“Watching the flight of birds from above!”
Review of Johnny Hill Villa

Johnny Hill Villa
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tortola
Johnny Hill Villa
Reviewed 3 June 2012

You might feel like king of the world, way up here on the hill! We stayed in JHV 2 bedroom end unit, and it was wonderful in every way. Wrap around balconies with breath-taking views. My favorite is the view to the west, where the sun goes down behind Jos Van Dyke. We watched the sailboats sail in and out of Cane Garden Bay every evening, over rum punch on the balcony. It's so very quiet--I loved watching the kingbirds who were nesting on the roof, and most of all, being so high up, I could look down and see all the sea birds swooping and flying--a different and wonderful perspective. This unit is spacious, with beautiful floors, ac in the bedrooms, a full kitchen, a breezy shaded front porch. Cable TV and I believe there will be wifi soon. If you stay here, try to meet Claire and Craig, who live here year round. Craig owns "Sweet and Savory Bakery" and you can order extraordinary scones (cheese ones are to die for!) and amazing big chocolate chip or oatmeal cookies. As for Denzil--he is an amazing man who will help you with anything--we also rented our car from him--his service is excellent in every way.

Room Tip: Ask for the end unit that overlooks Jos Van Dyke
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I stayed @ JHV on my last trip to Tortola (I go as often as possible, which usually ends up being every 3-4 yrs.) because I am absolutely in love with Tortola, especially Cane Garden Bay, & have been since my 1st visit in 1997. I knew Denzil Cline as a local trusted businessman & knew having the car rental with the lodging is a very convenient thing in Tortola. You NEED a jeep here to get around here, the hills are too steep to walk, no sidewalks, sheer drops with no guardrails, etc. Drive on the right, not for the faint of heart - very steep switchbacks. Watch out for cows!

PROS:
Besides Denzil & the jeep rental, there is of course the incredible views of CGB from the large (shared) balcony outside the french doors from your room. I also like being close to CGB but up high in CGB (it's boiling down at the beach but cooler up high on the hill). I like having a kitchen for breakfast & know where to shop (Bobby's down in CGB or in Road Town) & what to get (bottled water, coffee, milk, eggs, bread, cheese, butter, rum, snacks, rum, Red Stripe, Carib, rum, rum & rum!) The rooms are very clean, make sure to tip your cleaners right away & they will take good care of you. (Be careful the days they clean, they will leave the doors & windows open & you might have to spray or get eaten alive by mosquitos. Bring bug spray!)

CONS:
I usually rent a guesthouse or villa because I like privacy, but it wasn't very private in the 1st bldg @ JHV. The rooms all share an open ceiling & you can hear the other rooms if they are loud. That can be a problem. Also, parking there is very limited & can be pretty scary on the side of the hill. My unit had no A/C & I was DYING that summer. Too hot to sleep!

Next time I'm staying at the 2nd bldg with the A/C. They seemed to have more parking up there, too.

Agree on pricing ahead of time, for everything from pickup @ the airport to room to car to rental total, including tax & fees, & write it all down & bring it with you. Denzil is fair & will honor your agreements but he may get a few things wrong & last minute changes might come up, so it's up to you to hold him to your original deal. (For instance, we agreed on an airport pickup as part of the room/car deal, but a 3rd party bus driver picked me up & I had to pay him in cash. I told Denzil about this & he took it off my bill.)

SOME ADVICE ON TORTOLA:
1. Slow down, you are now on "ILON TIME", a magical place where NO ONE CARES if you are in a hurry. So relax, take your time, & whatever you do, do not even think about being rude. It will get you nowhere. I once sat at a restaurant for 3 hrs waiting for dinner... turns out, the truck delivering food to that side of the island was late. Not that anyone told me, I had to politely ask. Which brings me to...
2. RESPECT. Make sure you treat everyone with Good Morning/Afternoons & Please & Thank Yous. Basic courtesy is the culture there & will go a LONG way. If you ask anyone "How are you?" especially the older folks, they will always answer, "Not too bod" instead of "Fine", so as not to tempt the fates. I love this!
3. Tortola is a little old-fashioned. There are more churches than bars by far. Cover up everywhere else but the beach.
4. If you're a 5-star-resort type that loves being pampered, do yourself & everyone a favor & GO SOMEPLACE ELSE.
5. Do NOT smoke or buy or traffic ANY ganja ANY where ANY time unless you want to visit Her Majesty's Prison, a scary 16th century dungeon in Road Town. (Ok, you probably won't end up there but in some local police station, however just the look of that place scared the crap out of me! No cannabis in the BVI, they can throw you in jail & they will.)
6. It's expensive. I usually take $100US/day for spending money for eating out, drinking, day charters, etc.
7.DON'T MISS - Sebastian's Rum from Sebastian's Hotel in Carrot Bay (buy as many bottles to take to your room/home as you can afford/carry & store in the freezer, drink over ice.), Quito's, Myett's, Bomba's Full Moon Party, a day trip to Jost Van Dyke. (If you see Bomba or Quito please tell them "Mercury said hi!" for me.)
8. If you see a local standing on the side of the road & pointing up or down, they need a ride in that direction. If you feel comfortable, pick them up. They will tell you where to drop them. I know this is crazy in most parts of the world, but not in 'Tola. There it's just neighborly & good karma.
9. Speak slowly if you're American. Our accents are hard to follow. They are used to Brits (ha!) and if anyone asks you how you are, say "Every 'ting safe!" & I gurrantee you will get a big smile in return.
10. Bring bug spray, bug lotion, antihistamines & use all at once if you're sensitive to mosquitos like I am. This stuff & sunscreen, etc is expensive there.
11. If you're in CGB during cruise ship season, STAY AWAY the times they bus them in. They descend like locusts, eating everything in site, crowding the beaches & basically make your life a living hell. This is a good time to be out snorkeling or on a day charter.

If you love Tortola & have a great time, be selective in whom you tell, and don't ruin it for the rest of us! I try to keep it under wraps & unspoiled! I know this is selfish, but really, it's not for the average traveler. Not a day goes by that I don't wish I were there!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Merc9
Reviewed 6 March 2007

Stayed in Feb 2007.
Fantastic Views, but you definitely need to rent a car to stay here and explore island.
Minutes to Cane Garden bay-Good access to whole island.
Basic, but very clean and comfortable accomodation.
Very friendly local owners, who seemed trustworthy.
Enjoyed having a kitchen available-bring your own coffee!
For the price I felt this met our needs as a couple with room to spare.
Tortola is a paradise with no large resorts and locals that leave you be, what more can you ask for??

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 27 March 2006

Stayed at Johnny Hill Villas from Mar. 9-17.
Reserved 3 1-bedroom condos and was quoted a price of $300 per night for 7 nights by Denzil Clyne. Made reservations at least 4 months in advance and called several times to ensure that everything was ok.

Instead of the 3 1-bedroom condos we stayed in a 4-bedroom villa. The villa was very nice and far larger than what we needed. However, he charged us a different rate then what we were quoted $350 per night. Also, we were charged a different rate for the Montero we reserved.

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank OttawaDoug
Reviewed 31 January 2004

My husband and I stayed at Johnny Hill Villas in December 2003 for 4 wonderful nights. We did not know what to expect because there were no reviews of the Villas, but the pictures looked reasonable. Well it far exceded our expectations! We rented a one bedroom villa (studio)and a suzuki (4 wheel) as a package deal. Denzil Clyne owns the villa's and Denzil Clyne Jeep & Car Rental. We were picked up at the airport and brought to the car rental company where Denzil Clyne met us personally (great service) and we followed him to the villas high on top of Cane Garden Bay. I think he owns 2 or three buildings on the cliff side over looking Cane Garden Bay. We stayed in the building with the smaller villas, but he did tell us that the other building next to the one we stayed in where larger. When we arrived at the villa someone on his staff was there and had just finished cleaning - it was immaculate and everyone was very friendly. If you are looking for luxury accomadations.....this is not for you, but then Tortola is not either.
We usually stay at hotels (i.e. room service, restaurants, bar, etc.), but thought we'd give the villa/condo thing a try. Our villa had a little kitchen (with stove, oven, frig, sink, pots, pans, utensils, etc.) which we were able to cook breakfast, brew coffee, and even make dinner in. My favorite part of the villa were the french doors that opened to a patio/balcony (with furniture) with an fabulous view of Cane Garden Bay. Waking up to sipping coffee on the patio with the soft breeze blowing was simply awesome.

We got our supplies in Road Town (for the most part), but if you are not into cooking for yourself, Cane Garden Bay is 2 minutes away with restaurants to choose from. We recommend Myett's for dinner. Did not go to Quitos but heard it was good and the music is great on the weekends.
Explore the island....many great beaches to check out. Make sure to have a 4 wheel drive - the roads are very curvy and steep.

We returned our 4 wheel to Denzil's place (Denzil stopped by again to make sure that everything was ok and we enjoyed our stay - great service) and were driven back to the airport. We stopped on the way to the airport, and Carolyn (the woman I corresponded with via the internet and secured the villa rental from) again made sure our stay was pleasant and added that personal touch.

We would definitely go back to Tortola and Johnny Hill Villas!

19  Thank maddyfl