“great value, great location, wonderful people”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tortola
Sun Set Vacation Apartments
Reviewed 19 March 2013

On a recent girls trip I shared a two bedroom apartment with a friend. The space was small but great for us to share for a week. Any more than two and it would have been crowded. The bathroom was tiny (and no outlet in there nor was there a hairdryer in the room). The apartment was quite dated but it was spotless and the property manager and housekeeper were both lovely and hospitable. For a cost of $70 per night each this was a steal. I am sure most would probably not deem this property suitable for them but it was booked full of regulars who spend a month or two there each winter. They all knew each other and meeting them and getting to know them was fantastic. Also, the quaint BVI properties are what keep me coming back. I must prefer this type of lodging over large hotels.

The location can't be beat. The far end of Cane Garden Bay...a short walk to the beach and bars at night but far enough that the music won't disturb you if you come in early. It was safe to walk after dark either on the beach or along the road. It was each to catch a ride from the Bay to other places on the island without having to pay taxi fare or for a rental vehicle.

We would definitely stay here again and would recommend this property to others!

Room Tip: The two bedroom unit on the first floor is front and center. If you can secure the upstairs unit I...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank lindsayandchris
There are newer reviews for Sun Set Vacation Apartments

Reviewed 7 March 2013

We have stayed at the Sun Set Vacation Apartments for our last 4 trips to Cane Garden Bay in Tortola. The location is just across the street from one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. The apartment includes a kitchen furnished with plates, cookware, and utensils. There is a full refrigerator, microwave, and propane stove. There is air conditioning in the bedroom. The hotel is always clean, inside and out. Best of all, the family that operates Sun Set is warm, welcoming, and always helpful. They also operate a small store that is really convenient for beverages, toiletries, etc. We have been very happy and will continue to stay at Sun Set for as long as we continue to visit Cane Garden Bay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarilynMilwaukee
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I've been going down to Cane Garden Bay since the mid-80's. The last 8 or so trips I booked @ the Sun Set Vacation Appts. with Rose, Columbus, and their very capable innkeeper son, Sky. These people get it !! What's offered to renters is a clean room, nothing fancy, with a beautiful view, perfectly located, on-site owners who care, and a reasonable price. After a couple of days you find yourself going out of your way to say "hi" to this trio, because that's what they're doing to you. People who don't like this place are clinically brain-dead !!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank nonsmoker66
Reviewed 12 July 2012

The location is off the charts. I'm afraid to give too high of a review because I don't EVER want to be unable to stay there because it has become over booked & over crowded. Best bay on Tortola for EVERYTHING - snorkeling, water sports (kayak, paddle boats, various types of biat excursions), car rental, hiking, dining, entertainment, relaxation, sunbathing, reading, worship, revisiting friends & making new ones...all here! I've made this my vacation destination for over 12 years.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Simply the place to be in Cane Garden Bay. My husband first discovered these wonderfully individual apartments when he worked in BVI in 2001 and we have been coming back every year. No, they are not the most up to date, boutique style accomodation around, but their quirky, retro originality is enhanced by the warm welcome from the onsite owners, the few paces across to the superb beach, the stroll to everything else Cane Garden Bay has to offer, the convenient little store and bar next door (great to send the husband to whilst you are getting ready) and the overall feeling of really being a part of the island community.
When we stay there, over Christmas and New Year, maid service is every day, with fresh linen every three days and towels more often. The apartment are quite big, with individual balconies on the ground floor and a shared veranda running the full length of the first floor. The grassed front garden is well kept and supplied with sun loungers, tables and chairs and a BBQ grill for the guests - should the additional twenty steps to the beach feel too arduous!
What we really like is the interesting mix of people we meet when staying, locals popping into Columbus Sunset Bar, families - who like us, come back year after year, surfer dudes and couples of all ages from all across the world.
The apartments have pretty much everything you would need - and if they don't, you only have to ask. Although you do need to bring your own hairdryer! A real bonus, considering the sometimes unreliable electricity, is that the apartments have their own generator which ensures the air conditioning and fridges are reliable at all times.
If you want ultra chic luxury then perhaps these are not the apartments for you. If however, you want to experience a Caribbean beachside holiday in a quiet, comfortable, friendly apartment, for exceptionally good value - Sunset Vacation Apartments await you - we have already booked for our next visit!

Room Tip: The apartments to each end of the block on both floors are more private.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Seventh trip to Tortola. This is the best value in Cane Garden Bay, best beach on Tortola! The location has AC and is well kept, clean, and just yards from the beautiful white sand and turquois waters. Walking distance to anywhere in the bay. Maid service is every 3rd day. A small store and bar with any of your basic needs is next door. The owners are always available and provide jeep and local phone rentals to guests which is a nice amenity. All rates are excellent! If you desire luxury then this may not be the place for you; however, if you want a clean, quiet, comfortable 1 or 2 BR efficiency across from the beach...you can't beat this anywhere on the island! We can't wait to return in a few years.

Room Tip: For a great view of the beach, stay upstairs!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank FrequentTravlr15
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I'm not the resort type but this place really is too dated for my taste. As a frequent traveler, I am big on value, which is why I like these small establishments. Here are a few negatives about this place: If you think you can live with it then by all means stay here because the price can't be beat.
First, this place has an old smell to it. Everything from the linens to the couch are old. I am almost reluctant to put my head down on the pillow. In fact, I put my own face towel over it because I just didn't feel comfortable. The shower didn't look very clean so we wore our sandals in it. The nob in the shower does work but it falls off from time to time. We stayed for 2 night but no one came to clean the room or change out our beach towels.
If you can overlook these negatives, there are a lot of positives. For example, the apartment is quite big. They provide you with beach chairs, beach towels and you have a separate room with a kitchen, full size fridge, dinning table, couch and a TV. Pretty much everything you need. It was also nice to have the store next to the apartment. The location is also very good. It is in the quiet area but walkable to all the restaurants, bars and beach (Cane Garden Bay). You also get somewhat of an ocean view from the balcony.
We were there in May so it was already off season and there was no one else staying there. I did see a BBQ grill but we did not use it.
All in all, I am glad that we stayed in Cane Garden Bay but I wish I would have spent a little more on the accommodation and stay at the Lighthouse Villas down the street.
Check out Sailor's Rest, it has pretty good food and they have free wifi. Best of all, it has an view during sunset.

Room Tip: For a better view, stay upstair.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple