I spent 9 days at Sebastian's and loved it. It's very centrally located, between Long Bay and Cane Garden Bay (killer hills to CGB) and at the end of Zion Hill Road so handy to Road Town without going over Ridge Road and very close to Soper's Hole.
When I arrived I was surprised to find that they wanted payment for my entire stay up front (I had already paid a $300 deposit on booking), so be prepared for that. I was given a free upgrade from a garden view room to an ocean view (albeit over the roof of the restaurant but it was still very nice) to room 21. The room was huge with two queen beds. The bathroom is extremely dated and could use an upgrade (looked under the sink in the cupboards - *shudder*) but everything worked well. The shower head was broken - faced straight down into the tub and wouldn't stay in place when I moved it. I told Uschi, the owner, and the next day had a brand new shower head - very nice!
The beds are both under the window and the window ledge is right at the pillow, which I didn't like. When I pulled back the covers on the bed I intended to use, the pillow had large bits of black loose dirt on it. A further inspection turned up a FILTHY window ledge so I spent the next 10 minutes cleaning both ledges and then pulled the bed out a foot from the wall to keep away from the ledge and window. I had to repeat moving the bed every night as the housekeeping staff moved it back every morning. Also, the curtains kept billowing out from the window and I checked to make sure the jalousies were tightly closed but the billowing continued. This mystified my for about three days until I figured out it was the draft from the ceiling fan going along the floor and then up the wall and the curtains. Turning off the fan solved this problem but then I lost the lovely breeze through the night. It would be great if they weighted the curtain hems. There was an airconditioner but it's output was very weak.
The staff here are lovely and, as long as you remember to greet them properly with Good Morning (or whatever time of day it is) you will be rewarded with great service with a smile. I found them all, but one, to be very friendly.
I love the proximity to the beach, just across the road. The beach was fabulous while I was there and, once past the wave break, the water is great to swim in with a lovely sandy bottom.
The restaurant, which is right on the beach, is great for breakfast - the basket of baked goods has a great biscuit and banana bread. I didn't have a full dinner there (was recovering from some major dental work) but I did try their nachos and they do them in the manner of British Pubs which is to put the salsa on the chips with the cheese and then bake. It results in the chips being soggy and disgusting and I don't recommend OR ask them to bake without the salsa. The pizza also was done like the British and the crust might as well be cardboard. (nothing against the British, I was born there after all).
There are lots of lounge chairs provided, as well there are great items in the room should you need them; iron and board, flashlight, umbrella (which I had to make far too often use of), and maps. There is also free high speed internet at the restaurant. I wish it was also available in the rooms.
You get a bit of noise at night from the Bomba Shack which is very close by but, as far as I am concerned, that's just fine as it's all part of the fun of being in the Caribbean. If you think that will bother you, take ear plugs.
I loved this place and would not hesitate to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our Beachfront property affords a spectacular location right on the beach at little apple bay in the west end of Tortola. We have a selection of accommodation that can be configured to suit the needs of singles, couples and families. Our in-expensive tropical yard rooms have long been a favorite for visiting yacht charter guests, scuba divers and surfer's. While our Beachfront rooms and our Seaside Villas are preferred for longer term stays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Sebastian's on the Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sebastian`s On The Beach Hotel Road Town
- Sebastians On The Beach Hotel
- Sebastian's On The Beach Tortola/Road Town