“Still a great beach resort”

Long Bay Beach Club
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Having gone through some consolidation and restructuring of management services, I like the new smaller more focused Long Bay, The beach remains one of the best on Tortilla [ if you're into suntan lotion, this is the place] and now that the bar, restaurant and manager's office is in one place [ On the Beach] service is what it should be....

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Boeregees
There are newer reviews for Long Bay Beach Club

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We bought a package deal for the Long Bay Beach Club and found that it was undergoing some major reorganization. Our guidebook indicated that it had multiple restaurants, a pool, a water sports shop and other amenities, but the number of rooms had been greatly reduced and only one restaurant was left. At the end it didn't really matter to us since we were not looking for the resort experience. We stayed on a cabana right on the beautiful beach and spent our days island hopping. The staff was very helpful and very courteous working with us to call taxis, organize trips and make reservations since none of our phones worked. Our package included a catamaran day-sail which we didn't do because the company never went out not having enough people for the trip, and the hotel was very kind to give us a good faith refund. Overall, Long Bay was a great base to have our first island experience.

Notes: - it's unclear what is going to happen with the old resort pool and they are putting in a new pool for the smaller resort which was not open.
- the water sport shop and most of the restaurants are gone and the remaining restaurant is okay, but expensive for what it is.
- the beach is gorgeous, but waves were very rough and a lot of corals on the bottom close to the shore make for dangerous swimming if you don't have water shoes. Smuggler's Cay which is a 20 min walk away down the road is sandy and much calmer with some decent snorkeling.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank mc_manzini
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had stayed near Long Bay ( LB ) & jogged through the resort several times; I was impressed with the grounds & beach & decided to give an LB a try . The grounds & beach are a solid 5 star ,just a great setting . The staff do not do a good job ,but do not seem to have an attitude problem....simply my guess is a lack of good training .The restraurant is okay,but with a little good management could be easily a 4 star . I got the feeling that a few outside contractors may have special deals that the owners might not be aware of . For example,
1. Around 4 pm, I stopped by the front desk to reserve a taxi at 7 pm to Sugar Mill for dinner.
At 7 pm I am at the lobby & no taxi; at 7:15 pm no taxi ,so I ask the person on duty . She calls
the driver who relays that he got busy,etc and will be there in 15-20 minutes or about 45 minutes late . I of course state that being that late is unacceptable & call another taxi which are numerous & very good on Tortola. The origianl driver was late picking me up 3 times,so I inquired
why the front desk kept calling a driver that was not reliable . You probably can guess the answer I received...someone at the front desk received a commission.
2. Tour buses that take cruise passengers to the beach regularly drop off small busloads of passengers in the parking lot of Long Bays restraurant . These cruise ship passengers then go to
LB's beach & use LB's beach chairs,etc. I complained & an LB employee said " how I am suppose to know who is an LB guest vs a cruise ship passenger ?" Of course , I said why not ask. This influx really crowds the beach & elimates guests being able to find an LB beach chair.
After discussing with an LB employee, I again got the impression that someone on the staff at LB
had a deal with the tour operators. I saw no benefit to LB as none of the bus passengers ever bought a meal or drink at LB.
With all of the above being said LB has the basics to be a 4 or 4.5 star resort ; it simply needs
to update the rooms,do a better job of training employees , & focus on their paying guests.
I understand from a news release that LB has undergone a major transformation & has re-opened under new management ,so I will look forward to visiting in the near future to check out the new LB Beach resort.

Room Tip: the view on the 2nd floor is better than the first floor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Larry M
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at Long Bay Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback about your stay at the Long Bay Resort.

As you mentioned in your review, the resort was closed for some months and re-opened as the Long Bay Beach Club offering a more intimate experience on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean.

We do hope to welcome you back so that we can once again host you for a sun-filled memorable vacation experience.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I was a bit concerned as I heard this hotel just re-opened after being closed for a couple of months and changing some of the things it offered. I was really pleasantly surprised. When we arrived we were offered champagne as one of the first guests to arrive after the opening. Made us feel very special, as was being met by the General Manager Hugh in the lobby while we were being checked in. The hotel is smaller now than it used to be, a lot of the villas aren't being used any longer, but the most amazing thing is the beach, which has not changed. What a beautiful beach, whether you just lounge on a chair or walk the white sand, looking at that beautiful water never got tired.
We also went on a catamaran sail to the Baths, I must do while in the Virgin islands, so much fun!

Room Tip: All the rooms are on the beach so you can't choose a bad view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Shellybean2013
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Hopefully a new owner will buy it and CLEAN HOUSE of every employee and install cameras at the pool bar, the front desk and on the beach. That would tell them alot. Clean up the grounds, the re-rod, and the trash would be a quick, simple fix. As of October 15th, 2013 the pool and pool bar are closed. The resort is for sale except for the villas that are owned individually. There is talk they might buy the pool and sell memberships to the time share owners on the beach. The place is tired. The best beach on Tortola but rent a villa somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank lovethecaribbean23
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at Long Bay Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at Long Bay.

Long Bay Beach Club is opening on October 26th as scheduled featuring our new Beach Club concept. Upon reopening, the resort will be renamed Long Bay Beach Club. Our goal is to create a more attractive, romantic, and intimate beach club-style resort providing a terrific beachfront location with highly personalized service.

We hope that you will join us soon.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

The beach that fronts this property is one of the most beautiful in the world. Each time we've stayed here was following a sailing charter. This was our third visit and we will return again.

We were upgraded from a beach front room to a cabana which was awesome. Having your own hammock less than 50' from the sea is paradise.

We enjoyed the pool bar for lunch, the restaurant for breakfast, and hotel bar. We only had one dinner at the resort and to be honest it was rather bland. The best dinners we had there were a long time ago when the menu was less North American and more local. The restaurant breakfasts were excellent though and the wait staff are very nice. There were four in my traveling party and all remarked how happy they were that we stayed a few extra nights here after our sailing trip.

Make a point of walking to Smugglers Cove beach, and bring lots of small bills (1's&5's). You can rent beach chairs, and buy drinks on a nice quiet beach with no surf and great snorkeling. The beach in front of the hotel can at times get a higher surf but there are spots that are not at all rocky and are really nice for swimming. It is a wonderful place to spend a day.

The one thing to realize is that this hotel always feels quiet even when its relatively busy. The beach is enormous relative to the amount of rooms. It is easy to feel alone on this beach if you like that sort of thing. The pool is a nice place to socialize and meet other travelers.

The location, staff, and the of course the wonderful residents of Tortola make this one of our favourite places to visit. A great resort to stay at for its own sake, or to end or start a sailing holiday.

Room Tip: The beach front rooms are awesome but you will pay. The hill side rooms are really nice but if you...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank LongKeel
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My fiance and I returned last week from Long Bay Beach Resort, and we both loved it!

TAXI:
We arrived at the the airport shortly after 11:00 pm and we immediately got a taxi, literally as soon as we stepped outside the airport. Alnando (taxi driver) was very polite and even though it was dark as it was so late, he still took time to inform us of important landmarks and places of interest during the drive to Long Bay. We took his card, as we wanted him to be the one to take us back to the airport and anywhere else. When we got to the Reception to check-out on the day of departure, he was waiting for us with a smile, even earlier than the time we arranged.

ARRIVAL:
We arrived just after midnight (tired after a long day of flight cancellations and delays) but check-in was quick as I had taken advantage of the the express check-in service available on the resort's website. I knew that their restaurants would be closed by the time we arrived, so I called the resort directly to let them know that I would be coming in late but there was still nothing prepared for us to eat. Slightly disappointing; nevertheless this did not affect the overall experience.

ROOM:
We were in room 588; it was quite large and was more than comfortable. It had a really nice view of the beach and we really liked the double bathroom sinks and walk-in closet. It was also close to the 1748 restaurant and it was great to wake up to the sound of waves in the morning.

STAFF:
We basically had the resort to ourselves; I guess this was because the resort was getting ready to close for major changes. But the service was great. Mabel, Denise and Lillian at the main restaurant were very friendly. The bartender, Fabian was great as well and really enjoyed making drinks for us. Sheryl at the swim-up pool bar and grill was excellent and made us feel like family. My fiance and I would sit for hours and just chat with her and the food there was really good too.

POOL:
The floor of the pool was really dirty and there bugs floating around; apparently the pump didn't work. But hey, there is a beautiful beach to make up for it.

FLIGHT TO TORTOLA:
The only MAJOR disappointing thing about our trip was LIAT "The Caribbean Airline". We were only informed that our flight to Tortola was cancelled when we arrived at the airport check-in counter. Then the lady who was assisting us rudely said "you won't be able to leave the country tonight". I have definitely heard of LIAT's shortcomings; but I never thought that they would not inform their customers of a cancelled flight before they made the journey to the airport!

Overall, the resort was a great place to relax. The food was great and the staff was friendly; we would not hesitate to return!

Room Tip: Beachfront Deluxe Rooms are spacious and provide great views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IslandGirl268
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tortola
Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel
Moorings Mariner Inn Hotel
Moorings Mariner Inn Hotel
#5 of 13 in Road Town
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Long Bay Beach Club? Share your experiences!