“Lovely setting with outstanding service - a true gem tucked in East End.”
Review of The Tamarind Club

The Tamarind Club
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
Reviewed 5 January 2014

A friend suggested we stay here before and after our charter and I am so glad that we did. I had been here several times prior, but had not stayed as a guest. Fresh fruit, toast with butter, nutella, jam and coffee every morning poolside. Delicious offerings on the menu - always some tantalizing aroma coming from the kitchen. Loved the curry chicken, fresh pizzas and Cindy's bacon mac and cheese. Seriously wished I had made time to try their desserts and local cuisine. As another reviewer stated, this is a local's favorite as well, so you are sure to meet a variety of people if you are in the mood to mingle, especially on Sunday. If you're a bit homesick and missing your dog, the friendly staff dogs are often next to the bar as well as a couple of curious felines wandering the perimeter of the property. Clint the bartender has a wonderful knack for concocting a cocktail to match your mood or the day. Do yourself a favor and give Liquid Sunshine or the Lebowski a try. Cindy & Cat, mother-daughter owners are always pleasant with a welcoming smile. Felt very much at home here and met interesting, people from France, Zambia, Holland and U.S. from Michigan to NY. Gorgeous plumeria, hibiscus, thick sanseveria, cassia and other plants surround the property. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Balcony room was preferred over poolside - if you are a light sleeper. However, I was there for NYE!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was our second stay at the Tamarind Club. If your looking for a 5 Star resort, stay on St. Thomas. If your looking for a clean place run by a family who takes excellent care of their guests, then this is your place. The facilities are good and the ambiance will take your stress levels to record lows. With the jungle sounds, the swim up bar, and charming rooms, you expect Hemmingway to wander in and sit down.

Cindy and Eric have combined this setting with a kitchen that is outstanding. The wonderful ladies that happily prepare your meals do things that rival any meal you will get in the islands, including that 5 star place on St. Thomas, which by the way, we stayed at on our way home.

They also arranged a wonderful surprise party for my wife's 50th birthday complete with live music, decorations, and a wonderful buffet for 24 of us to enjoy.

We will return again, and again, and again ...

Room Tip: By the pool is convenient, the other rooms will be more quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank SJonesKnox
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Reviews for places you love are tricky. Do you tell the world so they can experience the awesome or do you keep the tip to yourself? After all, there are only so many rooms at the Tamarind Club and I would hate to cause a sell out when *I* want to come.

Fortunately for you, I am in a generous mood! :)

This place flat out rules! The staff is amazing both in service and friendliness. This is not the place to come if you want a super quiet atmosphere, it's buzzing with activity and a FAVORITE amongst the locals. This is the place to come if you want to genuinely experience Tortola, find out where the best beaches are and drink amazing cocktails made by Clint, one of the owners. He goes beyond the description of a bartender and can actually make you a drink that you never knew you wanted but was perfect for whatever mood you are in.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Eaterge
Reviewed 5 November 2013

If you like smelly outdoor furniture, a rude bartender and a hotel that is hard to find, this is your place. Finding it is an adventure, since the two posted signs are so faded you have a hard time telling which way the arrow is pointing!! No parking, just a field and no sign of the outside to let you know you have found it. We called twice asking for directions. I don't know how the bartender could have been any ruder. Lots of dogs roaming around. We sacrificed our deposit and did not stay!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Kayla2278
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We had just finished 6 nights on a 48 ft Marine Max cat and wanted to stay somewhere close-ish to airport for early departure the next morning. I had found this hotel on internet and we had 4 couples. When we pulled up, they all looked at me like are you crazy!! We walked up to the bar and met Cat, who quickly told us to chill. It was noon and figured rooms wouldn't be ready. Actually 3 were ready with the 4th very soon after. Cat made us drinks and we spent the entire afternoon hanging out with the wonderful folks!! It was Cindy's birthday and they were planning a surprise party so we got right in the mix. Since we had celebrated a 50th bday on our trip, we gave them our banner and "fixed" it up to show Cindy's name:) Cat and Clint took great care of us all afternoon, the food was AMAZING and we even celebrated Cindy's surprise with all of their friends. I had read a lot of reviews and while it won't be like staying at Waldorf or W, no where is in the islands. It was very clean, hefty working AC and awesome pool. We had a wonderful Saturday and thank the folks at Tamarind Club a ton!! Enjoy your time off now:) The FLORIDA crew

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Channing M
Reviewed 28 July 2013

If you are staying here you will need plenty of bug spray! Having said that, I enjoyed my stay considering the price. BVI is expensive. I was visiting the island to look at sailboats, so knowing I would be spending my time away from the hotel I wanted to save some money. Tamarind Club is close to the airport and cost effective for BVI, however, a cab ride to anywhere you would want to go is going to cost about $25.00. The pool is well done and even has a little swim up bar. It is set back in the trees away from everything, so it is very peaceful. The food is really good off the menu. The provide some toast and boiled eggs complementary for breakfast, so don't get your hopes up in the morning. The hidden gem of the place is the proximity to Joshua's Bay and beach. Very nice beach that usually only gets locals. I went for a morning swim and was the only person on the beach. Great place to read a book or catch some sun. The staff was very nice.

Room Tip: Get a room without a sliding glass door as the entry way.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Cody C
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Saw some less than great reviews and just had to chime in. I just booked our 4th stay here and this time for 9 people, two families. This is a spectacular find in Tortola. We are boat charterers and have spent the night before our charter here whenever possible. It is a short hop from the airport and the marinas.
You look forward to vacation, go through the hassle of travel, luggage, heat and sweat with your luggage, finally arrive at the Tamarind, dump your luggage in the room, hit the swim up bar before you even unpack, Clint makes you the best Rum Punch that you will have in the BVI, and you are officially on vacation. Food is great and everyone in this family run hotel is great. It is true island flavor.
Let me say that this is not the Four Seasons. I love the Four Seasons and I love this place. They are just two different experiences. If you are looking for a pedicure, massage by Jacques, not a single area of chipped paint on the wall, and an entirely pristine resort experience, then you should go elsewhere. Having everything perfect is not the idea.
Having the family arrange for a taxi to pick you up (without even asking), having a beautiful pool and swim up bar with a bartender who trusts you to settle up in the morning, having an excellent meal, and playing trivia with the local expats is the idea. I would not recommend this for a week. However, for 1 to 3 days for a couple or family who wants a nice island hotel, it is not to be missed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank RKaziii
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tortola
Sebastian's on the Beach
#1 of 1 in Beef Island
Maria's by the Sea
Maria's by the Sea
#3 of 13 in Road Town

Been to The Tamarind Club? Share your experiences!