“Wonderful friendly staff, delightfully clean.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Icis Villas

Icis Villas
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
Vancouver Island, B.C.
“Wonderful friendly staff, delightfully clean.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2010

We stayed at the three bedroom villa with my son and his wife, and my sister and her husband after we finished a sailboat charter. Although we arrived shortly after Hurricane Thomas blew past, and they had sustained some damage, road washed out and pool not functioning etc., we were really impressed by how hard the staff worked to make our stay enjoyable. My daughter and her husband had actually booked to stay there before the charter rather than afterwards like the rest of us. But they were not able to stay because the damage had not yet been repaired. Icis staff was good enough to call them in Canada to let them know ahead of time, so they could find alternate accommodations, and as my daughter and her husband were also planning on staying at Icis for one night after the charter before they had to fly home, they gave them that night for free to make up for any inconvenience. They stayed in one of the rooms on the second floor which also included a kitchenette with a nice balcony, and their room was delightful too. As mentioned in previous reviews, this is not an elegant or plush hotel. But we weren't looking for that kind of experience. We wanted a quiet relaxing retreat. We got that, along with a short walk to Brewers Bay where we pretty much had the beach to ourselves most of the time. Icis Villas certainly is charming, our accommodations were very clean, and the staff bent over backwards for us. So I have to say that it is a fantastic value for your money!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank bouttime75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2010

PLEASE NOTE, I never actually stayed here.

Seven weeks ago, a group of friends and I decided to take a trip together. We booked four rooms. The management was sweet over the phone and responsive. However, I started to notice things that made me uncomfortable.

First, I authorized the manager to debit my card for one night (as a deposit) however, he debited two nights. I let it go because I planned on running up a bill and the extra money he charged (without my consent) would be deducted from my final balance.

35 days before I was due to leave, I found that I could no longer go so I called the hotel and cancelled my reservation. My friends were still going. I also sent an email to Malcolm (the manager who took my original reservation) I repeated everything in an email I said in my message to the woman who answered the phone I told him again to cancel my reservation.

Days passed, I wrote again three times and I received no reply.

I called from the states and I was left on hold for 20 minutes a couple of times. I since have tried to call the hotel many at different times of the day and there was never an answer. I finally thought to try my cell phone and sure enough this time the desk answered.

Again I requested to cancel my room, again I asked for a confirmation, NOTHING.

I waited a few days and called from yet another phone and I reached Malcolm. He said that he was sorry I was cancelling because he was looking forward to meeting me. I told him that I sent him four emails and he had yet to respond. He said his hard drive crashed. So I asked him about my phone messages, he said that he tried to reach me but there was never an answer. That's a lie. I gave him the number to my cell phone, I carry it with me all the time. Even if I were sleeping, it would go into voice mail.

I then said, let's not focus on that, "Please refund my money." He then said that he would have to get back to me. I reminded him that I cancelled my reservation 35 days before I was expected and he had no legal right to do what he is doing. Plus it was rude and unprofessional.

I can't believe people act this way. Shame on them. Fortunately, my credit card company assures me that I will get my money back but I felt an obligation to warn others. This kind of behavior is vile and they deserve to go out of business.

Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
14 Thank bfeuerman
Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2010

We were quite disappointed in our accommodations. The place is not kept up at all. Repairs are poorly done, carpet is old and our room was dark and quite musty. Screens were torn and our room was full of mosquitoes. The owner is expanding but not maintaining what they have. However, the staff was delightful and did the best they could. The place is highly over priced.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2009

We've stayed at Icis Villas on three different occasions in three different seasons
(the weather is always wonderful, and has unique variations).
The accommodations were relaxing and homey and said 'welcome'.
After a nice breakfast in the al fresco dining room, we could relax at the pool, or
take a short walk through the mangos and palms to Brewers Bay beach - a tranquil
crescent of sand and sea that invites your calm.
Drinks and an excellent dinner in Icis wonderful atmosphere complete another day
in the serenity that brought us to the BVI.
Go, and stay, and return again as we have.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank quebecers09
Upstate NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2009

If you are into resort /spa amenities stay some place else. But,if you want a laid-back island experience this place is great. The staff & owners are very friendly, the place is spotlessly clean, and it is a short walk from beautiful Brewers Bay. We plan to come back again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank mommacat5
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

They don't publish it, but the cancellation policy is "We keep all money you give us no matter what". We paid a substantial deposit and had to cancel our trip weeks in advance. That was the first time we heard that they keep all the money. We are very disappointed and would NEVER book with a company with a policy like that. You've been warned! I got NOTHING for all my money!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank julielyn
Southwestern US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2009

It's a lovely spot in the green jungle, only a few minutes' walk from a clean, uncrowded beach on a lovely bay. Continental breakfast is attractively provided, and you can order the evening meal, which is great. Good burgers are available at the tiny beach shop. The kitchens are very adequate for anything you want to prepare yourself. Bring your food; it's a long drive or an expensive taxi ride. That's part of the benefit--it's far from the tourist crowds.

The rooms are cleaned every day. The hosts made efforts to accomodate our wishes--even--somehow--eliminating the rooster who chose to crow at 2:30 AM every morning until we expressed a frustrated complaint. We found personal service, an introduction to island foods, and a warm welcome. If you want ritzy surroundings and a fast pace, go elsewhere. If you enjoy a quiet place in a natural environment, this is for you.

• Liked — Cleanliness, good beds, facility hidden from public view
  • Disliked — Needs a little maintenance
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)