“Terrible stay in a terrible hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tortola
Treasure Isle Hotel
Ranked #24 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I can only conclude that the two previous reviews were referring to a different hotel altogether!

Initially the hotel looks good. As the other reviews mention, it is recently refurbished, the general decor is good and the rooms are a good size and nicely furnished. Sadly that is where the good news ends.

Having travelled 17 hours to get to the hotel, a shower was in order after unpacking. Unfortunately it was a cold shower as there was not hot water. When I mentioned this to the receptionist later, she said that my room was just a long way from the boiler and I needed to run the hot tap for 15 minutes!!! Tortola has seen very little rain in recent months and running a shower for 15 minutes is probably not the best use of their precious resources!

The hotel does not have wifi, although it does have wired internet access in the rooms. When you get your bill at the end of your stay, there will be a USD18 charge PER DAY for this facility, apparently whether you use it or not!

Shower morning 1 and I decided to give the 15 minute theory a go. Still no hot water and cold shower number 2. Breakfast moring 1 even less successful. Itwas to be a quick affair as I had to be gone by 7.20am. Apparently breakfast doesn't start until 7.30am and the staff in the restaurant refused to make any allowances for my early start.

I managed to avoid the hotel for the rest of the day, although I did note that whoever had refurbished my room had forgotten to finish painting one wall.

Shower and breakfast morning 2 were the breaking point for me. Still no hot water for the shower. I managed to get to breakfast for the right time to discover I was the only guest. In fact I think I was the only guest in the hotel at this point! I ordered porridge and toast. It took 30 minutes to arrive, the porridge being hot enough to burn your mouth and almost completely inedible, while the toast was stone cold.

Enough is enough. I've given it a chance, but execpt for the decor and the furnishing, the hotel has absolutely nothing going for it. Not only wouldn't I recommend it to a friend, I would recommend it to an enemy!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Boris73

Reviewed 1 May 2010

This hotel is a gem, especially for business travellers. Lots of room so you can truly unwind after a hard day's work. Definitely request the suite; fabulous decor. Room service selections were very tasty. Front desk staff are extremely helpful and courteous. This hotel ranks up there with the best of the best, considering that I travel 3 weeks per month, this is definitely one of the best stays I've had in a long while. If you opt to stay in a cheaper room, those are great as well since hotel is recenlty remodeled.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2010

My husband and I stayed at Treasure Isle the night before catching a flight home and after chartering a sail boat for a week. The hotel is just a few blocks from The Moorings and several other charter operators so the location was perfect for us. The hotel was remodeled in November 2009 and the rooms were nice, new and had lovely views of the harbor. The bed was especially comfortable. Every member of the hotel staff was helpful and friendly. We ate at the hotel - Veranda - the food and service were excellent and there is a nice view of the pool and harbor. The coconut shrimp was delicious! The hotel is built into a bluff above the harbor and on a busy street but the rooms are set back so there was no traffic noise. The hotel is walking distance to the charter docks but guests would probably want a car to downtown or other locations on the island.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank work_vacation_repeat
Reviewed 8 April 2008

We stayed for a whole week in Treasure Isle at the end of March. The hotel was really clean, and within 5 minute walk from the Village Cay Marina. It had a very nice view from the room. BUT the hotel is still under construction. There is no beach located near the hotel so if you are looking for that, then you won't find it at this hotel. The pool was clean and average size and no one was ever swimming in it. And to be honest I hardly saw another visitor stayting there the entire week, i swear we were the only ones there, even though they told us on the phone that they were sold out for the entire week and it was the last room available. One of the downfalls is that the hotel is still under construction and one of the days I went to lay by the pool and read and the construction from the hotel was SO loud that I couldn't even relax and read my book by the pool. There was a constant pounding and jack hammering and buzzing and I actually got up and left after an hour be/c I couldn't take it anymore. Another down fall is that the restuarant area tells you that they do not include a tip in the bill, so we were leaving tips everyday, but then when we checked out at the end of the week, they had added a tipping charge not only for the room, but for every day we ate in the restaurant. And the service is REALLLY slow in the restaurant and we were the only ones in there almost everyday. Not sure what that is about? Overall our trip was good since we were out most of the day. but if you are going to relax by the pool and not do much, then i would wait for the construction to be done in about 6 months or so be/c the noise is very distracting.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 14 July 2007

This hotel is absolutely gorgeous and although its still under construction. I just can not wait to see what it looks like when al is put together. Its price is a bit high but u get every dollar worth and yes the restaurant only serves breakfast,at least thats what they did when i stayed there but their staff has excellent customer service attitude they are polite,amusing and kind and in the end thats whats important. They called my room everynight to ensure that all is well before the end of their shift,which i thought was very thoughtful and they evne came up to my room when my laptop was giving problem to connect to the internet. Oh and by the way you get free internet access there and the location is so convenient which makes it very easy to get transportation to and from desired destinations. I cant wait to visit Treasure Isle again next year.

Way to go guys on a job well done! Congrats!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 23 May 2007

This hotel is terribly overpriced ..... I paid $290per night and it was under major reconstruction. The restaurant was closed, the pool was vacated & I was about the only person there!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
4  Thank rickjones48
Reviewed 8 April 2007

My husband, my two kids and I stay for a night on Spring Break because our boat was in reparation. The hotel was in renovation but there was rooms available. The room was beatiful, nice beds and beatiful bath. I stay in other hotels at the island and this was very good and near the marinas. The service was excellent and very polite. The staff was very attend with the childrens. They have a nice pool. I recommend to choose a room in the upper part of the hotel because of the noisy road in front of the hotel.

Stayed: April 2007