See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 July 2016

We had a very strange experience with Turtle Bay - here are the Pro's and Con's:

PROS:
*our booking was great (Geeta is a doll) and our exchange with everyone who worked at the hotel when we checked in was wonderful - incredibly kind people who were friendly and helpful.
*beautiful location - you are surrounded by huge hills and it's just the resort by the beach
*gorgeous beach
*clean room - we did a Beach Front Suite
*nice pool

CONS:
*there was an AC unit in the bedroom but no where else so the kitchen got very hot
*there was trash sitting along the beach in cans (seemingly that's where the cleaning staff deposited trash from rooms?) for the 24 hours that we were there - it was a major eyesore
*very few chairs along the beach - I think I saw two
*you can't swim in the ocean - the rip tide is very strong and there is a sign on the beach saying it isn't safe
*there was no wi-fi in our room and we were told in order to get it we'd have to go to the pool or the front desk
*there was no phone in our room
*Long story short - we had a horrible exchange with the owner who berated us after interrogating us as to why we weren't keeping our second night's reservation - this all happened in the middle of the night in the dark on a path by the restaurant which was closed. He made racist remarks about his employees during this exchange and was possibly the most aggressive person I've ever shared space with. We (two women) felt threatened and unsafe, got no sleep that night and hightailed it out in the AM.

So no, I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't go back.

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled with friends
5  Thank BeachGoer889
Alberto R, Direttore generale at Turtle Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Hi Ms. Beachgoer889....you know? Since we started this deep renovation in this place we had just very few cases of people very unsatisfied like you and there is evidence of that thanks to many people here and in other website that apreciated our effort....that is why I can remember exactly any single case like in this case; I was out of the restaurant and was very late and you came with a friend of us that you met at the reception....you explain me anything was not ok for you and you explain me that you prefer move to another place where you have been invited from some your friend....me that I am not for sure racist I just try to understand exactly which was the problem because you mentioned something done by our staff and I just tried to verify something...in any case you got your refund for the second night..you asked me also for the first and I told you that you used the room and no where in the world one hotel can accept to refund a night used. I record these few case with all the papers in case somebody would like verify.
I want respect any opinion and I spent oftern time and I like that talking with our guest in order to better understand what we could do to improve....
Small point about the staff...when we started just 8 staff worked here..now are 51....like every where there is some good and some not...our job is try to find all the best for your comfort...
thanks in any case for your comment!

Reviewed 7 July 2016

They lied to us. We had a flight early in the morning and we asked them what time they serve breakfast. They told us 7 am. We had a flight at 10 am... we stop at the restaurant at 7:30 am and they still closed, 8 am and they still closed. Not even the worker for the front desk was there.. We saw a few guest leaving and complaing about there was not even coffee available... We left hungry to the airport.... The place now is run by Indians (from Indian) and they are very lazy and dont care about tourists.. They just want your money and hope you get our their property.. we regret staying in this place so far away for everything... They food option is really bad, only a few items on their menu.. They were super rude to us and even refused to call us a cab.. we had to ask a hotel guest to call us a cab.. Also the door for our bedroom was impossible to open.. DONT GO THERE.. STAY AWAY.. many places to stay much better than this one.. Also do go swim in the beach in that area because there are SHARKS.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank house4salecr
Alberto R, Direttore generale at Turtle Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2016

I don't know who you are and honestly I think you wrong something because this place is own by italians, me I am the manager and I am italian, the chef is italian, other 3 managers are italians and the only indian we have is a cook.... I checked your previous reviews on Tripadvisor and I invite anybody to do that....you find terrible any place where you have been. I don't want comment nothing not because I think we are perfect (very far we are from there) but because I think really you wrong something...and I have many doubt that you have been in this hotel....
Regards!

Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

Had just spent 7 days on the water and needed a little decompression before flying back to Oklahoma so we stayed 1 night at Turtle Bay. Really glad we did. Although the facilities are run down, (new ownership is planning a re model soon). The food, drinks, food, staff, and the location on Lambert Bay. was as good as it gets.

Let's start with the staff. It is my impression that new management is rebuilding the staff from ground up. And they are doing a great job. Thoughtful, compassionate, service oriented people await you at every corner, from the check in desk to the grounds and maintenance guy, all the way to the bar tenders and server staff. We arrived early before check in and they took care of us with out question. When our room was ready came and found us on the grounds gave us a key. They al ready put our luggage in our room.

At the beach bar and restaurant new proprietor Christian McDonald was working hard trying staff while current staff was killing it with great service.

Then the food. Although I don't recommend eating the hamburger, (I had a craving) the rest of the food was 5 star all the way. The risotto with sausage was excellent. Egg plant parmesan was outstanding. Grouper..

I can't imagine going to Tortolla and not staying at Turtle Bay.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Alberto R, Direttore generale at Turtle Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2016

Hi ShankerstienMulligan! Thanks a lot for your review!
All the staff is working hard since the owner (who is not Mr. Christian) took back the property after a period of rent. Very soon we start the real renovation and from December 2016 if you come back you will see a much better resort high standard....and new!
We really hope to have you next year again!
Thanks!

Reviewed 28 June 2016

My wife and I took advantage of a weekend special being offered to Virgin Islands residents and booked a room at this resort for our Anniversary getaway weekend.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect, due to the great price, and the word we'd heard that the place was being renovated.

Fact is, once we found our way (turned out to be a little bit of an adventure due to the road that, from our map appeared to be the one we needed to take being closed due to work) we were delighted to find ourselves at a charming, tranquil, and very beautiful location.

Check in went smoothly and we were led to our beachfront room (in a pod with two adjoining rooms). The grounds, and rooms are just one notch below magnificent in my opinion, but that has to do mostly with their age. Everything was clean and in perfect working order. The bed was extremely comfortable and had good quality sheets, pillows, etc.

The best part was the staff. We were made to feel very welcomed. Service of any kind was always easily available, but never obtrusive.

They gave us the option of private beachfront dining at a gazebo on our anniversary night (we could have also chosen to eat in the restaurant or in our room) and the setting was lovely and quite romantic!

I would love to go back to this place again and again. I imagine it will be absolutely stunning after it is spruced up with the planned renovations, but I (we) loved it just the way it is!

Room tip: Wi-fi is available near the lobby and the restaurant, just not in the rooms.
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi augiegator! Thanks for your comment....we are very happy to know that we are on the right way....and after 2017 this will be the best resort in Tortola! We hope to have you here soon!

Reviewed 27 June 2016 via mobile

We decided on Turtle Bay for a bit of R&R after a week and a bit of sailing and couldn't be happier.

Our room was fantastic, with a kitchen, very comfortable bed, living room etc - it was very clean on arrival and housekeeping kept it that way for the duration of our stay.

The beach (only 30m from our room) was stunning, and was just as nice as the highly rated Smugglers Cove at the other end of the island. People said the water here could get a little rough and choppy but it was like glass for us. The chairs and sunshades were a lovely touch.

We didn't leave the resort so ate every meal at the onsite restaurant, where the quality of food was very good (and varied). We particularly enjoyed the Indian style dishes and pizzas. Cocktails were tasty too! Keep in mind that you are a distance from Road Town, so if you don't have your own transport you will be eating here exclusively, but that's no bad thing.

By far the biggest positive here is the staff - Christian, Tristian and the girls in the bar/restaurant were always happy to make us feel welcome, the chef popped out to make sure we were happy with our meals, on our last night they even put the Stanley Cup play offs on TV for us, which was not an easy thing to do in the middle of the Caribbean!

Do not hesitate to book a stay here, it's well worth it!

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi Melissa R!!!! very happy to see your comment.....what can I say more? Just remember that in 2017 you can come back and find something unique...more than you found yet!!!
Hope to see you soon!