“Great option, close to airport”
Review of The Tamarind Club

The Tamarind Club
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
London, United Kingdom
“Great option, close to airport”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We picked Tamarind for a very short stay before catching ferry to Virgin Gorda... The room was simple but clean and the staff could not have been nicer _ from letting us check in super late to ensuring we had a great cocktail upon our arrival. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank C V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sheffield
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed at the Tamarind over New Year 2011-2012 in a two room suite, and were not very impressed. A very small en suite facility which we could hardly turn round in, and a very poor standard of room cleaning (this is the first hotel in 30 years of foreign travel where we left no tip for the cleaning staff), made for a mediocre experience. This was made worse my hordes of smokers polluting the food and bar service areas, along with a pack of smelly dogs. Food was good on the few nights we ate at the club, but the service took absolutely ages - over an hour on one less-then-memorable occasion !

All in all, a good place if you like tobacco fumes and dogs, but otherwise best avoided.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank curmudgeonface
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 2 January 2012

The folks at Tamarind are the kindest and most welcoming people I have ever met. While wearing from a long long travel trip they welcomed me in with open arms and treated me like family. I spent a thanksgiving night with them one year, eating turkey specially prepared with a group of people who acted like and treated me like family. The rooms are clean, they are realistic and comfortable. The staff is friendly and always ready to offer a smile. I was a professional travel writer/analyst while staying there and not only did they pass my personal test but they passed the professional standards with ease. They do it right there, much more so than other places on the islands. If you want to be comfortable and support a local business, this is for you. I would recommend to everyone and anyone. This is real BVI flavor, even has one of the most private and killer beaches on the island within walking distance. The Tamarind Club is by fat my FAVORITE place in all of the BVI.

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite is fun but I liked all the rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Molly R
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stayed here one night after completing a 7 day cruise of the islands, since the charter was over too late to catch flights back to San Juan. The Club is run by an ex-pat US family. The facility itself is a bit frayed at the edges. 'Night of the Iguana' is a bit harsh, but there's a sense that decades of tropical humidity, lush overgrowth, and periodic tropical storms have left their imprint. The result is a place that has a lot of character and charm, as long as you're not bothered by a bit of rusty pipes, insects in the bathroom (to be fair, these are endemic in the BVI), and a bit of mildew here and there. The place truly is charming, though, and the owners are real characters. The main income for the Club probably comes from the bar and restaurant, both of which are packed every night. The food is very good and the drinks are great. It's a fun place and we'll probably stay here after our next cruise.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ZenTraveler8
Shreveport
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Great little hotel, in the hills above a great bay.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Captain_Ron53
Nashville
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Tamarind Club is a great place to ease right into island time and relax. It is very laid back and casual. After a long day of travel, it was nice to be told that they would take care of the formalities in a bit and to come and have a welcome drink. The bartenders were all great and if you ask, one of them will guess what you're in the mood for and make the perfect cocktail. After relaxing a bit, one of the owners took me to my room, which was more of a suite with a nice patio on top of the hill. Although it could use some upgrading, everything was extremely clean and comfortable. The veranda had lots of seating and a hammock. There was no AC but with all the fans, I slept extremely well on both nights. They also gave me a good flashlight to navigate up and down the hill in the dark and even as a solo traveler, I felt very safe. The owner did mention that they typically don't lock the doors and there is no in room safe so I just locked my jewelry in my suitcase. It's about a 15-20 minute walk to the beach but there is also a nice pool that was not crowded when I was there. Also love the swim up bar. The food at the Tamarind was excellent. I arrived on St. Patrick's Day and I had some of the best corned beef and cabbage ever and had it in a reuben a couple days later it was so good as were all the other meals. Breakfast was included and is continental, which works for me, but you can order omelets and more. Everyone - the staff and locals were friendly and the hotel/club has a great laid back vibe. This is not a 5 star resort so if that's what you like, this is probably not the hotel for you. If you want to have a relaxing island experience, then you'll like the Tamarind Club. I will definitely stay here again when joining a charter.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank amh3855
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Just spent a week on Tortola with my girl who used to work there. During her time on island, she was a regular at The Tamarind and raved about it.

We first went there on a Fri night for Quiz Night, a local tradition! 50 questions and fun times. You'll probably need at least 42 to win. Teams allowed. Artichoke dip is great. Oh yeah, and they have a cable tv on which they will kindly play NHL playoffs if you happen to be there at that time of year and care about that kind of thing!

We were staying with friends on island, but wanted one night there. We were given room #6 for Saturday night. Clearly designed by hippie stoners, but very comfortable, nonetheless! Our friends came to join us for The Tamarind's well-known Sunday Brunch the next morning.

Straight up, it's not The Ritz. If you go there expecting that, you WILL be disappointed. If you go wanting a great little hideaway with its own charm, you'll enjoy it immensely. And it's got a pool, complete with swim-up bar. There, you will meet Clint.

Clint is a great bartender. He knows everyone by name, your drinks are always full, and he's able to referee a good late night argument (er, heated debate) about hockey. He even went out of his way to send us a text during an extreme storm to let us know that their cable tv was still functioning during Game 7 of the Stanley Cup. Good thing, since the bar we had just gotten to (Mulligan's at Nanny Cay, where we watched part of Game 6) had lost their satellite signal and was not able to show the game!

As long as you know what you're getting before you book, you'll probably enjoy the Tamarind. A little off the beaten path can sometimes be a lot of fun!

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank drinkswhiskey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tortola
Sebastian's on the Beach
#9 of 13 in Road Town
Anegada Beach Club
Anegada Beach Club
#1 of 5 in Anegada

Been to The Tamarind Club? Share your experiences!