“So beautiful”

Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
Atlanta, Georgia
“So beautiful”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I was a bit concerned as I heard this hotel just re-opened after being closed for a couple of months and changing some of the things it offered. I was really pleasantly surprised. When we arrived we were offered champagne as one of the first guests to arrive after the opening. Made us feel very special, as was being met by the General Manager Hugh in the lobby while we were being checked in. The hotel is smaller now than it used to be, a lot of the villas aren't being used any longer, but the most amazing thing is the beach, which has not changed. What a beautiful beach, whether you just lounge on a chair or walk the white sand, looking at that beautiful water never got tired.
We also went on a catamaran sail to the Baths, I must do while in the Virgin islands, so much fun!

Room Tip: All the rooms are on the beach so you can't choose a bad view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Shellybean2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Auburn, NY
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Hopefully a new owner will buy it and CLEAN HOUSE of every employee and install cameras at the pool bar, the front desk and on the beach. That would tell them alot. Clean up the grounds, the re-rod, and the trash would be a quick, simple fix. As of October 15th, 2013 the pool and pool bar are closed. The resort is for sale except for the villas that are owned individually. There is talk they might buy the pool and sell memberships to the time share owners on the beach. The place is tired. The best beach on Tortola but rent a villa somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank lovethecaribbean23
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at Long Bay Beach Club, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at Long Bay.

Long Bay Beach Club is opening on October 26th as scheduled featuring our new Beach Club concept. Upon reopening, the resort will be renamed Long Bay Beach Club. Our goal is to create a more attractive, romantic, and intimate beach club-style resort providing a terrific beachfront location with highly personalized service.

We hope that you will join us soon.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The beach that fronts this property is one of the most beautiful in the world. Each time we've stayed here was following a sailing charter. This was our third visit and we will return again.

We were upgraded from a beach front room to a cabana which was awesome. Having your own hammock less than 50' from the sea is paradise.

We enjoyed the pool bar for lunch, the restaurant for breakfast, and hotel bar. We only had one dinner at the resort and to be honest it was rather bland. The best dinners we had there were a long time ago when the menu was less North American and more local. The restaurant breakfasts were excellent though and the wait staff are very nice. There were four in my traveling party and all remarked how happy they were that we stayed a few extra nights here after our sailing trip.

Make a point of walking to Smugglers Cove beach, and bring lots of small bills (1's&5's). You can rent beach chairs, and buy drinks on a nice quiet beach with no surf and great snorkeling. The beach in front of the hotel can at times get a higher surf but there are spots that are not at all rocky and are really nice for swimming. It is a wonderful place to spend a day.

The one thing to realize is that this hotel always feels quiet even when its relatively busy. The beach is enormous relative to the amount of rooms. It is easy to feel alone on this beach if you like that sort of thing. The pool is a nice place to socialize and meet other travelers.

The location, staff, and the of course the wonderful residents of Tortola make this one of our favourite places to visit. A great resort to stay at for its own sake, or to end or start a sailing holiday.

Room Tip: The beach front rooms are awesome but you will pay. The hill side rooms are really nice but if you...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank LongKeel
Antigua
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My fiance and I returned last week from Long Bay Beach Resort, and we both loved it!

TAXI:
We arrived at the the airport shortly after 11:00 pm and we immediately got a taxi, literally as soon as we stepped outside the airport. Alnando (taxi driver) was very polite and even though it was dark as it was so late, he still took time to inform us of important landmarks and places of interest during the drive to Long Bay. We took his card, as we wanted him to be the one to take us back to the airport and anywhere else. When we got to the Reception to check-out on the day of departure, he was waiting for us with a smile, even earlier than the time we arranged.

ARRIVAL:
We arrived just after midnight (tired after a long day of flight cancellations and delays) but check-in was quick as I had taken advantage of the the express check-in service available on the resort's website. I knew that their restaurants would be closed by the time we arrived, so I called the resort directly to let them know that I would be coming in late but there was still nothing prepared for us to eat. Slightly disappointing; nevertheless this did not affect the overall experience.

ROOM:
We were in room 588; it was quite large and was more than comfortable. It had a really nice view of the beach and we really liked the double bathroom sinks and walk-in closet. It was also close to the 1748 restaurant and it was great to wake up to the sound of waves in the morning.

STAFF:
We basically had the resort to ourselves; I guess this was because the resort was getting ready to close for major changes. But the service was great. Mabel, Denise and Lillian at the main restaurant were very friendly. The bartender, Fabian was great as well and really enjoyed making drinks for us. Sheryl at the swim-up pool bar and grill was excellent and made us feel like family. My fiance and I would sit for hours and just chat with her and the food there was really good too.

POOL:
The floor of the pool was really dirty and there bugs floating around; apparently the pump didn't work. But hey, there is a beautiful beach to make up for it.

FLIGHT TO TORTOLA:
The only MAJOR disappointing thing about our trip was LIAT "The Caribbean Airline". We were only informed that our flight to Tortola was cancelled when we arrived at the airport check-in counter. Then the lady who was assisting us rudely said "you won't be able to leave the country tonight". I have definitely heard of LIAT's shortcomings; but I never thought that they would not inform their customers of a cancelled flight before they made the journey to the airport!

Overall, the resort was a great place to relax. The food was great and the staff was friendly; we would not hesitate to return!

Room Tip: Beachfront Deluxe Rooms are spacious and provide great views.
2 Thank IslandGirl268
Mebane, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My wife and I spent 8 days at the Long Bay Resort and had a great time during our visit to Tortola. The location is fantastic with a beach at your doorstep. We stayed in a Vacation Villa which had a kitchen, so it was convenient in the mornings for early coffee and watching the day break.

Getting around Tortola is not difficult, and this location is very good. We did rent a car from Jerry's which I would recommend during your stay. There are several good restaurants nearby, and we had breakfast several days at the marina on the west end.

Room Tip: Vacation Villa with kitchen
3 Thank drbell811
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We have been here twice, each time for 10 days, and will definitely go again. If you are looking for a quiet and relaxing spot in the Carribean, this is it. There are no shows, just a one hour cocktail party on Monday evenings to meet the new arrivals. The food is tremendous ... and we did not feel the need to eat elsewhere because of the great food. We had one of the apartments right on the beach and these are very comfortable. The service cannot be beaten: the staff is friendly and always ready to be helpful. There is a very nice pool and there are tennis courts, should you feel the need to be athletic! The spa is great, and there is a small workout gym. What we are trying to say is that this is an absolute must for relaxation!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank nicholas263
Roseville, California
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I am deeply disappointed in my stay. My husband and I decided to visit BVI for our anniversary. I looked around and found Long Bay in Tortola. I referenced Trip Advisor and for the most part saw positive comments. We have just returned from our visit and after our experience I'm not so sure I should ever trust ANY reviews again.
I ponied up the extra money to stay on the beach in a beach cabana. I mostly did not want to stay up on that very steep hill. Upon checking in, we were informed that only one restaurant was operational for the duration of our stay. We were also informed of the activity areas of the resort such as the pool, the table tennis and pool table area. We checked out the table tennis/pool table area and at one time would have been really nice. However, now it looked like something from an old ran down hotel that had been abandoned for years. We also were given two beach towels (and informed we would be charged some crazy amount that I can't remember,if not returned at the end of our stay) and also that if we wanted to utilize the in-room safe it was $15 non-refundable for a lock and a $65 hold on our card (which would be charged,if the lock was not returned at the end of the stay). We both travel extensively for both business and pleasure and I can tell you, this is the first time either of us has had to pay for a lock on the room safe. Also, wifi is available but extremely spotty and we never received signal in our room at all.
We were helped to our room and found an absolutely gorgeous view from our deck. It was probably the nicest thing to look at during our stay.
We had dinner at the 1748 restaurant. The food was sub-par and the service would have been better and faster if my 90 year old grandma would have been our server. Our water was never refilled after it was initially brought to us. My husband finished his entire glass and resorted to drinking mine after it was obvious no one there knows what to do when they see an empty glass on the table (had the same experience with different wait staff for breakfast). Breakfast at 1748 was no better than dinner. The staff was extremely slow, never refilled your coffee and some were not that friendly. Since breakfast was included in our package, we ate at the resort every morning. If it had not been included in our package, we would have never ate there after that first morning. On the third morning, I asked for a glass of water, knowing my coffee would not get refilled, so I would have at least some liquid to help wash breakfast down, I never received the water. I would have asked again, but the wait staff disappeared until time to bring the check by. I will say that there was 2 days (out of 5) that our coffe was refilled. This was done by a new waitress that we had not seen any of the other days.
Our beach cabana room had small ants running around. Mostly we saw them in the bathroom, however as the week went on, I found them on the furniture and in sink/kitchen area of the room. Housekeeping only left one washcloth and towel per guest each day. I truly believe this policy needs to be changed. Who goes to a beachfront resort and only showers once a day?? We go for a swim in the ocean come back to our room to shower off the salt water and now have no washcloth to shower with the next morning. This was very frustrating.
The room and furniture were extremely outdated and NOT worth what we paid per night. The bed was hard and we both woke up sore every morning. The bathroom door needed replacing, as it looked as though something had gnawed on the bottom of it. The walls in the whole unit could've used a good washing or wiping down as it was obvious that they hadn't been cleaned in years. There are some areas in a room that I know can't be cleaned after each guest, however, there are some that should be, just for sanitary purposes. For example, the plates for the light switches, these should be wiped down after each guest depart. The ones in our room were filthy! This place made me feel dirty. I truly did not feel clean until I got home and showered.

I understand that the resort is closing tomorrow and will have some updating. My advice would be hire new staff before reopenning and train them on how the job is to be performed and what expectations are of a customer that is paying top dollar a night. Also keep track of your employees. One day during our stay, a worker from the maintenance area pulled up a chair in front of our room and took about a 1.5 hour nap under tree. The employees seemed complacent in their job and like they took no pride in their work.
The rooms at a Holiday Inn are cleaner and nicer than what we had and MUCH cheaper. I guess we paid extra for a view, not for amenities and service.

Room Tip: Try another island or different resort.
14 Thank lowgetter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tortola
Sebastian's on the Beach
Moorings Mariner Inn Hotel
Moorings Mariner Inn Hotel
#6 of 13 in Road Town
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Long Bay Beach Club? Share your experiences!