“Perfect Place to Stay”

Sebastian's on the Beach
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Reviewed 1 June 2011

I spent 9 days at Sebastian's and loved it. It's very centrally located, between Long Bay and Cane Garden Bay (killer hills to CGB) and at the end of Zion Hill Road so handy to Road Town without going over Ridge Road and very close to Soper's Hole.

When I arrived I was surprised to find that they wanted payment for my entire stay up front (I had already paid a $300 deposit on booking), so be prepared for that. I was given a free upgrade from a garden view room to an ocean view (albeit over the roof of the restaurant but it was still very nice) to room 21. The room was huge with two queen beds. The bathroom is extremely dated and could use an upgrade (looked under the sink in the cupboards - *shudder*) but everything worked well. The shower head was broken - faced straight down into the tub and wouldn't stay in place when I moved it. I told Uschi, the owner, and the next day had a brand new shower head - very nice!

The beds are both under the window and the window ledge is right at the pillow, which I didn't like. When I pulled back the covers on the bed I intended to use, the pillow had large bits of black loose dirt on it. A further inspection turned up a FILTHY window ledge so I spent the next 10 minutes cleaning both ledges and then pulled the bed out a foot from the wall to keep away from the ledge and window. I had to repeat moving the bed every night as the housekeeping staff moved it back every morning. Also, the curtains kept billowing out from the window and I checked to make sure the jalousies were tightly closed but the billowing continued. This mystified my for about three days until I figured out it was the draft from the ceiling fan going along the floor and then up the wall and the curtains. Turning off the fan solved this problem but then I lost the lovely breeze through the night. It would be great if they weighted the curtain hems. There was an airconditioner but it's output was very weak.

The staff here are lovely and, as long as you remember to greet them properly with Good Morning (or whatever time of day it is) you will be rewarded with great service with a smile. I found them all, but one, to be very friendly.

I love the proximity to the beach, just across the road. The beach was fabulous while I was there and, once past the wave break, the water is great to swim in with a lovely sandy bottom.

The restaurant, which is right on the beach, is great for breakfast - the basket of baked goods has a great biscuit and banana bread. I didn't have a full dinner there (was recovering from some major dental work) but I did try their nachos and they do them in the manner of British Pubs which is to put the salsa on the chips with the cheese and then bake. It results in the chips being soggy and disgusting and I don't recommend OR ask them to bake without the salsa. The pizza also was done like the British and the crust might as well be cardboard. (nothing against the British, I was born there after all).

There are lots of lounge chairs provided, as well there are great items in the room should you need them; iron and board, flashlight, umbrella (which I had to make far too often use of), and maps. There is also free high speed internet at the restaurant. I wish it was also available in the rooms.

You get a bit of noise at night from the Bomba Shack which is very close by but, as far as I am concerned, that's just fine as it's all part of the fun of being in the Caribbean. If you think that will bother you, take ear plugs.

I loved this place and would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: A week before you go, ask about an upgrade.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank SandyBeachBumTM
There are newer reviews for Sebastian's on the Beach

Reviewed 19 February 2011

We stayed for 3 nights in two beachside (deluxe) rooms with friends. The location is excellent with the beach and ocean just steps away from the room. The rooms aren't modern but they are well kept and quite satisfactory. Some have TV, others don't for some reason. The location is great as long as you have your own transportation since it's well away from town and over some impressive hills - you'll discover why they put low gear on cars. The downside is that some of the service (check-in and restaurant) although quite efficient is distinctly lacking in charm, as others have noted - no smiles and no indication that you are welcome at Sebastian's. On one occasion we asked our waitress to divide the tab by two and put it on two cards. This she refused to do since it would involve "multiplication"! Food in the restaurant is variable in quality but overall not so great. However, there is a good answer - walk a short way down the road to the Sugar Mill restaurant for much better food at comparable prices (especially breakfast) and polished service. If you can get past the rather varied enthusiasm for your presence at Sebastian's, it's a good place for a sunny beach vacation away from the typical resort atmosphere and to explore the rest of Tortola. Probably deserves 3.5 stars

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maycarp
Reviewed 16 February 2011

We traveled here with friends and they chose this hotel. We arrived late one night and the security guard was waiting for us. The taxi ride from the airport will cost about $50 and takes 45 minutes to get here. The Bamba Shack, is down the street and can be a pretty wild place, but the resort is nice and quiet. There does seem to be a lot of activity out by the pay phone. In fact, the first night we were there, the police were there with loud sirens. We stayed in room 4, a beachfront room and I would suggest these rooms. Our friends stayed up the hill in the Villa, but it was quite a walk up the hill. The breakfast in the hotel was pretty good and our dinner on the patio was nice. We weren't sure how safe we felt here, but as long as you stay off the streets after dark, it is pretty nice. We stayed her two nights and I would go back.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SherriBParker_CO
Reviewed 10 February 2011

I am not going into great detail but I choose Sebastian's because it looked like the nicest and safest place in the area, It was rather expensive but I felt safer at the moment choosing this place. To make a long story shorter, I was standing outside the arched entryway, talking with the security guard around 1AM when a junk car slammed on brakes and a 6'6" huge dark gentleman that looked like a linebacker for a professional football team jumped out and interigated me for over an hour, asking me who I was and what was I doing in Tortola. I asked him several times who he was but when I asked he keep acting like he was going to kill me, shoving me against the wall with his chest; while the entire time Sebastian's security guard watched and acted afraid to help. I am a 6' well built male, but was terrified as I thought I would surely be killed. I reported the entire deal to the hotel manager, and then the hotel owner and nothing was done or no assistance or explanation ever given except they asked for full details, which I ended up telling the owner he could pick up a full copy of the Police report I made that morning or he could perhaps get the State Departments report. I am a hotel owner myself and have never seen or even heard of such an event and would never, ever recomed this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
8  Thank Jim S
Reviewed 20 January 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights during the low season and found this place to be a real little gem. The hotel is small and was very quiet the week we were there which is just what we were looking for. We stayed in one of the villas that are right on the beach. Our room was wonderful! Clean, updated, spacious, had a full kitchen, comfortable bed and a balcony that was literally right over the water. Just beautiful!! The beach itself was just as beautiful too and we pretty much had the whole beach to ourselves. The restaurant was simple but nice, right on the beach, and the lunches we had were quite enjoyable. It has a nice patio area next to the restaurant too that has wi-fi. We found the staff to be quite pleasant and accommodating. We will definitely be back..

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cherrp
Reviewed 11 January 2011

This is a Island with NOT much in terms of choice to start with. The island is EXTREMELY expensive, and average for looks, the beaches are nice. About this hotel: Its basic, clean enough, and has a ok cafe. Nothing is very easy to reach unless you have a car on Tortola, so rent one. There is no beach at this hotel only a rocky one to have views of, however a very nice beach "smugglers Cove" is a short taxi ride away, if you ask the hotel they usually know someone to take you there. YOu can walk about 15-25 minutes to another decent beach if you like.
Otherwise there is nothing nearby except the marina of West end, which has a few restaurants, boat day trips, charters and a small convenience store, etc. This is one of the BEST places for the price, which doesn't say much. If this were in America I would compare it to a old, yet clean, motel from the 80's that was never part of a chain but family owned on the side of OLD route 66, without the weird charm of route 66, and no real character. That said, THERE IS LITTLE CHOISE AT ALL ON Tortola, so this os the best bet, other than MYETTES, after that your in another much higher price range.
Its nothing special, but decent and clean, with views and beaches nearby. The staff was friendly enough.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AlmaV1313
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We stayed at Sebastian's last minute. We decided to spend some time on Tortola after staying in Virgin Gorda for a few days....what a mistake!!! The lady (Gayle?) I spoke to on the phone was quite accommodating in helping us with a last minute room. When we arrived at the resort the front desk staff was fine. The real problem with this resort is the rooms and location. Our room was below adequate and definitely needed updating. We felt as though we were staying in a low budget MOTEL in the states. Actually a low budget motel in the states would have been better. In the morning we awoke to loud chickens, barking dogs and loud construction noises out of the window. The crazy thing is that we had the AC on and the windows closed! Another problem was the lack of hot water. We've stayed in the BVI's multiple times and have NEVER had such a problem with the water in a hotel room. Low pressure and Cold water doesn't make for a great shower. Didn't feel like staying in the shower too long anyway since the drain was clogging and the bathroom was not cleaned properly. As for the location, the water was quite choppy while we were there which left a small piece of beach (maybe enough for 5 beach chairs) at the resort. The pictures on the web site look nothing like the actual resort. We ended up checking out after a day. We couldn't have stayed another minute. We met another couple on Tortola who ended up doing the same thing on their trip last year. Do yourself a favor and stay at another resort.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
#10 of 13 in Road Town
Long Bay Beach Club
Long Bay Beach Club
#7 of 25 in Tortola

Been to Sebastian's on the Beach? Share your experiences!