“Like staying with family, only better...”
Review of Agape Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tortola
Agape Cottages
Colorado
“Like staying with family, only better...”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Staying at Agape is like staying with family. You feel truly welcomed and immediately at home, but don't have to put up with the annoying family member who drives you crazy. From the moment we made the reservation, Donna was nothing but efficient, kind and welcoming. Upon arrival, she presents you with a hand drawn map of the island she's created with two different day trips. She's marked places to shop, eat, sightsee, snorkel, etc.. Not only did we use her information, but we appreciated having the map as a souvenir of our wonderful time in Tortola. Donna delivered games and cards to our cottage one rainy evening. We invited her in and enjoyed a wonderful couple hours getting to know her and hearing about life in the BVI. She's truly a special person who has a gift for hospitality. She took the time to make reservations for us for a day sail with Aristocat. She and the owner are friends and he makes sure her guests have a great time. Highly recommend Aristocat.

The location of Agape Cottages can't be beat. We debated between staying on Cane Garden Bay or staying at Agape which is on the hill overlooking Cane Garden Bay. Defintely, Agape was the better choice as the views are incredible. You can see Jost Van Dyke and the sunsets are breathtaking. Plus, you're a bit removed from the music noise that went on very late at night a few nights. You could stay at Agape and not need a rental car as there are numerous restaurants within walking distance as well as a small market. Best prices and selection are at the supermarket in Road Town though.

Kitchen was well equipped. In fact, we only ate out one meal the entire time we were there. We actually brought two disposable coolers from home with frozen steak, chicken, hamburger meat, etc..

Following are a few things to consider.
*Agape is not a resort. It's clean, spacious, comfortable, and simple. If you're looking for luxury, it's not the right place for you.
*The driveway is steep. Our little rental car managed it just fine. I wouldn't recommend walking it if you have bad knees or mobility issues.
*Earplugs - chickens are everywhere and they are noisy
*It's hot and the AC is in the bedroom only. You can get cool at night to sleep, but sitting on the balcony or in the kitchen, it's warm.
*Bug spray. They come out at night when you're sitting on your balcony enjoying a cocktail.
*We were able to pick up a signal from St. Thomas that allowed us to facetime the kids at home via the IPAD nightly.
*There are critters around - geckos, frogs, spiders, etc.. You almost feel like you're in the rainforest as you're surrounded by lush foliage all around the cottages.
*Make time to visit surrounding islands. Ferries are cheap and visiting Jost Van Dyke and Virgin Gorda is easy. On Virgin Gorda, a car rental shuttle was waiting at the ferry dock and drove us a few minutes to the shop where we rented a car for the day.
*Consider renting a car and exploring Tortola. Yes, you drive on the left side of the road, but you never drive much more than 30mph due to the twistiness and steepness of the roads. It seemed like most people drove in the center of the road and only moved to the left when an oncoming car was coming.
*We found the residents of Tortola to be very friendly and laidback.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank coloparkers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
highlands ranch, co
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This was absolutely heaven on earth to us. The exact thing we needed to relax and unwind. Staying with Tom and Donna are truly and without exaggeration like staying with family or friends. Donna consistently went out of her way to check on us, sit and visit with us, call and find something out for us, review our itinerary and make suggestions. I immediately wanted to be her friend. She was just an amazing person. The view from the accommodations we had was tranquil and amazing. We spent so much time just sitting on the porch and watching the water. The beds are interesting as they are a cement buildup with a foam mattress on them but I love a soft bed and I slept absolutely incredible the whole week. We were in D1.
Before going, I was confused as to the walk to the beach. I will try to explain it to you. First of all Tortola has steep, steep graded roads. So if you imagine several cottages along a long, steep winding driveway that leads to the main street (which is more of a lane)....you cross and you are at the beach. I put some pictures in both of a painting of the property (that Donna's dad did) and the grade of the drive.
We loved our time here, more than any place we have stayed, and it was due to Donna and the view. The villas have everything you could think of needing, although don't expect the Ritz, they are more like a favorite, comfortable sweater. One you continue to pick, year after year. Thank you Donna for a wonderful stay and I look forward to seeing you again.

Room Tip: Some places have better views than others. Loved D1's view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank jennat
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed 16 July 2012

'
my family and I rented a cottage with Agape for 15 days. it was the best vacation to date. I wanted something peaceful,simple, and tech free for my family. this was the place. We have traveled to Tortola before and knew we wanted to stay in Cane Garden Bay.

The hospitality was amazing. it was truly like staying with good friends or family. I would stay here again. Hopefully next year..

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank MAD5088
Lake Elsinore,CA
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We just returned from 5 days at Agape Cottages, our first visit. The cottage was charming and convenient to beach and restaurants and so peaceful. Donna and Tom are very accomodating and warm with everything from recommendations for rental cars to restaurants-even a hand-drawn map of the island with suggested day trips. We would definitely stay at Agape again if we're lucky enough to return to Tortola.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jan E
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Staying at Agape Cottages was a special treat -- it is quite uncommon to have such superior service. Tom and Donna were phenomenal hosts and truly cared about making our stay perfect. Before the trip, we were coordinating travel plans for a pretty large group (10 people stayed in 5 different cottages) and Donna was extremely helpful in coordinating our taxi rides, trip plans, rooms and answering the plethora of questions we peppered her with. Once we arrived, she and Tom gave each of us a tour of our cottages and the ammenties available and I immediately noticed we were provided with some breakfast items, a flashlight, fresh bananas picked from the property and the beverages we ordered were already delivered to our rooms.

I was in D4 and had one of the smallest rooms, but it was plenty of space. In fact, I found it better to have the room size that I did because the air conditioning cooled the entire area better. Plus, with my location I had access to the internet from within my room. My porch's view wasn't as great as some of the others, but it was screened in, which I appreciated since the bugs love me! The only downside was it was just a little bit higher on the hill... but if you're at least somewhat fit you'll have no problem getting up the hill. However, the walk isn't long to any of the cottages, it is steep, so if steep hills really get your heart pumping, then you might enjoy a stay at one of the cottages located further down on the hill.

In addition to the breakfast supplied, beach and bath towels were provided and there were plenty of beach supplies to borrow -- snorkles, goggles, fins, beach chairs, noodles, boogie boards, etc. There is a grocery store (Bobbys) just at the bottom of the hill that was reasonably priced and had more than I expected inside.

Last but not least, the views were phenomenal. Some of my best pictures were taken right outside of my cottage! I sincerely recommend Agape Cottages, Donna and Tom are a true pleasure to meet and have as hosts.

Room Tip: For great views and a little bit of a daily workout, ask for a room higher on the hill, it isn't...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank TiffanyP979
Rhode Island
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I just returned from 19 days in paradise. This was our 4th trip to Agape, and it truly is like returning home. As usual, Ralph met us at the airport and took us to our home away from home, J1, where Donna was waiting with a warm hug. The view of Cane Garden Bay and the spectacular sunsets cannot be beat. The cottage is spacious, clean and well equipped with all of the comforts of home. The outside shower really is a plus. Dave and my husband harvested bananas from a tree by the patio. It was really amazing, and we had fresh bananas the entire stay. You cannot go wrong if you choose this little slice of heaven as your vacation destination.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rh0deIslandBeachBum
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed 3 weeks at agape cottages it has a feel of coming home ,the cottages are clean and the grounds are very well maintained,Its just a short walk down the drivewat to cane garden bay a great beach with plenty of good food and drink,Tom,Donna,Kit and Dave are great hosts ,There is a grocery store within walking dist, if you love the beach this is the place to stay we will be back in 2013 .

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends