“dream wedding (for those laid back brides)”
Review of Myett's Garden Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tortola
Myett's Garden Inn
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
Reviewed 11 December 2009

We got married in the BVI in November and had quite the flotilla of 10 catamarans. My fiance and I chose Myetts (not many venues can accommodate 70+ people). We had the best time! The cruise ship was in that day so there were a few tourists hanging around, but Myett's kindly set aside space for our guests and did a nice job setting up the tables and arrangements. They cleared all the tacky sun chairs and umbrellas off the beach which helped the wedding planner arrange an "aisle". The food was awesome (heavy appetizers) and the music they arranged worked for our crowd. The staff was terrific and handled our rum-filled crowd graciously. Our room that night was also great (AC!) It had everything but a TV, which is perfect. I would suggest this place for any event, or a short trip but be cautious of the cruise ships. Their beach is beautiful but there are other, more remote places I'd pick over a cruise-ship packed beach (not so pretty... but great people watching!) Cute gift shop too!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 August 2009

We recently travelled to the British Virgin Islands with another couple. Our main mission was to charter a yacht and spend a week visiting the islands. In order to acclimate ourselves to the area, we decided to spend the first few days on Tortola and found a slice of heaven at Cane Garden Bay. Valerie and the staff at Myett's were as nice and helpful as could be. We rented a car as the cab fares would have easily been as much and would not have given us the freedom we enjoy. There are only 6 rooms and ours were very nice, clean and comfortable. The rooms are nestled into a canopy of trees so you can barely see the water which is only steps away, but coffee on the balcony was so relaxing. The only issue was the noise from the locals, who seem to party all night long, at least on the weekends. Quitos up the beach goes late into the night and while you couldn't really hear the band from the room, the spill over crowd wandering the beach got a bit raucus. I would recommend a driving tour in Tortola as there is a nice eco trail and rain forrest at the top of the mountain. (The restaurant at the trail head there, which was in the tour book as recommended, has no real view and didn't seem appealing to us.) I would recommend Myett's highly.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Merfco
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We arrived at Myetts Cane Garden Bay on August 1, 2009. Having been to Cane Garden Bay before I knew this was the best place to stay in the area. However I read some reviews and became a little nervous. Here is the scoop:
1) Expectations: Set them low and high at the same time. Cane Garden Bay and Tortola for that matter are not very developed. I am sure there are some very nice resorts somewhere on the island but this is not the place to go if you are looking to be waited on hand and foot and have a brand new room. If you are looking for that DON'T GO. However if you are looking for simplicity, an escape from the busy life, the ability to make friends with the locals and natural beauty this is your place!
2) Rooms: The rooms are spacious but somewhat old. However they take very good care of them and keep them very clean. The maid comes daily and replaces everything, including your sheets (if you request it). Upon arrival you will find a complimentary bottle of rum and coke in your fridge ( a very nice gesture). In the room you have one tv, bed, fridge, sink, counter, table, and couch. The cable tv does not work but the tvs have built in dvds and they have a ton of dvds down in the front office. But lets face it....you are not coming here to watch tv!!!!! This is not a huge hotel and I would guess there are only 10-15 hotel rooms.
3) Staff: To understand the staff you need to understand the people of the Carribean. They are very laid back, yet respectful and nice. If you treat them with respect they will do the same. This is not just at Myetts its all over the island. If you are staying for a week, you will definitely come to know the staff and the locals, which I found especially fun. I feel as though we have a place in the islands where we know people and they know us, which will be great when we come back. The desk staff are very courteous and helpful. They have a free phone for you to use and will always be willing to assist with arranging cabs and other transportation. I spoke to them daily and they always remembered my name and always had a smile!!!!!
4) Food/Bar: The food at Myetts was good but not GREAT. Honestly I think it is the best you are going to do on the island though. Be warned it can get pricey to. My reccomendation is to go across the street to Bobbys and buy your breakfast food (cereal, OJ, toast et cetera) and that will save you a ton right from the beginning. If you are planning on staying in the area for lunch, Bobby's also sells Deli meats. Its honestly a fully stock grocery store, you can GET ANYTHING THERE. The food anywhere on the island is just OK and it is all pricey but I definitely would rate Myetts as the best. The bar is great! Drinks are cheap and the happy hour specials are awesome. Two bartenders handle the place, Prince and Karen. They warm up to you once you get to know them a bit. I thought they were great and tought me a lot about the island and culture.
5) Cabs: They can be pricey and cheap. They don't use meters, for the most part they just make up the prices. Myetts has two drivers Sandman and sometimes Prince. Sandman we were told was expensive. However I didn't find him unreasonable and I thought he was fun to talk too. Figure $20-$25 to go to Road Town or West End. Prince (yes the bartender) however was my favorite driver because if you get to know him he will give you a thorough tour of the island and is never in a rush. He taught us a lot about Tortola and even took us to the Bomba Shack for a drink.
5) Weather: It rains every day and every night but only for a little bit. Its actually a relief from the hot sun. The sun is intense and the heat can get to you. BRING PLENTY OF SUN BLOCK and apply every two-three hours.
6) Time of Year to Go: September to early October is Hurricane season so be careful, plus a lot of stuff is closed. End of October to mid may is the peak tourist season and everything seems to be open and packed. However I much prefer June - August. This is the quietest time of year and you can't be guaranteed that everything is open but you can be guaranteed to have a quiet, peaceful vacation. On certain days we were the only ones on the beach...how awesome is that.
7) Day Trips: Tortola is a small island and Myetts is in a great location. While visiting be sure to walk down the beach to Quitos one evening (hopefully he is playing). During the day you can take a ferry trip (Use Speedys in Road Town) to Virgin Gorda and the Baths, check out the Caves, Indians, Willy-T and White Bay (all can be done by contacting the charter company BlueSailBVI.com) contact them about a week out and make arrangements with Captain Bill. He is great! Its a small company with a lot of knowledge. It will cost you about $80 for a full day but that includes the locations, snacks and beer, water and soda. Also make sure you head over to Smugglers Cove. Don't drive yourself, take a cab and make sure you get a number from the driver or call Myetts when you are ready to leave. There is so much more to do but I feel as though these are the highlights.

Conclusion:
Sorry for all of the typos!!! Tortola is awesome, and Myetts is an incredible place. I love it and look forward to going back. Seriously ignore the bad review. I don't feel like those are typical experiences. If you are looking for 5 star luxury don't come here and don't go to Tortola. If you are looking for natural beauty, some of the best looking beaches in the world, crystal clear water, tons of sealife and friendly people this is the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Firemansta151
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Spent 4 nights in room #1 with my wife in June. Made reservations directly with the hotel. Process was smooth and professional. Required a 20% deposit to hold room (better than many of the other locations). When we arrived in BVI it was simple to grab a taxi at the airport for a very pleasant and scenic ride. Cost was $45.00 + tip.

The room:
Check in was smooth. We requested room #1 because reviewers mentioned it has a small view of the ocean. It does. The room faces the ocean, but trees block most of the view and importantly give shade and privacy. All the rooms seem to have nice balconies overlooking the courtyard or a partial view of the beach. Our deck had a small table with 2 chairs and 2 lounge chairs. The deck was very comfortable. The room is large by any standard. It has a table, chairs, couch and chair and a nice king size bed. The bed was comfortable-just firm enough. The air conditioner keeps the room at a perfect temperature . The shower is well lit and gives plenty of water at a temperature you can easily set. The room is very clean. Housekeeping does a great job. The room does show signs of wear. A few of the tiles a cracked, some of the outlet covers are missing or cracked. Even with the wear, the room is clean. There is a small coffee pot, sugar, coffee, milk in the mini fridge and a bottle of rum. That is a great touch. The owners seem thoughtful. The room was very quiet with no outside noises. Noise will not keep you from sleeping.

The location:

On the beach at Cane Garden Bay. The water was very calm when we were there. We went swimming each morning and there were no real waves through out the day. What a great place to relax. There were lounge chairs(no charge when we were there) just outside the bar area on the beach, and we spent plenty of time on the chairs, walking the beach, and swimming (floating at least). There were no cruise ships when were there so the beach was almost empty. The harbor has sailboats, surrounding hills (to look at), great sand, warm water-what is not to like. All of this is really relaxing-until 5:00 PM.

Nightlife:

We started each evening in the Bar at Myett's. The bar overlooks and is adjacent to the beach. Happy hour with very cold Carib beer ($2.00 for a bottle) a great view, a local band playing from 5:00-8:00 each night, and great people. The bar attracts cruisers off the sail boats, hotel guests and locals. Yes, folks who live and work there as well as expats. Myett's bar is an expat kind of place. The folks there were interesting to meet. Lets face it, if you leave home and move to the Virgin Islands you have to at least be interesting, fun and who knows maybe even wanted by the law ( just kidding). I don't mean to say the place is rowdy, it isn't, but it is fun.

Friday night we went to Quito's. What a great place. Music starts at 10:00 and the music is great. Quito performs and he is outstanding. You will probably buy a CD. We were there with many over 45 year olds until a little after midnight. We were getting tired (after a lot of dancing) and the place started getting quiet as many of the over 45 crowd started to leave. Then something started happening. The place started filling up with 20-40 year olds-a new crowd and a new party. Never mind, we were to tired and went back to the room so we could get up a sunrise and enjoy a walk on the beach. Quito's has music several nights a week, but Friday seems best.

On Sunday nights go to the Elm after happy hour at Myett's. There is a great Jazz and popular music 3 piece band that is good. There is a BBQ event there Sunday's.

Msc:

We planned to rent a car while we were there. CGB was so much fun we didn't get around to it. A grocery store, local bakery, internet service and a lending library at Myett's, and many restaurants are all right there. From CGB we scheduled a quiet spot on VG for a week so we were looking for the atmosphere that Myett's and CGB provided for the first portion of our trip.

Myett's has character . The whole atmosphere is fun. You are on your own to have a good time there, and it is easy to do.

Cane Garden Bay is a small area. When you read descriptions of places across the road or up the hill it sounds like a long walk. It isn't. Across the road is across a small road with no real traffic. Everything is close and within easy walking distance (minutes).

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rtw5292
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I spent many wonderful years living on Tortola and in Cane Garden Bay. The Rhymers were my family, and Myetts was JOJO Nanny's home away from home !!! God bless all my old pals at myettes. They treated me as a family member. I met the greatest people at Myetts too. I love them all ! Incase anyone is wondering when and if I will return to Myettes again. God willing, I will be back this winter for my 60th Birthday !!! Thanks for loving me all those years ! (ps) Need I say more ??? Go there,......you won't be sorry ! Jo-Ann Hanscom from Cape Cod, Ma. Sandman, Kereem, Val, and all !!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank puicapecod
Reviewed 11 May 2009

The staff is top notch including the owners Val, Karime, and Sandman. Drinks and food are great. Rooms are nice. You just can not beet the location and value of this place. I truly is a little slice of heaven.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ross S
Reviewed 20 March 2009

Stayed here for New Year's Eve '09 (the off to Antigua). I rate it "very good," not because it is a posh resort, but because of the value. For your money you get a nice little room (clean, but no frills), a bottle of rum, some pretty good food, a lively bar with great drinks and a fun authentic Caribbean atmosphere. For those who are looking for the Mandarin Oriental this is not it - but for the adventurous who just want a nice, safe place to rest your head while you are exploring Tortola, this is it!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple