“Quiet, friendly, great views, wonderful stay!”
Review of Agape Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tortola
Agape Cottages
Reviewed 4 April 2013

My husband and I stayed for five nights in January 2013. We had been to Roadtown on a cruise ship stop and knew we wanted to get back to Tortola. We are not resort people so Agape Cottages was perfect for us: clean, well appointed, great location, wonderful hosts, relaxing! Donna and Tom were friendly, helpful and always had time to chat or answer a question about the island. Donna's hand drawn map is great for getting around. The drive way is steep. We appreciated our jeep rental from Jerrys, but we did walk down the drive each evening to sit on the beach and pick up a cell signal from St Thomas. The beach bars and restarants are convenient. While Cane Garden beach is lovely, we drove to other more secluded spots for snorkeling. Jost van Dyke was a great day trip to take and I highly recommend it. I feel we could have used more time in Tortola. There were plently of beaches and sites we didn't get to see. I was sad to leave Agape and Tortola. If St Thomas is too crowded for you, get on the ferry and head to Tortola and Agape Cottages. The island is laid back, uncrowded, a bit rustic with chickens and goats, but the people are super friendly and the beaches are beautiful.

Mike & Kim from PA

Room Tip: We stayed at the very top of the driveway. We had a wonderful screened porch with a view of Cane Ga...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mikeandkimtravelPa

Reviewed 30 March 2013

Stayed at Agape in January 2013. We were to stay for a month, but unfortunetely, we left 5 days earlier due to illness! The apartment was perfect! Donna was there to greet us upon arrival, and we very much appreciated the lovely provisions they provide! Never had that happened before!
Donna also checked on us a lot, wondering if there was anything needed or if there was anything her or Tom could help us with. Donna recommended a wonderful car rental place (Gerry's..a wonderfully run place, and friendly)...trust her with her choices, well worth it!!
We unfortunetely didn't get to do all we had planned to do while there, due to our very bad cold we had, that just would't go away!! Tom & Donna, you both work hard to make sure everyone is happy. It's a lovely place, the view wonderful in J1, even though higher is breathtaking! But it is quite a steep walk to the top, but you can stop a moment and breathe...lol we didn't rent our jeep until the second week.
Groceries buying at the West point marina great spot (where there is a Pusser's restaurant) .
Cane Garden is beautiful, very quiet on none Cruise day.
So we missed out on the Catamaran day, several other islands we wanted to see...
Oh yea...the apartment is the BEST stocked kitchen we have seen to date!
Their cleaning lady is also wonderful and friendly.
Thanks Donna & Tom for sharing your little paradise!
Roger & Maddie.
P.s. be ready for the roosters at 4am if you like sleeping with the windows open..lol....it's an island.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gadgetgirlOntario
Reviewed 21 January 2013

If you enjoy Cane Garden Bay but don't want to stay at the limited serviced guest houses on the beach this is a perfect alternate.
TV, not even cable TV is hard pressed to find on the beach as well as A/C and WI Fi.

Agape cottages are large and very clean, with many amenities and wonderful hosts Donna and Tom. We were able to cook up breakfast and have coffee overlooking the bedroom. After a long travel day we were so happy to be at Agape. Coffee, milk, juice, eggs and yes a bottle of rum awaited us.
Please bear in mind that you do need transportation to get up those hills even if you think your in shape. However I do believe you need a car when staying CGB for restaurants and different beaches.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tangi1
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I stayed at Agape this past January 2013 for 12 days, and was beyond happy with my stay. Never having travelled to Tortola I was unsure as to what to expect staying in Cane garden Bay in terms of location on the island, as well as how the accomodations would meet my needs. Agape owners, Donna and Tom were wonderfully hospitable and welcoming, offering helpful information, directions and tips, helping mew to make the most out of my vacation. Donna and I had many imprompu morning chats, as I planned my days, which was incredibly helpful. Donna and Tom were more than happy to help me at any time, even having me over for supper the night i arrived as it was late! Donna and Tom provided beach towels, both large and small, so no need to pack one! I was also happy to be able to use one of their may beach chairs that I was able to throw right in the rental car to the beach! Donna has a large lending library filled with books, so you'll never be without a good book. Cane Garden ended up being a great place to stay as Agape is a short 3 or 4 minute walk to the beach and local restaurants and nightlife. I was able to explore the entire island easily from this location, and found renting a car was the way to go (Jerry's rental cars are the best!) The cottages are close enough to the beach and bars but far enough away to relax and enjoy the sunset with a glass of wine in the comfort of your own cottage. I was very happy and satisfied with my trip, and believe staying at Agape was a HUGE part of why it was so wonderful. Thank you again Donna and Tom for your kindness and genuine hospitality!!! Until we meet again :-)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank NHgirl82
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Staying at Agape is like staying with family. You feel truly welcomed and immediately at home, but don't have to put up with the annoying family member who drives you crazy. From the moment we made the reservation, Donna was nothing but efficient, kind and welcoming. Upon arrival, she presents you with a hand drawn map of the island she's created with two different day trips. She's marked places to shop, eat, sightsee, snorkel, etc.. Not only did we use her information, but we appreciated having the map as a souvenir of our wonderful time in Tortola. Donna delivered games and cards to our cottage one rainy evening. We invited her in and enjoyed a wonderful couple hours getting to know her and hearing about life in the BVI. She's truly a special person who has a gift for hospitality. She took the time to make reservations for us for a day sail with Aristocat. She and the owner are friends and he makes sure her guests have a great time. Highly recommend Aristocat.

The location of Agape Cottages can't be beat. We debated between staying on Cane Garden Bay or staying at Agape which is on the hill overlooking Cane Garden Bay. Defintely, Agape was the better choice as the views are incredible. You can see Jost Van Dyke and the sunsets are breathtaking. Plus, you're a bit removed from the music noise that went on very late at night a few nights. You could stay at Agape and not need a rental car as there are numerous restaurants within walking distance as well as a small market. Best prices and selection are at the supermarket in Road Town though.

Kitchen was well equipped. In fact, we only ate out one meal the entire time we were there. We actually brought two disposable coolers from home with frozen steak, chicken, hamburger meat, etc..

Following are a few things to consider.
*Agape is not a resort. It's clean, spacious, comfortable, and simple. If you're looking for luxury, it's not the right place for you.
*The driveway is steep. Our little rental car managed it just fine. I wouldn't recommend walking it if you have bad knees or mobility issues.
*Earplugs - chickens are everywhere and they are noisy
*It's hot and the AC is in the bedroom only. You can get cool at night to sleep, but sitting on the balcony or in the kitchen, it's warm.
*Bug spray. They come out at night when you're sitting on your balcony enjoying a cocktail.
*We were able to pick up a signal from St. Thomas that allowed us to facetime the kids at home via the IPAD nightly.
*There are critters around - geckos, frogs, spiders, etc.. You almost feel like you're in the rainforest as you're surrounded by lush foliage all around the cottages.
*Make time to visit surrounding islands. Ferries are cheap and visiting Jost Van Dyke and Virgin Gorda is easy. On Virgin Gorda, a car rental shuttle was waiting at the ferry dock and drove us a few minutes to the shop where we rented a car for the day.
*Consider renting a car and exploring Tortola. Yes, you drive on the left side of the road, but you never drive much more than 30mph due to the twistiness and steepness of the roads. It seemed like most people drove in the center of the road and only moved to the left when an oncoming car was coming.
*We found the residents of Tortola to be very friendly and laidback.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank coloparkers
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This was absolutely heaven on earth to us. The exact thing we needed to relax and unwind. Staying with Tom and Donna are truly and without exaggeration like staying with family or friends. Donna consistently went out of her way to check on us, sit and visit with us, call and find something out for us, review our itinerary and make suggestions. I immediately wanted to be her friend. She was just an amazing person. The view from the accommodations we had was tranquil and amazing. We spent so much time just sitting on the porch and watching the water. The beds are interesting as they are a cement buildup with a foam mattress on them but I love a soft bed and I slept absolutely incredible the whole week. We were in D1.
Before going, I was confused as to the walk to the beach. I will try to explain it to you. First of all Tortola has steep, steep graded roads. So if you imagine several cottages along a long, steep winding driveway that leads to the main street (which is more of a lane)....you cross and you are at the beach. I put some pictures in both of a painting of the property (that Donna's dad did) and the grade of the drive.
We loved our time here, more than any place we have stayed, and it was due to Donna and the view. The villas have everything you could think of needing, although don't expect the Ritz, they are more like a favorite, comfortable sweater. One you continue to pick, year after year. Thank you Donna for a wonderful stay and I look forward to seeing you again.

Room Tip: Some places have better views than others. Loved D1's view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank jennat
Reviewed 16 July 2012

'
my family and I rented a cottage with Agape for 15 days. it was the best vacation to date. I wanted something peaceful,simple, and tech free for my family. this was the place. We have traveled to Tortola before and knew we wanted to stay in Cane Garden Bay.

The hospitality was amazing. it was truly like staying with good friends or family. I would stay here again. Hopefully next year..

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family