See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 July 2016

They lied to us. We had a flight early in the morning and we asked them what time they serve breakfast. They told us 7 am. We had a flight at 10 am... we stop at the restaurant at 7:30 am and they still closed, 8 am and they still closed. Not even the worker for the front desk was there.. We saw a few guest leaving and complaing about there was not even coffee available... We left hungry to the airport.... The place now is run by Indians (from Indian) and they are very lazy and dont care about tourists.. They just want your money and hope you get our their property.. we regret staying in this place so far away for everything... They food option is really bad, only a few items on their menu.. They were super rude to us and even refused to call us a cab.. we had to ask a hotel guest to call us a cab.. Also the door for our bedroom was impossible to open.. DONT GO THERE.. STAY AWAY.. many places to stay much better than this one.. Also do go swim in the beach in that area because there are SHARKS.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank house4salecr
Alberto R, Direttore generale at Turtle Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2016

I don't know who you are and honestly I think you wrong something because this place is own by italians, me I am the manager and I am italian, the chef is italian, other 3 managers are italians and the only indian we have is a cook.... I checked your previous reviews on Tripadvisor and I invite anybody to do that....you find terrible any place where you have been. I don't want comment nothing not because I think we are perfect (very far we are from there) but because I think really you wrong something...and I have many doubt that you have been in this hotel....
Regards!

Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

Had just spent 7 days on the water and needed a little decompression before flying back to Oklahoma so we stayed 1 night at Turtle Bay. Really glad we did. Although the facilities are run down, (new ownership is planning a re model soon). The food, drinks, food, staff, and the location on Lambert Bay. was as good as it gets.

Let's start with the staff. It is my impression that new management is rebuilding the staff from ground up. And they are doing a great job. Thoughtful, compassionate, service oriented people await you at every corner, from the check in desk to the grounds and maintenance guy, all the way to the bar tenders and server staff. We arrived early before check in and they took care of us with out question. When our room was ready came and found us on the grounds gave us a key. They al ready put our luggage in our room.

At the beach bar and restaurant new proprietor Christian McDonald was working hard trying staff while current staff was killing it with great service.

Then the food. Although I don't recommend eating the hamburger, (I had a craving) the rest of the food was 5 star all the way. The risotto with sausage was excellent. Egg plant parmesan was outstanding. Grouper..

I can't imagine going to Tortolla and not staying at Turtle Bay.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Alberto R, Direttore generale at Turtle Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2016

Hi ShankerstienMulligan! Thanks a lot for your review!
All the staff is working hard since the owner (who is not Mr. Christian) took back the property after a period of rent. Very soon we start the real renovation and from December 2016 if you come back you will see a much better resort high standard....and new!
We really hope to have you next year again!
Thanks!

Reviewed 28 June 2016

My wife and I took advantage of a weekend special being offered to Virgin Islands residents and booked a room at this resort for our Anniversary getaway weekend.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect, due to the great price, and the word we'd heard that the place was being renovated.

Fact is, once we found our way (turned out to be a little bit of an adventure due to the road that, from our map appeared to be the one we needed to take being closed due to work) we were delighted to find ourselves at a charming, tranquil, and very beautiful location.

Check in went smoothly and we were led to our beachfront room (in a pod with two adjoining rooms). The grounds, and rooms are just one notch below magnificent in my opinion, but that has to do mostly with their age. Everything was clean and in perfect working order. The bed was extremely comfortable and had good quality sheets, pillows, etc.

The best part was the staff. We were made to feel very welcomed. Service of any kind was always easily available, but never obtrusive.

They gave us the option of private beachfront dining at a gazebo on our anniversary night (we could have also chosen to eat in the restaurant or in our room) and the setting was lovely and quite romantic!

I would love to go back to this place again and again. I imagine it will be absolutely stunning after it is spruced up with the planned renovations, but I (we) loved it just the way it is!

Room tip: Wi-fi is available near the lobby and the restaurant, just not in the rooms.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi augiegator! Thanks for your comment....we are very happy to know that we are on the right way....and after 2017 this will be the best resort in Tortola! We hope to have you here soon!

Reviewed 27 June 2016 via mobile

We decided on Turtle Bay for a bit of R&R after a week and a bit of sailing and couldn't be happier.

Our room was fantastic, with a kitchen, very comfortable bed, living room etc - it was very clean on arrival and housekeeping kept it that way for the duration of our stay.

The beach (only 30m from our room) was stunning, and was just as nice as the highly rated Smugglers Cove at the other end of the island. People said the water here could get a little rough and choppy but it was like glass for us. The chairs and sunshades were a lovely touch.

We didn't leave the resort so ate every meal at the onsite restaurant, where the quality of food was very good (and varied). We particularly enjoyed the Indian style dishes and pizzas. Cocktails were tasty too! Keep in mind that you are a distance from Road Town, so if you don't have your own transport you will be eating here exclusively, but that's no bad thing.

By far the biggest positive here is the staff - Christian, Tristian and the girls in the bar/restaurant were always happy to make us feel welcome, the chef popped out to make sure we were happy with our meals, on our last night they even put the Stanley Cup play offs on TV for us, which was not an easy thing to do in the middle of the Caribbean!

Do not hesitate to book a stay here, it's well worth it!

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi Melissa R!!!! very happy to see your comment.....what can I say more? Just remember that in 2017 you can come back and find something unique...more than you found yet!!!
Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 19 June 2016

We were very disappointed with this place for many reasons. Expensive, they serve just Italian food, hamburgers, pizzas and all their food sucks... They are far away from everything, once you get there you are isolated... Their rooms are outdated and it is almost impossible to open the door of the room because the hole to put the key is so close to the portal, so there is not much space for your hand to turn the key around...The beach is nice but the water is a little bit rough, not what's is expected from the Caribbean waters. The staff are nice and even themselves complain about the place. It cost around 30 dollars to get here from Roadtown, and in case you run out of money, there is no atm around!. You are in the middle nowhere. The bar by the pool is closed, so you have to cross the entire hotel land/area to get to the other bar.. And the bartender didn't not even know to make a frozen drink ! He asked us if we wanted the frozen drink with alcohol, and we had to teach him how to make a simple frozen margarita..lol... So we do no recommend place at all.. We were supposed to stay a little lonnger but we couldn't handle the isolation from everything which includes good food.

Feels like 'Hotel California' (you can check out but you can never leave!)

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank _regissilva

I should respect all the review and normally I do also because we know that sometime we mistake too, but in this case it is clear the intent. This guest wrong the choice and when she realize, asked for a refund which has been refused and she made a blackmail. If I refuse to refund because she wrong to choose the resort she write a bad review in Tripadvisor. Unfortunately we struggle also with these guest and unfortunately who pay that are the good guest that just could have some problem really.
Most of the other guest that left a comment here in Tripadvisor confirmed that, maybe we are not still perfect, but for sure we cannot be so bad like this person tried to say....
Very open to discuss with guest that would give us their opinion...we love make you happy!