“It is still our Home away from Home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tortola
Mongoose Apartments
Ranked #2 of 7 Tortola B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We returned from our 10th trip to Tortola and the Mongoose Apartments the first of Nov. Each time we complete the 20 plus hour trip from the Mongoose to our home we say, "this is probably the last trip" and then as time heals our travel wounds we say, "one more time". Hugs from Sandra, Michelle and Eli once again tell us the travel trama was worth it. We are at our home away from home!
Over the years we have watched the Mongoose develop and grow and the desire to make your stay pleasant has been maintained at the highest level. Sandra still makes it happen.
This is a great place to get married on the beach and also a wonderful place for a quiet honeymoon. At 70+ years of age and 50 plus years of marriage we still feel like we are on a honeymoon when we are at the Mongoose.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed the new apartments #7 & 8
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SamSmo1938

Reviewed 5 October 2012

I stayed yet again for 8 days in July 2012 and yes it has taken me a little time to write a review. Mongoose still has a great location at the best end of the beach. The facilities are as good as ever. This place is always well maintained which is probably tough in the Caribbean climate. I was looking at the outside this time (hey Cane Garden Bay is very quiet, laid back and you start to notice odd things after a few days of winding down from mainland life) and remember thinking how it looks like the outside has always just been painted. You can read what I have said previously about Mongoose and it still holds good. They owners are very nice and the place has everything you need if you want to cook and eat in (except a microwave - that is one omission). I love the BVI for it's sailing, sea and beaches. I often look at other places to stay but if I am onshore and want to wind down then it's hard to beat CGB and specifically Mongoose.

CGB is still as beautiful as ever. The sea and beach really are gorgeous. It is not a place with hot nightspots but the few bars can have some great evening music entertainment and dancing where people let their hair down. The Elm Beach Bar did have a great band this summer - of course there's Myett's and Quito's too but the guys at Elm were one of the best I have seen ad I live in a music city. Note the nightlife does wind down even more from August onwards.

Room Tip: Choose a high room. Yes you do have to walk up the outside stairs but then you look straight at tree...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank GE1Texas
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We just returned from our first visit to the BVI's and absolutely loved our stay on Tortola at the Mongoose Apartments. For anyone who truly "gets" the Caribbean, this is the perfect place for a relaxing break from reality. The apartments are surrounded by lush trees and tropical plants and is just minutes from one of the nicest beaches around with a multitude of beach bars and restaurants. The apartments themselves each have a wonderful open air balcony that we enjoyed each morning while we had our coffee and toast. The fully equipped kitchens have everything one would need to make a full meal although with so many choices so close, we ended up eating most of our meals elsewhere. We went in January and never once did we feel the need to use the AC in the bedrooms. The breeze fthrough the screened windows along with the ceiling fan kept the room comfortable and we honestly had some of best sleep we have had in years. There is something about a tropical setting that allows one to totally relax. Finally, we have to say that Sandra, the owner, is an absolutely amazing host who will do everything she can to make sure your truly enjoy your stay. From making dinner reservations to calling a taxi, we enjoyed our morning talks with Sandra and cannot wait to return, hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HardyA34
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We have traveled to dozens of islands all over the world. Mongoose is one of the few places my wife and I keep coming back to. It is restful, relaxing and real. The apartments are large and comfortable. They are simple and open to the outdoors. The lanai is a great spot to drink coffee, eat, read or do nothing. The grounds are lush and well tended. The apartments are thoughtfully furnished with all the necessities for a vacation. The owners, Sandra and Ellie, are there when you need them, while being non–intrusive and respectful of their guests’ privacy. The office has a great library and Wi-Fi. Mongoose is set back a few hundred yards from the beach behind dense vegetation. At the beach, the owners keep chairs, floats, kayaks etc. for guests’ use.

At Mongoose, we can cook or grill our meals, or eat out as we please. We simply stroll down the beach for meals, drinks, live music and maybe some dancing We’ve found we don’t need a car unless we want to do some exploring. All the essentials are available in Cane Garden Bay. For a wider selection of groceries or gifts, we’ve either rented a car for the day to shop in Roadtown, or asked Sandra to arrange a taxi to pick us up when we arrive and stop on the way to pick up groceries.

The only serpent in the garden though, is the cruise ships, whose passengers plague Cane Garden Bay and every island that allows them. Cane Garden Bay can become crowded from 11 to 3 on the days when the ships are in. Sandra will advise of the schedule, and recommend places to explore during these times. Otherwise, Cane Garden Bay has more pelicans than people. As an independent traveller couple, we think this the best place to stay in the Virgin Islands and a great value. We are always happy to arrive at Mongoose and never feel ready to leave.

Room Tip: we like the top floor
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I have stayed here several times, usually a week at a time.

Mongoose is at the best (quieter) end of a beautiful Bay. Access to the beach is via a trail through what I think is an old coconut plantation. Note there can be there can be bugs en route to the beach as on land in many places in the BVI and Caribbean generally.

The service by Sandra and Elroy at Mongoose has always been great for me. They are always there if you need them but never intrusive. I got great help and advice during an impending Tropical storm / hurricane last year. However don't let the thought major storms bother you - they rarely hit Tortola.

Mongoose apartments have pretty much all the facilities you need and the pretty well stocked grocery store is close by. I find the rooms very Caribbean and most suitable for the indoor / outdoor life close to the sea. (I am glad there are no carpets). I understand another review's comment about the a/c but I have not experienced problems in the past. In fact I do not usually run it even in summer, especially if you have a high room. I have stayed in quite a few hotels in Tortola (as well as boats) and can honestly say that for the price it is amongst the best values. As part of my escape from the storm mentioned above I did (due to airport and airline closures) stay for two nights at one of the better hotels around Road Town last year but wished I was back in C.G.B.

Cane Garden Bay is a wonderful place to decompress from the outside world but at Mongoose you still have some of the civilized trappings such as Cable TV and WiFi if you need them. Note cruise ship tours do not come to the bay that often. Anyway they tend to stay at the other end near the restaurant bars and are not there for very long. The water in CGB is beautiful, very calm clear.

Room Tip: Choose a high room for the air, ambiance and views of the trees and hills but there are quite a few...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank GE1Texas
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My wife and I recently spent 10 days around Thanksgiving staying at the Mongoose Apartments. This marked our 8th or 9th time staying with Sandra. It's hard to keep track. The apartments have everything we need, and give us the ability to eat in if we desire. Breakfast on the balcony enjoying the scenery, and yes listening to the roosters, makes you feel part of the island experience you don't get at some mega-resort. We have thought about other vacation spots, but are always drawn back to Mongoose. There is just this relaxed vibe about the place, and the proximity to the beach is fantastic. A 3 minute walk down the road and you are at one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean with a half dozen bars and restaurants within walking distance. A 2 hour lunch with some conch fritters and a few cold ones at Stanleys makes for a good afternoon break. We even found "rum glazed turkey" on Thanksgiving @ Bananakeet. I agree with the other reviewers about renting a vehicle while you are there. Sandra is great about listing when the cruise ships will be in port, and the approximate size of the ships. Cane Garden Bay is a big attraction for cruise ship shore excursions, so we would usually take the vehicle and go to Brewers Bay, Josiahs Bay, or Smugglers Cove for a more relaxed beach experience. We have nothing against cruises. We just took one in May, 2011 which happened to stop @ Tortola. We rented a cab and took our friends to meet Sandra and to see Mongoose. When we think about future vacations, Tortola and the Mongoose Apartments are never far from our thoughts.

Room Tip: Rooms 4 or 6 unless we're staying in them!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2012

My wife and I really wanted a different vacation, somewhere that we felt like we could explore. The BVI is great for that and you are able to escape the commercialism of some of the other islands in the Caribbean. The mongoose apartments are a very nice alternative to a big hotel but the lack in amenities are very obvious. The room was great, double doors that you could open and experience the island air, and plenty of room. The kitchen was well stocked with cooking necessities as well as the bathroom. Our bed was comfy, however if sleep is a problem for you this may not be the place to stay. The roosters are cute for the first and maybe second day but after that get rather annoying. We did opt to pay for ac because it was quite warm when we were there in march and that ac didn't blow cold air. These are probably the biggest two problems that I noticed but I am super picky about room climate and noise because of insomnia. There were some bugs in the room, but this is somewhat to be expected with the openness that is desired.

The location is only a few hundred yards from the beach which happens to be a great spot. There were virtually no people on the beach for most of the days that we were on the island, except for the day the "cruisers" were docked. Sandra was very helpful with information about when we should do our exploring to avoid the masses.

If you go, do yourself a favor and rent a 4x4 vehicle and drive around the island. Some of the best beaches that we found took a bit of exploration. Driving isn't that hard, don't read to much into the reviews about it. Also make sure you go to Banana Keet for dinner at sunset. Definitely a sunset I will never forget and probably never duplicate.

Overall I think the Mongoose apartments are pretty darn good, however, for what you did actually get in relation to other properties I think they are a bit overpriced. If you are looking for that place off the beaten path this might be the place for you.

Room Tip: We were in the room on the top floor on the right when your looking at the main property. slightly...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple