“Is not what I think”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Road Town
Prospect Reef Resort
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
San Juan,PR
Reviewed 4 May 2004

I spend 2 days and 1 night at the hotel. I had good and no so good times. I think Tortola is not for a long vacation, I can not imagine staying there for a whole week. Tortola is an expensive island, there was no nightlife near the hotel, the restaurants/pub (minutes from the hotel) where closed early at night (on a weekend) ,and do not think getting to the beach , there was rocks, rocks, rocks...But I can say I had a great view from my room (ocean view with a terrace), I had the best omelette in my life (at the hotel restaurant) and there was a place called The Pub (minutes walking from the hotel) with cold beers and great snacks.###

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Lighthouse Point, FL
Reviewed 23 April 2004

I have owned an interval ownership at Prospect Reef since 1999. We look forward to our trips down there each year. We love the laidback feature of the property and have taken to renting a vehicle while we are there to cover the island. We have found some really nice out of the way places to have great lobster dinners and love to go to different beaches. Usually we sail for a week and follow up with a week at the resort. It was disappointing to us when the did away with the jacuzzi, we always enjoyed that. Even so, we love being able to sit on our porch and have dinner looking out at the water and swimming in the seapool. Food is very good. We love the lunches at Callaloo at the Beach on Peter Island. We plan to vacation here for many more years to come.

• Stayed: June 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fort Myers FL
Reviewed 19 April 2004

I stay at Prospect Reef three or four times a year when I visit the BVI on business and I always enjoy my stays. The swimming pool has been completely renovated and the gym is small but very complete. The tennis courts are run down but as I am not a tennis player this means little to me. I enjoy being right on the Sir Francis Drake Channel and I also enjoy the expansive property in a place where most resorts are carved out of the side of a mountain. Caribbean ambiance is different than what I find in upscale US resorts but for me that is just part of the charm. I will take a hammock by the Drake any day.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed 29 March 2004

My parents have a time share at PR that they have visited for the last three or four years. This was my first time going down there. We were there from mid-March to late-March.

As other reviewers have stated, if you're looking for a place with all the latest and greatest in every facet of resort offerings, this is not the place for you. In fact, if this is what you want, you probably should look to St. Thomas....Tortola is much more laid back and not as "touristy" as its American brother. That said, if you want a place that offers clean accommodations, and a nice place to relax and unwind with the opportunity to experience the life of the Caribbean, this is a great place.

My parents said that every year they have seen facility and management improvements and this year was no different. The rooms were well-attended and thoroughly cleaned every day we were there. They were showing signs of age, as an example some of the doors and windows were a bit tight to operate. (The manager said that they are planning to replace them this summer.) The kitchen was nicely outfitted, but also a bit dated and worn. Our A/C worked very nicely as did all the fixtures.
No complaints from me; however I can understand that if the expectations were for a 4 or 5-star environment people would be disappointed.

I found the staff to be friendly, professional and knowledgeable without exception.

The food at the restaurant was very good, and in fact one night they cooked the fish we had caught while deep-sea fishing in a simple but delicious sauce with vegetables. The salt-water sea pool is a very nice attraction. It offers the opportunity to snorkel and see much of the local reef life at your doorstep in a natural, but protected environment. The freshwater pool was newly refurbished and wonderful. I made a point of swimming in it daily and truly enjoyed the setting and the fact that it was very clean and quite refreshing. We did go to a cocktail party sponsored by the management and didn't have to listen to any sales pitches.

If you are thinking that you will have the beautiful beaches outside your doorstep, that just isn't the case here, or at any Road Town accommodations for that matter. The best beaches in Tortola are on the northern shores (a couple very hilly miles away). I'd highly recommend renting a car, if you can. There is parking on the PR grounds, in most cases right outside your unit. There is a lot to see on Tortola, but you have to travel around the island to explore most of these locations. Taxis will take you there, but the costs add up quickly. The nice thing about the PR location is that it is on the outskirts of Road Town, so all the shopping and other city amenities are less than 5 minutes away.

I recommend making the time to swim with the dolphins that are on the PR grounds. This was a fabulous experience and the trainers and crew were very professional, knowledgeable and were very attuned to the welfare of the dolphins. This was at an extra charge ($95 for PR guests vs. $115+ for other tourists).

I had a great time and enjoyed the laid back environment that Prospect Reef provided. I suspect that many of the prior reviewers had higher expectations and these were not met, thus leading to their disappointment. If you're looking for a clean place to stay and relax, with access to Road Town, this might fit your needs. I'll be back for sure.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed 10 February 2004

This resort was okay, not great. The location was good - the close proximity to Road Town and its many fine restaurants was ideal. I knew there was no beach, so that was alright - however, it was expensive to get to other beaches on the island. For $36 a couple (round trip) you can be delivered to and picked up from some lovely beaches on the island. The day trip to Peter Island was nice, but there were no other excursions available the week we were there, which was a bit disappointing. You must be prepared to plan excursions on your own. The room was fine - nothing fancy - but clean. We had no air conditioning, but did not really need it. The roosters did wake us up early our first day, which was a bit annoying. The employees seemed indifferent, and surprisingly, we were never approached about the timeshare option - in fact, if it were not for other guests mentioning it to us, we would not have known it existed. My biggest complaint is that they advertise tennis as a "land activity" on their website. This is very misleading, because the courts are not on the premises and are not playable (unless of course you brought along a machete and a lawnmower).

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 January 2004

Stayed here one (long) night in 2003. The place is run down. Got a room in which the toilet water (and more) leaked out of the base every time we flushed it. Changed rooms. This one had the closet doors lying on the floor. We met some people on Cooper Island a few days later who had just stayed at Prospect Reef. They said the place was run down and their toilet leaked every time they flushed it. They had our room! No one ever fixed the toilet problem!Jack

1  Thank JACKTHETRAVELBUG
Reviewed 4 January 2004

This was our fifth time back to Prospect, and once again, my husband and my ten year old son and I had a great time. Don't go to Prospect Reef if you are looking for a glitzy resort, but do go there if you want clean, safe accomodations and beautiful grounds. We stay in a reef studio room which has two double beds and a kitchenette. We like to shop for food staples in Roadtown at the Riteway, and spend our days leisurely lounging by the pool or sea pool, teaching our son how to scuba dive, or travelng around the island by rental car (a must!) to visit beaches we like on the north side of the island. Nightly we visit one of the many good restarurants on the island. The sea pool on the grounds of the resort is great night diving for little ones.

1  Thank catwhispurrr
#1 of 1 in Beef Island
Maria's by the Sea
Maria's by the Sea
#3 of 13 in Road Town

Been to Prospect Reef Resort? Share your experiences!