Oh- and this room has an adjoining door if you want to use both rooms...The food at the restaurant is tops. We have been coming to the BVI for 22 yrs. and always have eaten at the Sugar Mill at least once while visiting, and have always taken guests there- (we used to own a home on Tortola)...There is a nice pool but you also are right across the road from their beach which also has a beach restaurant for lunches that is VERY good and enjoyable. VERY nice stay!

Room Tip: #142- has vaulted ceiling
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Heinri
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Having lived in the British Virgin Islands for 7 years, I knew of the Sugarmill and frequented the excellent restaurant but had never stayed there as a guest. Upon returning with my family and wife's parents, we decided to stay there rather than a villa. All I can say is WOW. Customer service is not something the BVI is known for but at the Sugarmill the staff are not only helpful, efficient and courteous - they are also genuinely friendly which gives the whole hotel/resort a very relaxed feel which is reflected in the smiles of all the guests.

The rooms are clean and well equipped (we were in the pool suites), the outdoor shower is great and the kitchenette adequate for preparing lunches, breakfast (although the restaurant is just a few steps and away and serves excellent food across all the menus).

Any problems? We had two very minor issues that I only mention to illustrate just how good the team are here - the A/C in one room broke, we reported it and it was fixed within the hour (the room hadn't even had time to get hot) and due to my heavy handedness, I snapped a door handle off accidentally. I reported the latter thinking "they're going to have to ship in a replacement" as it was a one piece aluminium unit. I went out to the pool, came back and it had been replaced - incredible.

As we had two little ones with us, on some evenings we had dinner on the (spacious) balcony - we simply ordered from the main restaurant (where the food is great and the menu changes every day) and ate their with a good bottle wine and a lovely view.

The location of the Sugarmill is Apple Bay (AKA Capoons Bay) which is well placed for access to Cane Garden Bay, Smuggler's Cove and Frenchman's Cay/Sopers Hole - this alone gives you a wide range of options for things to do (day sails, beaches, ferries, restaurants, etc.) and it's also a simple 20 minute drive to Road Town.

In summary, we would definitely stay there again (probably next year) and - probably the highest praise of all - wouldn't change a thing!

Room Tip: The pool suites are great for a small family or couple.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Bob M
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We arrived on Tortola for our annual BVI rest-and-dive trip on our anniversary, and chose to have an evening to ourselves before traveling on to our final destination. We could not have been happier with our Plantation House room just above the beach. The entire staff was helpful and courteous; although it was off-season and after the posted lunch hours at the Islands beach bar, the manager called down. We had lunch and the staff took care of our bags including dive gear. We had dinner in the dining room; I had heard conflicting reviews of the restaurant, where we had eaten on our honeymoon years ago. Happy to report that our meal, while pricey, was elegant and delicious (4/5 on TripAdvisor scale). We walked the grounds and small beach area before and after breakfast. Having been there only once before after dark, we found the cobbled stairways, the remnants of the old mill, and layout charming. For a one night splurge, it fit the bill perfectly.

Room Tip: We asked upon reservation for the agent to choose for us. She asked a few questions about what we l...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple